Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Thank you, Grant. Multiplying skills are common on this forum!

Much appreciated Christian. I was expecting you to be the one who pointed out I was building the mirror image of TFFM. Not exactly sure how that happened but now I'm committed ROTF.

The first version or the fifth? ROTF

My solution was to glue a tiny rectangle of wood (the precise size of the interior of the frames) down to a piece of cardstock. I then built the perimeter frame around that rectangle of wood (glueing the corners). Then I added the mica glass (glued with CA to the perimeter frame). Now I could remove the window panel and insert the mullions. Like most everything, it was easy once I figured out how to make it easy.
Thank you Paul. Much appreciated.

In your post of March 2, these photos: imag-0449 and 0523, showed long black hinges. Didi you purchase these and if so, from whom? If not, did you scratch build them? If this is how you "acquired" these very attractive pieces, how did you construct them and what material did you use? I need to make six pairs for my HMS VICTORY cross-section. The ones that came with the Corel kit are too big and unattractive. Any suggestions/advice will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.

In your post of March 2, these photos: imag-0449 and 0523, showed long black hinges. Didi you purchase these and if so, from whom? If not, did you scratch build them? If this is how you "acquired" these very attractive pieces, how did you construct them and what material did you use? I need to make six pairs for my HMS VICTORY cross-section. The ones that came with the Corel kit are too big and unattractive. Any suggestions/advice will be greatly welcomed and appreciated.
These were recycled photoetch hinges that came with my Vasa kit.

But for the shot locker I just made the hinges from scratch:

IMG_0369.JPG

I started with brass bar stock 0.15 mm thick and 1.5 mm wide and used a sanding disc attached to a rotary tooth and sanded the taper. I then added 0.6 mm head bolts that I had made using brass rod and a cup burr.

Hope this helps.

These were recycled photoetch hinges that came with my Vasa kit.

But for the shot locker I just made the hinges from scratch:

View attachment 434099

I started with brass bar stock 0.15 mm thick and 1.5 mm wide and used a sanding disc attached to a rotary tooth and sanded the taper. I then added 0.6 mm head bolts that I had made using brass rod and a cup burr.

Hope this helps.
Yes it does, thanks. Who made the Vasa you built? I am also working on a Vasa but it is a Corel kit and like my Victory cross-section kit, leaves a bit to be desired. I don't have hinges anything like what you had with yours. I do have quite a bit of photo-etch brass and steel (?) from the many jet models I have built and I am thinking I might be able to make some suitable hinges out of that material. I'll need to get some blackening solution. My C-S is 1/98, a bit smaller than yours but this photo gives me quite a bit to go on.

I based my build on the DeAgostini kit (this is virtually identical to the Artesania Latina kit) at 1:65ish
I am using that model as well (DA has a cross-section model) and used DeAgostini's instruction sheets when I was building my Mamoli version of the full ship. I have often wished that DeAgostini sold individual parts like Cornwall, Model Expo, and other model makers. I have looked at the Eduard photo-etch site to see if there are any suitable "hinges" but have not found anything. Eduard makes photo etch items mostly for aircraft and modern warships. I'll try to fashion something from the remains of left over photo etched sprues.

Hello Friends,

Progress has been slow. In part because I'm still figuring out a good work flow for this stage of the build - but probably more so because of limited modeling time.

Nevertheless, I have now completed the rooms/spaces located on the aft platform. Worth noting is that I will only be including buildouts on the starboard side of the ship (generally speaking).

It's pretty much impossible to take good photos - this was the best I could do...

Overall view:

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0536.JPG

And now sneaking in as best I can:

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0539.JPG

IMG_0537.JPG

IMG_0546.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

Next, I will turn my attention to the forward platform and then return to the center of the ship.

My thanks for the visit!

Hello Friends,

Progress has been slow. In part because I'm still figuring out a good work flow for this stage of the build - but probably more so because of limited modeling time.

Nevertheless, I have now completed the rooms/spaces located on the aft platform. Worth noting is that I will only be including buildouts on the starboard side of the ship (generally speaking).

It's pretty much impossible to take good photos - this was the best I could do...

Overall view:

View attachment 434852

View attachment 434847

View attachment 434850

View attachment 434849

View attachment 434848

View attachment 434853

View attachment 434851

Next, I will turn my attention to the forward platform and then return to the center of the ship.

My thanks for the visit!
Stunningly beautiful work...

Hello Friends,

Overall view:

View attachment 434852

View attachment 434847

View attachment 434850

View attachment 434849

View attachment 434848

View attachment 434853

View attachment 434851

My thanks for the visit!
Simply amazing, a treat for the eyes.

Hello Friends,

Overall view:

View attachment 434852

View attachment 434847

View attachment 434850

View attachment 434849

View attachment 434848

View attachment 434853

View attachment 434851

My thanks for the visit!
That is a very good looking representative interior, Paul. Those ‘double doors’ with a double pair of hinges looks great.
Regards, Peter

Amazing work in miniature detail Paul. Hinges everywhere you would expect to see them. I can see you have made special effort to perfect them. The two hinges next to the hull on the port side for that wall opening, WOW tiny but look functional!!

Back