Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Hello Friends,

Progress has been slow. In part because I'm still figuring out a good work flow for this stage of the build - but probably more so because of limited modeling time.

Nevertheless, I have now completed the rooms/spaces located on the aft platform. Worth noting is that I will only be including buildouts on the starboard side of the ship (generally speaking).

It's pretty much impossible to take good photos - this was the best I could do...

Overall view:

View attachment 434852

View attachment 434847

And now sneaking in as best I can:

View attachment 434850

View attachment 434849

View attachment 434848

View attachment 434853

View attachment 434851

Next, I will turn my attention to the forward platform and then return to the center of the ship.

My thanks for the visit!
MAGNIFICENT!!!!! Thank you for giving us this work to celebrate and delight in!

Hello Friends,

My thanks for the recent posts and likes - you're a fine bunch!

Work has progressed on the build-out of the forward platform. Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures during the construction itself. Individual work sessions were often short and spread out over many days, so I guess it never seemed like time to take a picture... :confused:

Apart from the multiple floor heights, however, the bulkheads, walls, and doors were pretty much the same as the aft platform.

Here's a few finish images (once again, only the starboard side is being built):

IMG_0547.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

IMG_0552.JPG

And now here's a picture with the forward deck beams and carlings loosely positioned. The vertical posts are the riding bitt uprights (these needed to be roughed in at this point because they pass through the platform decking, are notched to the lower deck beam, and had to have their heels 'fitted').

IMG_0554.JPG

The lower deck hook and eking pieces:

IMG_0559.JPG

And just a parting shot of the aft platform with beams and carlings:

IMG_0555.JPG

Next up: the balance of the lower deck and associated structures.

Thanks for the visit!

Hello Friends,

Work has progressed on the build-out of the forward platform. Unfortunately, I failed to take any pictures during the construction itself. Individual work sessions were often short and spread out over many days, so I guess it never seemed like time to take a picture... :confused:

Apart from the multiple floor heights, however, the bulkheads, walls, and doors were pretty much the same as the aft platform.

Here's a few finish images (once again, only the starboard side is being built):

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

And now here's a picture with the forward deck beams and carlings loosely positioned. The vertical posts are the riding bitt uprights (these needed to be roughed in at this point because they pass through the platform decking, are notched to the lower deck beam, and had to have their heels 'fitted').

View attachment 436355

View attachment 436357

View attachment 436356

Thanks for the visit!
Beautiful painting, no stray red. Love the new Avatar too. Who is it? Paul in costume?

Hello Friends,

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

View attachment 436355

View attachment 436357

View attachment 436356

Thanks for the visit!
Good morning Paul. Wonderful joinery and wood work. The boxwood is working for this Kingfisher. I see that you used cut outs rather than bars for the “prison” doors. Effective. The neatness and perfection of the carlings and beans is so very good. This is a display of your enormous skill set- shot ! Cheers Grant

Hello Friends,

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

View attachment 436355

View attachment 436357

View attachment 436356

Thanks for the visit!
Exquisite, Paul. Your attention to detail defies the camera to find fault. A real pleasure to follow you and your build.

I suppose we may make typing errors, but spelling mistakes ... naah! Actually, the spelling issue is an interesting one. I was brought up and taught British English so "centimeter; behavior; humorous and the like) still do not sit well with me! ROTF
Typing errors/spelling mistakes... Same as being lost or being temporarily disoriented...
Originally we were taught British English, but over the years our vocabulary was contaminated by US English. Now I don't have a clue anymore on what's the correct spelling.

I always love your update too, your work is so neat and precise. Hats off to that. I can't manage that accuracy yet.
Thanks Stephan. I've seen you do things that I can't do yet either. It sure is fun to have goals though!

Great progress. Perfectly excuted and and I see a collection of exquisite joinery.
Joinery, an endless, infuriating pursuit... ROTF

Beautiful painting, no stray red. Love the new Avatar too. Who is it? Paul in costume?
Thanks Michael. Not painted though - its a water-based ink so the treenails and wood grain still show through (sort of). Not sure I'm a raving fan of the color, but now I'm committed.

Wonderful work, Paul. The painted walls, the details, ... - your model looks exactly as I dream for my Fly.
Ahh, I have no doubt you will exceed my work in every way possible. I can't wait to see it!

Dear Paul
you are doing Wonderful work Okay:).
it's a great pleasure to see your accurate and beautiful job
Thank you kindly, Shota. I can tell you it's more fun than cutting out and sanding frames :D.

Witaj
Twoja praca Pawle jest piękna ,z przyjemnością się ją ogląda. Pozdrawiam Mirek
You are very kind, Mirek. I like your work too!

Good morning Paul. Wonderful joinery and wood work. The boxwood is working for this Kingfisher. I see that you used cut outs rather than bars for the “prison” doors. Effective. The neatness and perfection of the carlings and beans is so very good. This is a display of your enormous skill set- shot ! Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant. I DO like the boxwood though it tends to be rather monochromatic and I can make walls that look like plywood because it joins so well. I have needed to add back some contrast to create the look of individual boards (pencil). On the doors I've chosen to sand/bevel the edges to make it look like something other than a cheap hollow core door from the home improvement center.

RE: the prison doors. Yup. When I first saw those on the plans (in the book) I thought I would go in another direction but then I forgot I was going to do that and built them as you see. Others have used iron bars but I rather prefer the wood bars. I may have a go at a louvered door in the future if I can find a place where that would make sense.

Exquisite, Paul. Your attention to detail defies the camera to find fault. A real pleasure to follow you and your build.
Hi Ian. It's hard to hide from the macro images ROTF. My eyes are drawn to the flaws like a moth to flame...

Modeling on a different level... Beautiful!
Inspired by people like you Johan!

Hello Friends,

View attachment 436350

View attachment 436352

View attachment 436351

View attachment 436353

View attachment 436354

View attachment 436355

View attachment 436357

View attachment 436356

Thanks for the visit!
Delightful!!! Do you find yourself imagining you were a tiny person walking through the ship? I'm doing it right now. Yes, it will pass the admiral's inspection! I love it!

Back