HMS Victory cross section (De'Agostini)

Finished one box and have painted the beams white.
Box will be stained oak and still need to put the hasps on.
Also played around with making a few random bales of ??.
Not sure if this would be in any way accurate, or if such a thing even existed.
Was thinking of painting them and tying them with some very thin string or cotton.
No idea what colour to paint them though, or what colour cotton to use.
Any ideas?

Last edited:
A little further along.
Lower gun deck beams in place.
Still need to touch up the ends of some of the beams with white paint.
Notice large gap on left where beams meet bulkheads. May have had to pull bulkheads in a little.
[Have checked, but the bulkheads will not move] edited
Have stained three of the boxes

79399 From the back.

Next need to plank the lower gun deck walls.
Before planking the gun deck itself, need to make officers' hammocks and a few other bits and pieces.
Basically, fit out the orlop deck.
Looking forward to that. :)

Last edited:
Totally agree with Mike, I spend a lot of time trying many things, want to make sure I do everything right before I start work,

Mmmmm!
I think you may have inadvertently figured out my problem Knut.
Too MUCH time spent eying up the next stage (and dreaming about how it should look), instead of actually doing it.
:rolleyes:
Stern talk with self coming up.
(I do hate these chats)

Still here.
Have had a few medical problems which precluded any attempts to work on the model. :(
Itching to get back at it.
Been following a few builds on the site.
A lot of beautiful work. Thumbsup

Thanks for the good wishes Jim.
Managed to do a hammock yesterday. :)
I was looking at some pictures of the Dutch Statenjacht on the Dusek site last night and noticed the following picture.

Notice how all of the upper blocks are facing towards the bows.
How does one make sure that they face out?
i.e. the same as the one's below.
(I am hoping my next model will include some rigging)

Last edited:
I am not sure if the upper deadeyes should face (turned) facing either way. IMHO, this is the result of too much thread tension (but I could be wrong)

It could be either or both, but I think the first deadeyes were mounted, then the shrouds tightened\mounted, what makes them twisted.

Hi Tony,
I am not a rigging expert, though. First, you mount stays and shrouds. Then using jig (we have many variations of this jigs) attach upper deadeyes. I think Donnie @Donnie at his Victory build shows the really nice way to laid deadeyes. Please take a look.

Hi Tony,

Dont worry about it to much, its more the thread from being on a spool twist. You can get rid of some of it initially by hanging the cut lengths with a weight overnight.
This take twist out and allow the thread to pre stretch. Once you attach the ratlines lies you will be able to turn the upper eyes before tying which will hold them in the correct position.

Paul

Back