• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Another note. I understand the sail heights are somehow larger than the distance between the underside of the yard it hangs from and the yard below.this is to account for the sail to round off in the wind and to maximize its efficiency. As my sails are hanging in calm, I had to make them a bit shorter for presentation purposes so they do not interfere with structures below the sail.
 
As to possible question, where did I get the sale dimensions and pattern design, I got them scaled down from the picture in the book called HMS victory by McGowan.

IMG_1525.jpeg

IMG_1528.jpeg
 
Front course sail. Reefs are still to be added. The reefs will be the most tedious task with dozens of sails I have to make. The sails will be not furled. They will be hanging in calm. I found it is interesting that per historical records the head rope is about half diameter of the bolt rope. It is not the same size rope around all edges of the sail.

View attachment 626531
This sail looks great Y.T.! I can tell it´s made of fabric, and the lines ar Painted? I see a lot of work and effor on the details around the perimeter of the sail, amazing level of detail!.
How did you make those tiny perforatiosn tha look perfectly round?

Kind Regards

Eduardo Tubino
 
How did you make those tiny perforatiosn tha look perfectly round?
This is 1 to 90 scale so those perforations are very small. They were made just with the needle mounted into the pinvise and spaced by the eyeballing. Seams are not painted but drawn with 5H pencil. I got some color pencil. Color is just suitable to draw a seam line. Next sail I will try it on.
 
Last edited:
I am writing a separate tutorial for how I am building the sails. Here is the link.

 
I am writing a separate tutorial for how I am building the sails. Here is the link.

Thanks a lot for sharing Y.T. !
 
iPhone makes disgusting close up pictures. Sorry.
Really beautiful result with those triple blocks Y.T! I can tell you were working as a miniature blacksmith this copper wire to obtain this flat piece. Then is very good painted or chemically blacken?
 
Back
Top