La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello!

Simple form of foremast and mainmast wedges.

View attachment 154829

Drilling round bar.

View attachment 154830

Drilling and sawing the holders of the simplified colums from kit waste.

View attachment 154831

Milling support surfaces for the deck beams.

View attachment 154832
View attachment 154833
View attachment 154834

With best regards
Thomas
For a proper mast wedge, you might consider scribing with tool or back of Exactoblade some vertical lines, as most wedge rings were a series of wedges fit in tight, not a single ring. But they look like one piece when installed.

Very good and accurate work - sehr gute saubere Arbeit
I am also very happy to see, that you have the planset from Jean Boudriot helping you to build the La Belle in this quality. Really good work

One info related to Kurts @Kkonrath comment:
The construction of the mast wedges also with the planset - only appr. 1/4 or 1/3 of the total length (of the "ring") are visible above the deck
IMG_37621.jpg IMG_37631.jpg IMG_37651.jpg

according Boudriots drawings the ring consist out of 8 wedge-elements

this is the way I made it at my Bonhomme, but here the diameter of the mast is much bigger than of the La Belle

Attachments

• 51k.jpg
    51k.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 18
  • 51l.jpg
    51l.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 52a.jpg
    52a.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 17
Hermione with standing rigging 2013 with mast wedges not yet fully driven in.

SANY0136.JPG

I have experienced the construction of the ship Hermione live from the keel laying until today. In two weeks, the next visit will be during the holidays.

Most of the books from the Ancre Publishing house by Boudriot, Delacroix and other authors are on the bookshelfs. They are essential for accurate french model making.

Thank you for your attention and the kind comments!

With best regards
Thomas

Hallo!

I want to build a construction Model of La Belle. For this I got the CAF kit. Ancre's blueprints were extremly necessary for the construction. CAF plans are not sufficient.

View attachment 150322View attachment 150323
My Workshop.

With best regards
Thomas
Now that is a Shop!!!! neat, clean, well lit. Almost looks unused as a sales promo. My clutter and scatte are not even distant relatives for good builds but it also serves as my libriary, projects materials storage, hand tools stacks, not racks, etc. . . Oh well , some day sanity may return to my life but who knows when? PT-2

Hi Thomas

Do you have pictures of your La Belle hull assembling ?

There is still a long road until I do a POF model. Nevertheless I am trying to learn as much as I can from the POF logs at SOS. So I was wondering if you have some pictures explaining the ribs assembling and sanding methods you used in your La Belle model.

Thank you and have a nice day !
Daniel

Hi Daniel!

Unfortunaly I have no pictures of the construction of the hull. The CAF model is simple for a trained modeller. You should be able to solder something for the lamp, otherwise you just have to cut the wood out of the frame and fit it. Clean the cannon pipes and know different gluing techniques - wood/wood and metal/wood.

P7280294.JPG
Installation aids.

SANY0758.JPG
Just like on the plan the frames are lasered and you can see where they have to be ground.

SANY0757.JPG
Separate the fastening bars with the cutter at the front and rear.

SANY0759.JPG
Stationary machine to grind the burns from laser cutting of the frames.

P7280295.JPG
Various grinding aids for the frames. The first time you grind a frame hull you should do it by hand. Machines can damage beautiful components when you slip. The frames are finally sanded by hand. They will grind for days - with or without a machine - until they have a perfect hull.

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Hi Kurt!

The ship is shown under construction. Many parts are only shown in some places. The nailing of the planks is shown at the captain's cabin.

View attachment 168588

View attachment 168589
My daughter and I in Mystic Seaport 2016 while caulking.

I will show the tools and a test track on the finished model.

With best regards
Thomas
Great work Thomas, hopefully you use a smaller hammer while caulking your La Belle. :)

Hi PT-2!

I buy my boards at my tool shop. I don't know where he gets them from. The boards are straight and knothole free. I can choose the colour and the same thickness, controlled with the measuring device. I leave the wood with me for at least 2 years until I use it.

P7290297.JPG

I cut the planks myself. Almost every plank has to be cut to a differt size and the width has to be adjusted in many places before bending.
I get thicker boards from my cabinetmaker. He can also mill contours for the presentation stands.
This is not the cheapest way to get good timber. But I save on big circular saws and thickness sander and I can see and feel what I am buying.

Hi Maarten!

It will not so easy to produce such small tools and present the filling material, the chisel, the tar etc. cleanly. I had to laugh heartily about your comment. Thanks!

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Back