La Belle Poule 1780 by Thomas

Thomas it is great to see you back at the bench! Would you say that the positioning of the gunports (towards the stern) is a kit oversight?

Hello Heinrich!

Although it is the same ship, the construction plans are different.

PA310405.JPG
Gun port 8.

PA310404.JPG
Gun port 14.
On the left "SAIL AND SAIL", on the right "ANCRE".

PA310403.JPG
All guns of one deck of the "Belle Poule" are interchangeable. That's why I decided to use the same spacing of 8 mm to the false (unplanked) deck. On the photo left gun port 8 mounted (lower frame 1,2 mm), right gun port 14 (lower frame 2,4 mm) mounted.

PA310402.JPG
View from the outside.

Whether my considerations are correct will be shown during further assembly. Of course I follow Donnie's beautiful construction. He is currently assembling the guns, unfortunately still without wheels. Since he builds exactly according to plan and specifications I am curious how it turn out.

In any case, the plans of "SAIL AND SAIL" are accurate in themselves, but unfortunately incomplete for an accurate interpretation just like the "ANCRE" plans.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the detailed answer, Thomas. I fully understand the choices that need to be made with more than one set of plans coupled to the interpretation of those plans. Your precautionary thinking should pay great dividends in future.

Hello Heinrich!

Although it is the same ship, the construction plans are different.

View attachment 337545
Gun port 8.

View attachment 337544
Gun port 14.
On the left "SAIL AND SAIL", on the right "ANCRE".

View attachment 337543
All guns of one deck of the "Belle Poule" are interchangeable. That's why I decided to use the same spacing of 8 mm to the false (unplanked) deck. On the photo left gun port 8 mounted (lower frame 1,2 mm), right gun port 14 (lower frame 2,4 mm) mounted.

View attachment 337542
View from the outside.

Whether my considerations are correct will be shown during further assembly. Of course I follow Donnie's beautiful construction. He is currently assembling the guns, unfortunately still without wheels. Since he builds exactly according to plan and specifications I am curious how it turn out.

In any case, the plans of "SAIL AND SAIL" are accurate in themselves, but unfortunately incomplete for an accurate interpretation just like the "ANCRE" plans.

Best regards
Thomas
Thanks for explaining, Thomas. I agree with Heinrich and ‘I am glad’ ;) that for this ship are also different plans with different interpretations. With that, the challenge is to choose the most suitable version for you. And to see what other builders do.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Hello Thomas, very interesting. Just curious, I assume you have already checked this, but I would personally be interested in how it behaves when you measure from the keel. Do you also have this deviation?

Good to see your are back at work (on the model or research)

Slowly the work continues. The lining for the gun ports is mounted one after the other.

PB150409.JPG
The distance to the deck should be the same, so the aft openings are raised a little.

PB150413.JPG
The caliper is ballast on the springy unglued deck.

PB150410.JPG
Now all guns stand the same. The boards supplied for lining the gun ports must be slightly adjusted and constant re-measuring of the inside dimensions of the gun ports caused by adhesive growth is necessary. The guns shown are not part of the kit and are for measuring purposes only.

Best regards
Thomas

Looking very good and especially very accurate work and preparation.

Due to the fact, that the guns of other kits or models can be wrong in scale, in caliber etc. I am making usually some cartonage dummies from the drawings and check the size and the correct height of the guns compared with the gunports
f.e. here my Bonhomme Richard section with two different calibers on the two decks
50c.jpg 50b.jpg

PB220430.JPG
The rear four gun ports were raised slightly. . .

PB220431.JPG
. . . the front three have been lowered slightly.

PB220439.JPG
With the self-made spacer to the deck a controll was possible.

PB220432.JPG
The supplied assembly patterns were removed. The rubber glue used for this came off a with some difficult. The wood glue in the openings also made it difficult to remove.

PB220433.JPG
The side panels were sanded by hand. A piece of wood inserted in the paper prevents dents from forming.

PB220434.JPG
To get closer to the kit again, two assembly openings had to be filed.

PB220437.JPG

PB220436.JPG
So I am done with the 1st assembly step "upper hull" of the kit.

PB220438.JPG
Test fitted gun deck.

The kit of this frigate has been a lot of fun so far.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
If you want to know more information about the history and details of his frigate under construction you can get the monograph from the "Ancre" publishing house. It shows not only how something is assembled and overall drawings of this beautiful kit, but goes into every detail.

PB220440.JPG
In the lower part of the picture the assembly book of the kit and drawings, in the upper part the "Ancre" monograph.

Best regards
Thomas

Last edited:
Absolutely gorgeous-looking Thomas! The precision you have achieved is something else!

Back