La Belle - Caf Model 1:48 by Thomas Marocke [COMPLETED BUILD]

Sailors need something to eat and so I started with the kitchen. First I need a cooking pot.

View attachment 195759
The lathe laughed once when she heard about it.

View attachment 195748
1 st try made of brass.

View attachment 195753
First touch briefly with a center drill. With brass not necessary, with copper absolut necessary. Otherwise the small drills will move and break.

View attachment 195754
Then drill deeper with a drill bit. This is where handles will befixed later.

View attachment 195755
2. try to make a pot out of a tube without a lathe. The pots were made of copper and I did not really like the color of the brass pot. First the pipe has to glowed with a burner to soften it. Then expand the tube with a mandrel and a hammer.

View attachment 195756
Solder in the lid. The bottom stays open and gets a wooden core after soldering.

View attachment 195757
After the silver soldering the pot looks bad. Put it in vinegar for a view hours and polish it.

View attachment 195758
Put on the fittings and age a little and two pots are ready.

With best regards
Thomas

Some modelers have been touched with the Magic Wand of Creativity. You are one of those !!!

Thank you for showing how you do those creations!!!

Cheers
Daniel

Thanks for the likes and comments!

Like many modellers I did not learn a profession for wood and metal working. I come from the printing industry. Model making has always been my relaxation and pleasure since childhood. After the first models on my mother's kitchen table, the first machines followed much later for relief and because of the greater accuracy. I had teach myself how to operate them professionally.
Today, when I make something with machine help, I like to think back to the time when I didn't have any machines. As in the past, I sometimes think for a long time - how can I build it? And then I come up with lots of ideas.
I wish everyone a successful modelling!

With best regards
Thomas

SANY0977.JPGAfter the pots were ready, the stove had to be build. The first woodwork. As always with spacers and auxiliary woods for the right angles.

SANY0981.JPG
On the bottom right you can see the smallest brick I could find. Unfortunately much too big. In Bernard Frolich's book "The art of shipmodeling", page 122, is discribed how he imitates the stones from plaster. I still had plaster repair putty from renovation work.

SANY0982.JPG
First make a field with a removable border, 1,5 mm high, and foil.

SANY0983.JPG
The plaster is poured and must harden for 24 hours.

SANY0985.JPG
Work a little away from it all, because now it's getting a bit sandy. With the fretsaw the parts can now be sawn out and the stones imitated with a scalpel. At the first try there is scrap as shown in the middle of the picture. The successful parts are painted with acrylic paint - sand, sandstone or umbra.

SANY0989.JPG
Soldering aid for the ofen grate.

SANY0990.JPG

SANY0991.JPG
Still attach all fittings.

SANY0993.JPG

SANY0995.JPG
It may be cooked. And the brass cooking pot does not look so bad.

Building with such thin plaster took nerves, but was also a lot of fun.

With best regards
Thomas

Hallo Thomas,
very good detail of the oven - very good executed
For everybody interested we have also an excerpt of the Jean Boudriot drawings about this oven..... if you want to take a look:

New construction and installation of the capstan.

SANY1027.JPG
This is what the split deck of the kit looks with the capstan delivered.

SANY1020.JPG
Because I build the facilities from pear wood, the capstan had to be rebuilt as well. Unfortunately the bitts don't fit past the carlings

SANY1019.JPG
They have to be attached to the deck beams.

SANY1015.JPG
The new capstan below is made of pear wood and slightly wider (2 mm = 9,6 cm in the original).

SANY1018.JPG
Recess in the deck.

SANY1021.JPG
Now, woods are used again to align the bitts exactly. I don't want to rely on my eyes alone.

SANY1022.JPG
The bitts are already in place.

SANY1024.JPG
Another small deck timber under the bitt of the port side.

SANY1025.JPG
And that's it.

I wish everyone a wonderful Christmas season!!!

With best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Back