Hohenzollernmodell 1660-1670 Scale 1/21

Yes, there has been some progress in the past weeks. I've been meaning to post an update for a while now. I am currently in England enjoying a weeks holiday with my family. Will be back on Friday and will be happy to update the thread after my return.
Ok - good to hear
So we wish a beautiful week in England...... do you visit also a naval museum or Portsmouth or something similar?

No Naval Museums this time round, there were three weddings in my family in one week! Two in Germany and one in England, two were on the same day! Lots of parties and now's the time to dry out again!

Anyway, here's the promised update! The upper gundeck planking is now almost complete. Here's a view of the main cabin with completed deck planks and additional work done to the cupboards:

This picture was taken while I was halfway through the planking. Four sections of the deck can be removed to view the interior. Here these sections are in place:

And here the sections removed:

I also built the "small" capstan which is located underneath the forecastle deck. Once it was done I noticed it isn't that small at all.

The nearly completed upper gun-deck:

I was getting a bit tired of the mess tarred shrouds create, so I tried out shrouds with pre-coloured dark brown lines:

Far better! I think I'm going to use these:

All main gundeck knees and riders are now in place. Here's the completed Konstapelkammer which I did today:

And here for comparison a view of the historic model:

Regards and thanks for dropping in.
Peter

Hallo Peter,
These photos comparing your model with the original model are really amazing - Great work.
BTW: I like the decision to the different ropes very much, and can fully understand you. Handling with the tar can be really problematic (and stinky)

High time for the next update! Two weeks ago I was fortunate enough to examine the "Gent Model" with a few friends. This is also a contemporary model of the Dutch Two-Decker which is slightly larger than the Hohenzollern model, maybe in 1:18th scale.

The model has been seriously messed about with in the past centuries. The rigging isn't original and also parts of the masts aren't. Until about two decades ago the model had white bands painted on the hull which were common after Nelson's days. The Gent Model also dates from the second half of the 17th century, my guess is that it is slightly younger than the Hohenzollernmodel but some scholars disagree.

I believe that the model wasn't built by the same shop that built the HZM as it isn't as well built and not as detailed. There are also very noticable differences in "handwriting"

The model isn't on public Display. It is in storage of the STAM-Museum in Gent Belgium and the Museum staff were very helpful and allowed us to handle the model and take measurements.

Now, you can imagine that examining a historic model, which is very similar to the one I am building, questions were answered, but on the other hand - many more questions popped up. As the model is so big we were able to take photos of the interior. Here's the best Picture of them all, taken by my good friend "amateur" from the German Forum:

This is the only known photograph of the great cabin of a Dutch Two-Decker facing aft. Note the bench at the bottom of the Picture! Splendid!

We were there for a few hours, but we all agree, we need to go back more than once.

Work on my model is progressing well. The lower gun-deck is almost completed!

I wasn't really very happy with the bronze cannon that were cast in a local foundry so I contacted our very own Alexey Baranov from Ukrania to see if he might cast cannon for me in the lost wax method. Indeed he is now casting 26 fourteen-pounder bronze cannons for me. Here's what they look like, look at the Detail! This quality can only be acchieved by a modelmaker for a modelmaker!

I'm certain you don't mind me posting one of your Pictures here, Alexey! :)

And the sculptor has been busy too!

The carving to the right of the transom is new; and I'm making sure that he won't get bored. New templates for new carvings are being prepared:

Thanks for checking in! :)

Peter

In the past week I continued building the cartridge shelves for the Kontapelkammer. A template was cut out from cardboard for one of the rear walls. Small snippets of cardboard were used to follow the contours of the inside hull wall.

Here is the real wall made from oak:

Here the port-side shelf is finished including the "Steunder"

The same template that was used to form the rear wall was used for the standing knees:

Several attempts were needed before I was happy with the shape of the knee. Here the knee is drawen onto oak-wood:

and here the fully shaped item:

I think I can live with this:

Regards
Peter
Great detail
Love your work
Cheers snowy

Hallo Peter,
many thanks for your update - would like to see more often some of your progress, due to the fact, that it is highly interesting what you are doing on the model.
Your visit of the Museum and the possibility to take a longer detailed look at the Gent model - these are highly valuable research possibilities
Like you said: questions were answered, but on the other hand - many more questions popped up.
But never miss such a possibility for research!
I want fully agree with you, about the quality of the gun-barrels made by Alexey Baranov - they are looking extremely good - He is a master in these fields

Work on the maindeck is progressing well, the to-do list beore adding the upper deck is getting shorter.
Ringbolts have been added to the deck on both sides:

In the meantime I have received the cannons from Alexey, they are superb! Thanks for your help, Alexey! :)

All knees are now completed and firmy fixed to the hull:

The shot-bins are being added too:

Note the sand-pit to the far right:

The two ladders leading from the upper deck down to the maindeck have been built:

I built a new stack for the galley-stove

And attached it to the deck

And here the trunk of the upper deck capstan:

Thanks for checking in! :)

Peter

Hallo Peter,
we from SOS wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your special day

Birthday-Cake

Und von mir noch einen ganz besonderen Gruß auf deutsch - Alles Gute zum Geburtstag

My Word! the last update was before Christmas! Sorry for taking so Long, quite a bit has happened in the meantime. First and foremost the sculptor has a new sculpture under preparation. It has been sent to me to fit it to the hull, here it is at the top of the taffrel:

That was back in December and the carving is still here being filed and fitted before it'll be sent back for fine-carving.

Work on the maindeck is also progressing well, here's one of the bilge pumps under construction:

I also took up the challenge of producing the chains for the deadeyes. They are formed from 2.5mm brass rod. Bending them is by no means easy, I have to heat the rod first with a blow-lamp.

And yes, you might have guessed, it took me several attempts to get them right. I am now finally pleased with the mainmast chains on the port side:

J4100014a.jpg

Thanks for checking in!

Peter

Back