La Candelaria - Occre Build log

Here's my process for fitting the cannon carriage wheels to the axles. Occre tells me to use brass rod for the axles but the rod is too small for the wheel holes making for a sloppy fit. It took me a few days to discover that a tooth pick is just the right size for the axles which was great because who doesn't have a pile of
tooth picks:). I dry fitted the wheels to the axle then fitted it to the carriage & poked tiny pilot holes on the axle for the brass pins. Using my handy dandy Arrowmax I drilled the holes for the wheel pins & snipped them to size.
It's a good feeling when a homemade solution works out & that Arrowmax drill is becoming one of my favorite tools. Couldn't imagine drilling those holes with a hand pin vise.View attachment 436712
Good evening Alan. Yep toothpicks….I use them for plenty and so useful for applying CA glue. :D.Looking good. Cheers Grant

Here's my process for fitting the cannon carriage wheels to the axles. Occre tells me to use brass rod for the axles but the rod is too small for the wheel holes making for a sloppy fit. It took me a few days to discover that a tooth pick is just the right size for the axles which was great because who doesn't have a pile of
tooth picks:). I dry fitted the wheels to the axle then fitted it to the carriage & poked tiny pilot holes on the axle for the brass pins. Using my handy dandy Arrowmax I drilled the holes for the wheel pins & snipped them to size.
It's a good feeling when a homemade solution works out & that Arrowmax drill is becoming one of my favorite tools. Couldn't imagine drilling those holes with a hand pin vise.View attachment 436712
I have built for many tears, and discovered toothpind early -they are all-around in Spanish Bar. As well- very good wood -the pin from ice cream.. you will find many things around you -just open your eyes and forget a moment the manuals. I used a lot of paperclibs with different Ø

I have built for many tears, and discovered toothpind early -they are all-around in Spanish Bar. As well- very good wood -the pin from ice cream.. you will find many things around you -just open your eyes and forget a moment the manuals. I used a lot of paperclibs with different Ø
Yes, a little homegrown ingenuity can go along way. Sometimes I'll scrath my head for a few days trying to solve a ship building problem & then the solution finally occurs to me. One of the reasons why my ship is progressing slowly.

Back