HMS Victory Cross Section, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Raymond Deliz

Very good work - clever idea with these iron bands - have to keep this way in mind for the future
Many Thanks for sharing with us

Greetings everyone,
It's been hot and humid the past few days here but progress continues. I constructed the hold well, which includes the shot locker. Since it is planked on one side and framed on the other, I thought it would be a walk in the park. NONSENSE!!! It actually took a lot of time due to having to incorporate the hold well's door on the side that has frames. I wanted to have the door open but due to a lack of strengthening structure I opted to have the door closed. After completing it, I decided that it looked better closed.

I also wanted to get a feel for how big it was at this scale and used my guy to get a better look. I am quite surprised at how really large the hold well is. In scale size it is approximately 3 inch (77 mm) cubed. In our normal size, it will be equivalent to 12 feet by 12 feet (approximately 3.5 meters) squared. If you think about the homes that people lived in during the construction of the Victory I would say that the hold well was quite roomy.

I also constructed the forward spirit room bulk head which is also half planked and half framed. Everything still needs to be glued in place but will wait in order to have room and space to make all the posts within the hold. Since the hold's posts are crude compared to other decks it should be really straightforward.

I have not received any information in regards to my mini lathe, I may have to actually go to Plan B and use a drill for the construction of the numerous barrels that need to be placed within to starboard side hold.

Here are a few photos.View attachment 162096View attachment 162097View attachment 162098View attachment 162099View attachment 162100View attachment 162101View attachment 162102View attachment 162103View attachment 162104View attachment 162105View attachment 162106
What would the dimensions of the locker be in 1/98 scale? I amd trying to kitbash one for the Corel cross-section model I am building. There is no reference toit at all in the Corel directions or on the plns. Longridge'as book has no information on it.

What would the dimensions of the locker be in 1/98 scale? I amd trying to kitbash one for the Corel cross-section model I am building. There is no reference toit at all in the Corel directions or on the plns. Longridge'as book has no information on it.
Hello uncchains,
Sorry for the delay. It has been a while since I last logged in and decided to take a quick peek. I will get you the information tomorrow and give you an approximate size for 1:96 scale.

Ray

Hello Uncchains,
Sorry for the delay as I am currently repairing/modifying a motorcycle. The attached drawing is of the hold well and shot locker. It will be half size of the one I made for my cross section.

Ray20230302_102646.jpg

Hello Uncchains,
Sorry for the delay as I am currently repairing/modifying a motorcycle. The attached drawing is of the hold well and shot locker. It will be half size of the one I made for my cross section.

RayView attachment 360464
WOW!! Thank you very much. I had to slide out the Orlop Deck, re move all the ballast rock I had glued in and
Hello Uncchains,

RayView attachment 360464
Thank you very much! I had to do a little modifying to get mine to fit. I had to reinstall the piece in the lower deck through which the mast is inserted to allow a bit more room for the pump shafts. Do you have asimilar drawing for the continuation on the orlop deck? I'm using the plans from the De Agostini model but, of course, they don't give dimensipons so its hard to judge. If the plans show the pieces on the cuting board, I can sometimes estimate L & W by the spacing on the board. Height is just the gap between decks. According to a list of discrepancies I found, the Corel kit's hull is too narrow. Nothing I can do about that. I probably could have ordered those two halves and extended the section accordingly. I'm glad I have my finished Mamoli version of the entire ship for comparison and orientation. Any suggestion wold be greatly appreciated.

I know, that the shot locker of the Victory was / is really high
View attachment 162153

For such details the Victory cross section of De Agostini was really good
View attachment 162154

But I have the feeling, that your figurine is a relatively small guy - but on the other hand, the Victory is a big vessel
Very good work oin the bilge pump room and the shot-locker Thumbsup
Mine is in 1/96 scale, a good bit smaller than the De Agostini version and much less detailed out of the box. I'm having to do, and going to have to do a lot of research and kitbashing to get it anywhere near what it should look like IAW "Nelson's 100 gun navy and Longridge.

Very nice work. One can apply so much more detail in larger scales. Is there any chance you could ask Mr. McCay what the height of the pipes in the pump well are/were? I have read through his book three times and cannot find an answer to this question. Longridge gives less than one paragraph to the subject in his book which I find surprising given the great detail he gives to other parts of the ship. I have a reference that gives the diameters of pipes and dimensions of the square pieces, but no lengths for the pipes. It would be a great help if I could get this information.

Thanks

Hello Everyone,
It has been over a year since I've retired from the military and I finally find myself at liberty to follow my dream, construction of a cross section of the HMS Victory. I must confess that the liberty I am currently enjoying is a break from the my wife's "Honey-Do" list so I will try to get as much done as possible. Please do not misunderstand that I will sacrifice details in order to speed through the process but rather understand that I will give 100% attention to the construction of my project while also trying to please my wife. Everyone here should understand the, "Happy Wife, Happy Life" concept so if I disappear for a spell, know this, my wife is the Admiral and what she says goes.

I fell in love with the aspect of one day being able to scratch build a cross section of the HMS Victory. I acquired the AOTS The 100-gun ship Victory by John Mckay and HMS Victory Owners' Workshop Manual by Peter Goodwin. Both books have extensive details and I must point out that Mr. Goodwin's book has a lot more historical information and plenty of colored photos from different areas aboard the HMS Victory for reference. There is plenty of information within both books for a person to feel comfortable enough to take on this challenge. The challenging part for me was to decide how large of a cross section I wanted to build. I previously constructed a cross section of the HMS Triton but did not add enough frames to incorporate the full main channel, thus not having enough space to add all of the ratlines. With this in mind, I decided to go ahead and order plans from Mr. Mckay.

After doing research and finally getting an email address, I was able to get in contact with Mr. Mckay back in January 2019. Mr. Mckay was an absolute delight to work with and after discussing which sheets of his drawings I wanted at 1:48 scale, we exchanged information so as to send him his funds via Paypal. Once the funds cleared, Mr. Mckay sent me my drawings and I could not have been more pleased with them. If Mr. Mckay is any sign of Canadian hospitality and professionalism, then I must say that Mr. Mckay is an ambassador for our neighbors to the North. So Mr. Mckay, if you ever read this post, many thanks for your hospitality and professionalism.

Now that I have the drawings on hand, I am able to decide how large of a cross section I want to tackle. Since I want to add all of the main mast's ratlines, I have decided to start from frame (B) going aft to frame 17 in order to have the full main channel on my cross section. I also want to add the main mast all the way up to the main pole mast. Once completed, the cross section will be massive. She will be 55 1/2 inches (140.97 cm) tall from sole plate to main pole mast and 31 inches (78.74 cm) wide from either side of the main lower studding sail booms.

Since I decided to go from frames (B) to frame 17, I placed tracing paper of the drawings and finally have patterns to work with. I chose this method because I did not want to ruin the original drawings so as to keep them pristine as long as possible. After completing the drawings, I could not resist and wanted to compare one of my drawings to one of the drawings of guild's group project, the Blanford. Talk about one huge difference. The Blandford, at frame 1, is a modest 7 inches (17.78 cm) wide while the Victory, at frame (B) is a whopping 12 1/2 inches (31.75 cm) wide.

Below are a few photos of what I have thus far. Please enjoy and I look forward to updating everyone with my progress.

Raymond
Hallo @ziled68
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Thank you for the Birthday wishes.
Are you building the De Agostini version of the HMS VICTORY cross-section kit? If so, would it be possible for you to let me know the dimensions of the chain pumps. I am building the Corel version and it is woefully inaccurate and does not include these. Therefore, I'm having to make lots of items, including the pumps from scratch. It would be most helpful to know what the dimensions are so that I can rescale them (1/78) for my model.

Thanks in advance.

Here is what the metal bracing looks like once installed/glued onto the deck beam and hanging knees.

RaymondView attachment 280543View attachment 280544
Might I ask, what are the dimensions of the chain pumps in your model? Scale? I am building the Corel version and it does not include these so I'm having to build them from scratch. It would be most helpful if I could get the dimensions, rescale them to 1/78, and build them for my model.

Thanks in advance

Are you building the De Agostini version of the HMS VICTORY cross-section kit? If so, would it be possible for you to let me know the dimensions of the chain pumps. I am building the Corel version and it is woefully inaccurate and does not include these. Therefore, I'm having to make lots of items, including the pumps from scratch. It would be most helpful to know what the dimensions are so that I can rescale them (1/78) for my model.

Thanks in advance.
These are the sketches shown in the McKain book

IMG_25581.jpg

These are the sketches shown in the McKain book

View attachment 376092

Thank you very much!! I am trying to get this book through my library here. I hope it will provide me more information about other items Corel conveniently left out and/or overlooked in its expediency to get something on the market. This is very helpful.

Back