Kingfisher 1770 1:48 POF

There is no plank glued, not 1 drop of glue spilled and we are allready on page 3 of this topic. The bar is open! :cool:
I must say your Vasa is a masterpiece and I'm sure this "saved" Kingfisher kit of LSS will be another one. Good luck Paul and count me in.

Hello Paul! I've been running down the dock and just jumped aboard your build here before she takes off. I'm excited and looking forward to watching your new build. I know you will enjoy this, especially at 1:48.

In January of 1766 the Royal Navy ordered two ships to be built conforming to a new design developed by the Surveyor of the Navy, Sir John Williams. The first of these was launched in November 1767 (Swan) and the second (Kingfisher) was launched in July of 1770 (but not completed until November 1770). As a curiosity many English records show the name of this second ship as Kings Fisher (or Kingsfisher).

Twenty-three more ships were ordered to the same design between 1773 and 1779. You are probably familiar with some of them: Fly, Pegasus, Swift (Vulture, Atalanta, Thorn) as they have appeared on this forum and others as kit or scratch builds.

Swan-class sloops were rated at 14 guns though from the very beginning they were designed with 16 gunports. In time, the additional two guns were added but the nominal rating was left unchanged.

Swan-class sloops were the ‘standard’ ship design of the British Navy during the American Revolutionary War during which eleven of them were lost (including Kingfisher). Surviving vessels went on to serve during the French Revolutionary War and the Napoleonic War.

It is necessary to identify this ship as the Kingfisher 1770 because there are at least 13 additional ships of this name listed in the records of the Royal Navy. There is even a Kingfisher class of ship built during the 20th century.

The Kingfisher 1770 was built by master shipwright Joseph Harris at the Chatham Dockyard, sailed for America in August of 1771, and notably participated in the blockade of Delaware Harbor and the Battle of Turtle Gut Inlet. She was burned by her own crew to avoid capture (by the French) on 7 August 1778 in Narragansett Bay during the Battle of Rhode Island.

Here are her vitals:
  • Length: 96 ft 8 ½ in (29.5 m) (gundeck), 78 ft 10 ½ in (24.0 m) (keel)
  • Beam: 26 ft 10 in (8.2 m)
  • Depth of hold: 12 ft 10 in (3.91 m)
  • Tons burthen: 302 bm
  • Complement: 125
  • Armament: 14x 6 Pound Guns, 16x ½ Pound Swivel Guns
Wikipedia says this: The Swan class sloops were unusually attractive for the type of vessel. Not only did they have sleek hull lines, but they also carried an unusual amount of decoration for their size. They were built just before the Admiralty issued orders that all vessels (especially lesser rates and unrated vessels) should have minimal decoration and carvings to save on costs.

View attachment 348679

View attachment 348680

Attribution: Painting. [Model of HMS] KINGFISHER, Sloop 14 Guns. Model made by Joseph Williams; Painting by Josh Marshall - 1775. Oil on panel in gilt frame. Perspective paintings at 45 degree angle from Navy Board original plans. Commissioned by King George III as part of a series of paired bow and stern paintings of British warship models, one example of each class of ship in the naval establishment.

Construction will begin in a few weeks. I have been reorganizing my workspace, reading everything I can find on swan class ships, ordering supplies to supplement the build, and adding some needed tools to my workshop.

You are all welcome to pull up a chair and join me on this multi-year project. It's going to be a blast!
Paul, I'd certainly like to follow your new build even though the workmanship and nautical terms will fly straight over me head. Best of luck I will lurk :)

Well Paul, just a matter of time before you started a new "affair" with pretty ship class. If I were to build a kit, one of Bob's would rank very high on my list. Albeit, they are unobtainable. I am looking forward, to seeing you put the Paul signature on an already first class kit, AND in Boxwood. I'm on board mate!

Ignorant me, I've never heard of Lauck Street Shipyard, but I have heard of the Kingfisher. I can't wait to see your version of this beautiful sloop! Good Luck, & I wish you the best in this new year! Rick1011

There is no plank glued, not 1 drop of glue spilled and we are allready on page 3 of this topic. The bar is open! :cool:
I must say your Vasa is a masterpiece and I'm sure this "saved" Kingfisher kit of LSS will be another one. Good luck Paul and count me in.
Welcome Peter!

Hello Paul! I've been running down the dock and just jumped aboard your build here before she takes off. I'm excited and looking forward to watching your new build. I know you will enjoy this, especially at 1:48.
I would have waited for you...

Paul, I'd certainly like to follow your new build even though the workmanship and nautical terms will fly straight over me head. Best of luck I will lurk :)
Enjoy the lurking! I hope to provide something worth looking at.

Well Paul, just a matter of time before you started a new "affair" with pretty ship class. If I were to build a kit, one of Bob's would rank very high on my list. Albeit, they are unobtainable. I am looking forward, to seeing you put the Paul signature on an already first class kit, AND in Boxwood. I'm on board mate!
Yes. Largely unobtainable. I was fortunate I think...

Following with baited (bated?) breath.
Glad to have you here Vic!

33 followers and you haven't struck a bat yet PaulROTFROTFROTF

No pressure ......ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel
Hmm... no pressure would be good. Perhaps if I completely botch the first few steps people will quit me and I can work quietly in obscurity. In truth this is all just a hobby for me so I can live with disappointing the followers, but I'll try not to.

Looks like you've generated a lot of interest Paul!
So pleased another of Bob's Kingfisher has been started - welcome to the club.

Ted
Looking forward to benefitting from your guidance, Ted. For folks who have not seen Ted's magnificent Kingfisher:

Ignorant me, I've never heard of Lauck Street Shipyard, but I have heard of the Kingfisher. I can't wait to see your version of this beautiful sloop! Good Luck, & I wish you the best in this new year! Rick1011
LSS now provides tutorials and such. I'm told they are excellent though I have no first-hand knowledge.

I promise to get started soon everyone!

Turns out my daughter's recent wedding was a COVID super-spreader event :(. Not only did the bride end up with it ("Dad, I hugged 180 people, how could I NOT get COVID") - but so did all of her grandparents (on both sides) along with many of our guests. One grandfather has now been hospitalized because of some coincidental medical problems. Anyway, there are more important things in front of me right now so the promised early-to-mid January launch date has been delayed.

As I have studied this LSS kit more soberly I've come to realize that it is really just a starter kit for a scratch build. I don't mean this is a negative sense - but this is not a kit in the same way that some of the recent high-end kits coming out of the east are. While I don't need to trace out frames and cut them from dimensional stock - everything after that looks and feels like a scratch build. This kit is a set-up for a true craftsman style build. I'm rather happy with this as it affords me the opportunity of a rich learning experience in a controlled environment.

Bottom line: I need to spend a bit more time studying the workflow (techniques and practices) of a scratch-built model...

I guess it's now obvious that I post in real time :) rather than after-the-fact... Turns out after-the-fact would have been better in this case. My apologies.

Good thing my back is turned so you can't see if I'm crying...

IMG_6512.jpg

Last edited:
“Mazel Tov” is the Hebrew version of “congratulations” (although the literal translation is “good luck”). It is by far the most common blessing in Jewish weddings. You’ll hear it, say it and use it everywhere… it will be not an exception here as well - Mozel Tov to your daughter and your family!
Now, I could just write “Mazel Tov” (Spoiler Alert!) and call it a day… While that may suffice in some cases, it certainly isn’t satisfying to me, I forgot to say L’Chaim! Bracha & Hatslacha! (Hebrew for “blessing and success”.) Bottle

As I have studied this LSS kit more soberly I've come to realize that it is really just a starter kit for a scratch build. I don't mean this is a negative sense - but this is not a kit in the same way that some of the recent high-end kits coming out of the east are. While I don't need to trace out frames and cut them from dimensional stock - everything after that looks and feels like a scratch build. This kit is a set-up for a true craftsman style build. I'm rather happy with this as it affords me the opportunity of a rich learning experience in a controlled environment.
We don't buy those excuses, and don't give credits upfront! :p
Bottom line: I need to spend a bit more time studying the workflow (techniques and practices) of a scratch-built model...
Don't worry, we are only on page 3 of your build log. Oh...BTW, we don't limit pages per single log... ROTFROTFROTF

Mazel Tov” & “congratulations Bottle:DExplosion
From the picture you can see that your daughter is happy, I wish her an empowering relationship and love. And a lot of health for all the patients with covid or other things.

Last edited:
One of the most important thing by such a build is time and thinking about the next steps before you start with a part. Also if all parts are CNC milled it is good to have extra sheets of timber in the same quality. And think about tolerances, your own building tolerances. It is good to have allways some meet on the parts.
First I would think about the building board. It has to be vary stable I allways like the french method of building the hull with an extra layer at the building board.

And now let's start with the build. His majesty is waiting for his new sloop.

Back