Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

Construction of the magazine (gun powder and cartridges) and light room continued this week with the addition of some details...

The floor of this portion of the ship is a layered affair which means everything can't be seen at the same time. To that end I will be skipping the lead floor lining. But I will include some palleting supported by beams and a segmented carling (beam posts interrupt the carling):

View attachment 432029

A closer look (note the perimeter rabbet):

View attachment 432030

And now with the pallets (panels) in place. The addition of battens kept stuff off the floor:

View attachment 432031

View attachment 432032

Very fiddly work all around.

Next, I added a box around the mizzen mast (open on one side for viewing):

View attachment 432033

View attachment 432034

This brought me to the forward wall of the magazine and light room. First, some wall panels were glued up and shaped to fit the contours of the hull. The little hatch/doorway on the far left will lead to a bread room:

View attachment 432035

The tiny window frames will eventually allow candlelight (?) into the light room. I had to wear stronger glasses for this part:

View attachment 432036

Mica was used for the glass. Here is the light box under construction:

View attachment 432037

View attachment 432038

View attachment 432039

A support piece was added to the bottom of the light box (and never to be seen again once the wall panel is installed):

View attachment 432042

And now (temporarily) in place:

View attachment 432040

View attachment 432041

I'm not sure if the light box is my best work on a model to date - but it's in the running...:). That thing is super tiny and delicate - almost impossible to work on.

Until next time...
Ok, many "Wow, Wow!'s on your excellent work Thumbsup. Now if you don't mind my asking, how did you do/make the window frames?.

Last edited:
Construction of the magazine (gun powder and cartridges) and light room continued this week with the addition of some details...

The floor of this portion of the ship is a layered affair which means everything can't be seen at the same time. To that end I will be skipping the lead floor lining. But I will include some palleting supported by beams and a segmented carling (beam posts interrupt the carling):

View attachment 432029

A closer look (note the perimeter rabbet):

View attachment 432030

And now with the pallets (panels) in place. The addition of battens kept stuff off the floor:

View attachment 432031

View attachment 432032

Very fiddly work all around.

Next, I added a box around the mizzen mast (open on one side for viewing):

View attachment 432033

View attachment 432034

This brought me to the forward wall of the magazine and light room. First, some wall panels were glued up and shaped to fit the contours of the hull. The little hatch/doorway on the far left will lead to a bread room:

View attachment 432035

The tiny window frames will eventually allow candlelight (?) into the light room. I had to wear stronger glasses for this part:

View attachment 432036

Mica was used for the glass. Here is the light box under construction:

View attachment 432037

View attachment 432038

View attachment 432039

A support piece was added to the bottom of the light box (and never to be seen again once the wall panel is installed):

View attachment 432042

And now (temporarily) in place:

View attachment 432040

View attachment 432041

I'm not sure if the light box is my best work on a model to date - but it's in the running...:). That thing is super tiny and delicate - almost impossible to work on.

Until next time...
Splendid work

Like others have said your work never disappoints.
I too will keep to form and ask exactly how did you do it.
Specifically how do create such consistent rounded edges on such small pieces of wood?
I’m hoping the answer is not sandpaper.
Thanks Paul.
Sandpaper ROTF. Glued to a small block of wood.

Good morning Paul. Ditto on everyone’s comments. You have skills and they multiplying….Cheers Grant
Thank you, Grant. Multiplying skills are common on this forum!

This is looking really good
Much appreciated Christian. I was expecting you to be the one who pointed out I was building the mirror image of TFFM. Not exactly sure how that happened but now I'm committed ROTF.

Ok, many "Wow, Wow!'s on your excellent work Thumbsup. Now if you don't mind my asking, how did you do/make the window frames?.
The first version or the fifth? ROTF

My solution was to glue a tiny rectangle of wood (the precise size of the interior of the frames) down to a piece of cardstock. I then built the perimeter frame around that rectangle of wood (glueing the corners). Then I added the mica glass (glued with CA to the perimeter frame). Now I could remove the window panel and insert the mullions. Like most everything, it was easy once I figured out how to make it easy.

Good morning Paul, absolutely neat work.
Your attention to detail is wonderful and the smaller the parts get the more difficult it becomes. Your lamp box is perfect, as is the rest of your work. Simply fantastic.
You're working in a master class, it's just wonderful to watch you. Your lamp box is absolutely outstanding.
Vielen Dank, meine Freunde.

It's actually the work that you guys do that impresses me! What a delight to see what can be accomplished at scale. I'm just trying to keep up!

The first version or the fifth? ROTF

My solution was to glue a tiny rectangle of wood (the precise size of the interior of the frames) down to a piece of cardstock. I then built the perimeter frame around that rectangle of wood (glueing the corners). Then I added the mica glass (glued with CA to the perimeter frame). Now I could remove the window panel and insert the mullions. Like most everything, it was easy once I figured out how to make it easy.
Great work Paul. Especially envy your windows and I was about to ask the same question.
I guess making two instead twenty eight makes job much easierROTF

I have no idea what to add to the comments that are already written , so al i say is WOW
Thank you my friend!

Great work on the light box. Amazing how much work goes into such a tiny part
Hi Geoff, thanks for this nice post!

At your level of expertise I can’t help your friend with an answer. But I do know your friend needs to know how long it takes to read through your build logs ROTF.
ROTF ROTF ROTF Yup. Already eclipsed the century mark :(. Sigh...

Back