Hohenzollernmodell 1660-1670 Scale 1/75 POF build by Stephan Kertész (Steef66)

Backpack and ship ready for a 2,5 hour trip to Amsterdam. Only have to pack the sandwiches and a good mood. That last will be no problem. :)

View attachment 397441
As an expert ;), I am happy that your 'backpack transport' went well. It was nice to see your progress next to Maarten's.
Your 'scheerstrook' treatise is extensive, daring but respected.
Regards, Peter

It is interesting to see how you get caught up with the challenges that the scheerstrook poses in your build. The same goes for @Maarten with the shape of the bilge plank in his Fluyt build. Maybe you can understand now the frustration that research can sometime cause and can see why my log is 300+ pages. As soon as you focus one aspect and think you have the answer, another issue crops up which throws everything out again. Also, be careful of applying certain "rules" on certain Dutch ships' builds to all Dutch ships. That can simply not be done. Lastly, you are assuming that Witsen was correct. Are you sure?
Thank you Heinrich, it was a journey I'll do not forget quick, a good lesson to understand a huge part in how these ship where build. Do I trust Cornelis and Nicolaes? Yes their books are a high value to us. Together with pictures of v/d Velde for example or Models that come from that era. You talk about first and second party information. There are facts you can doubt about. But next to that you can trust them because there is not a lot of evidence they don't. Maybe in the next decades we learn more from archaeology, or other findings. But in this time this is all we got. Then there are third party books, writers, opinions, etc.... I used them to understand the material, even discuss with them in a respectful way to understand. You can share the same opinion or not, but to say that someone is wrong or incorrect?
I always go back to Cornelis and Nicolaes what they say about the subject to form my opinion in the subject. That's why I tried to explain, hopefully in a easy way to understand, what my findings are. If Witse is fully correct? Sometimes I think, he makes mistakes but on the other way, I think: Do we understand 100% the method he describes to say he's wrong? Besides of mistakes in the writing, I found some of them in the book of Cornelis too. Fully understandable, it happens even in these days when you write a book.

About certain rules, your right. I don't depend on them, because I believe these rules are just guidelines in the Dutch shipbuilding. I took a conclusion about how these carpenters work on these shipyards. The Dutch way of handling cost. To be effective and fast builders.
For example:

I grew up in a family with just one parent, my mother. We weren't rich, but we could manage things with what we got. I love to play with Lego blocks as a child. But in my case I didn't had a big box with blocks, I got just a small one. So when I want to build the Enterprise of Star Trek, it didn't look exactly like the Enterprise, but it got the shape. That was because I only had that amount of blocks to build it. I needed a lot of imagination to get it done. And a lot of imagination was needed to recognize the Enterprise. ROTF

That's how I look to the build of a ship on a 17th century Dutch shipyard. They got an order to build a ship, with as less of possible materials, as cheap as possible and as quick as possible. With a big stack of wood they could use. So sometimes they had to make decisions in their build to fit in the material they had. So tiny imperfections where allowed.

I grew up in a family with just one parent, my mother. We weren't rich, but we could manage things with what we got. I love to play with Lego blocks as a child. But in my case I didn't had a big box with blocks, I got just a small one. So when I want to build the Enterprise of Star Trek, it didn't look exactly like the Enterprise, but it got the shape. That was because I only had that amount of blocks to build it. I needed a lot of imagination to get it done. And a lot of imagination was needed to recognize the Enterprise. ROTF
This is how true champions are formed! respect!

@Bela Ich habe eine Übersetzung des Textes ins Deutsche beigefügt.

I have attached a translation of the piece in German.

And one in Dutch

Edit 6-10-2023

Attachments

• German.pdf
    860.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Nederlands.pdf
    858 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
I love to play with Lego blocks as a child. But in my case I didn't had a big box with blocks, I got just a small one. So when I want to build the Enterprise of Star Trek, it didn't look exactly like the Enterprise, but it got the shape. That was because I only had that amount of blocks to build it. I needed a lot of imagination to get it done. And a lot of imagination was needed to recognize the Enterprise. ROTF
Well Stephan, this is probably where your ingenuity and innovation comes from when you build your tools and gadgets! :D

Your investigative nature is sure to help you clarify things to a certain extent. I think you and Maarten have built a partnership, helping each other with the ambiguous nature of the Dutch ship building methods.

I've read completely through your posts, but like someone else mentioned I will need to go back and reread, maybe more than one more time, partially due to the complexity of the content and partially due to my poor reading comprehension. ROTF

Really good stuff mate!

Well Stephan, this is probably where your ingenuity and innovation comes from when you build your tools and gadgets! :D

Your investigative nature is sure to help you clarify things to a certain extent. I think you and Maarten have built a partnership, helping each other with the ambiguous nature of the Dutch ship building methods.

I've read completely through your posts, but like someone else mentioned I will need to go back and reread, maybe more than one more time, partially due to the complexity of the content and partially due to my poor reading comprehension. ROTF

Really good stuff mate!
Thanks Ken, these are very nice words.
And you're welcome to come back here and read the stuff again, as often you will ROTF
Just joking, I read some part a dozen times before I understand what is ment. And if you never plan to build a scratch Dutch ship, leave the reading to just 1 time.

Hi Folks, Welcome back!

September last year I worked on this ship the last time. After that I did a lot of research on this one, worked on the Clipper and the Prins Willem. And read a lot in the time my hands where offline. But now I can work again with my hands. Have to avoid to much power on my left hand but I can work with wood again.
So I started making"and placing those "buikstukken". But I also did a Re-do on the stern.
IMG_3342.JPG

These hull planks are placed vertical, did this without thinking. I was to much with my brain somewhere else I think. Maarten suggested once that these are wrong. I should replace them in that time, because I knew it will be a thing I will never forget. That little voice always telling me "they are wrong".

It was a very difficult job to get them of and a more difficult job to get them back, because the hull planks on the bottom are already installed and it was difficult to get them fit in. But I succeeded. The pictures show the planks installed, the glue isn't fully dried and I need to sand it. (the gun ports need to cut out too)

IMG_4405.JPGIMG_4406.JPGIMG_4407.JPGIMG_4408.JPG

The more I work on this model, the more I realise the scale of it is to small for this kind of build. 1:50 was a better scale to work in. So maybe a major Re-do is coming up.

Hello Stefan, nice to see you working on the model again. Well, I know that little voice all too well, I'm thinking of the rear of my La Palme, it always said "not good, it doesn't fit" etc. well, sometimes you have to do it again. It looks very good despite the difficulties, great work again.

IMG_1576.jpeg

You mentioned earlier in my log that you do the moldings by hand, respect for that achievement. How exactly do you go about this process? When I look at this molding, it looks fantastic.

Hello Stefan, nice to see you working on the model again. Well, I know that little voice all too well, I'm thinking of the rear of my La Palme, it always said "not good, it doesn't fit" etc. well, sometimes you have to do it again. It looks very good despite the difficulties, great work again.

View attachment 441668

You mentioned earlier in my log that you do the moldings by hand, respect for that achievement. How exactly do you go about this process? When I look at this molding, it looks fantastic.
Thanks Tobias.

I used these tools to make it. End mills, little chisels and files.
Just marking with the knife a straight line and then use what can be useful. First the chisel, then the end mills and at least those files of corradi cut 2 (extra fine)

The end mills are a kind of practise you need. Just learn them to use. Every mill has a different approach. When you find out how they work the best, you can do anything with them.

IMG_3282.JPGIMG_3286.JPGIMG_3287.JPG

Last edited:
Good to see you're back in the shipyard. Too bad you are plagued with redo's and second thoughts; the issue about the scale selection is a rather significant one. The sooner you get that sorted out the better...
Thanks Johan, yes scale is always a problem. The other problem of building bigger is the space you got. Does it fit?
Good to see you back on the podium, Stephan. And that your hands are willing to help you again. Nice work, even it’s a re-do.
Regards, Peter
Thank you Peter, it feels good to work again on th HZ. Working with wood is stil the most satisfied to do.

Back