La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Johann, is there a special reason to use different methods to knot the Halyards? Or is this because of the cleats? In that way I'm admire the precision of your work to think about that when you knot the Halyards.

DSC00565.jpg

I love the way how you make these cleats. I gonna try it this way, I have to make a lot of these and it is not easy to get them on scale, but doing it with the use of the proxxon to make the rounding in the centre is perfect.

Hello Stephan,

first of all thank you for your interest in my work.

What you see here is a picture detail of a jig I made some time ago to try out how I do the ratlines. Later I used the part to see what method I use for setting the lanyards. That's why the different knots.

I like to try things out before I then attach it to the model.

Here are pictures of the jig with trials on the ratlines:

DSC08783.jpg DSC08797.jpg

Continuation: Cleats for the topgallant lifts and royal lifts
Since tying the cleats to the shrouds did not turn out to be as problematic as originally feared, I went a step further to approximate the original method of execution.

20220416_172513 (002).jpg
Source: "Le gréement des navires anciens (1700-1850)", Gérard Piouffre

The following picture shows the result:
DSC066746_wett.jpg

Accordingly, I will now attach the cleats for the lifts of the topgallant yards and royal yards to the topmast shrouds.
To be continued ...

In the meantime, the cleats have been grooved for the central lashing and are ready to be tied down.
DSC00576.jpg

After temporarily securing the cleat to the topmast shroud, I begin the top and bottom tying. Then I rotate the cleat to its final position aft and complete the process with the center lashing.
DSC00583.jpg

The last picture shows the two cleats of the starboard side topmast shrouds of the foremast. This is where the lifts of the topgallant yard and royal yard will be attached later.
DSC00587.jpg

To be continued ...

In the meantime, the cleats have been grooved for the central lashing and are ready to be tied down.
View attachment 305481

After temporarily securing the cleat to the topmast shroud, I begin the top and bottom tying. Then I rotate the cleat to its final position aft and complete the process with the center lashing.
View attachment 305482

The last picture shows the two cleats of the starboard side topmast shrouds of the foremast. This is where the lifts of the topgallant yard and royal yard will be attached later.
View attachment 305483

To be continued ...
Hello, I ask: mustn't the parts of the shrouds surrounding the bigots be tarred and blindfolded?

DSC00587.jpg

@Frank48
On my model, the standing rigging is dark brown, which is supposed to represent the tarring (Stockholm tar / Wood tar) as well.
If by blindfolded you meant rope serving, then the answer is no.
Hello arcinfo, Thank you for answering me, but I have some doubts about fixing the shrouds to the bigots regarding the bandaging, sorry for my frankness

Hello arcinfo, Thank you for answering me, but I have some doubts about fixing the shrouds to the bigots regarding the bandaging, sorry for my frankness
Johannn, I have to jump in here.....

@Frank48
Maybe you do not know, but there are very good contemporary models existing completely with masts, yards and rigging.
F.e. this model was build in 1829

based on contemporary drawings and these amazing models Jean Boudriot made his monograph, in which he studied very much in detail especially the rigging.

So said, maybe this monograph of the Creole contents maybe the most detailed work about rigging prepared and studied by Boudriot.
BTW: a lot of photos in the monograph are showing these models, especially the rigging.

You have doubts, but the real contemporary models and Boudriots work is showing it differently.

Johannn, I have to jump in here.....

@Frank48
Maybe you do not know, but there are very good contemporary models existing completely with masts, yards and rigging.
F.e. this model was build in 1829

based on contemporary drawings and these amazing models Jean Boudriot made his monograph, in which he studied very much in detail especially the rigging.

So said, maybe this monograph of the Creole contents maybe the most detailed work about rigging prepared and studied by Boudriot.
BTW: a lot of photos in the monograph are showing these models, especially the rigging.

You have doubts, but the real contemporary models and Boudriots work is showing it differently.
maybe I don't know but for sure the Great work of Master Boudriot I have always appreciated that it is wonderful and unique.For the contemporary models (some) I would go very cautious in the sense of their source of donations and repairs, I say this and I confirm I have repaired some models in a museum (I reserve the name) to you deductions

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
thanks for your support.

@Frank48
My nickname is "archjofo" not "arcinfo" !

If you are already expressing such pennedrant doubts regarding the serving of the shroud around the dead-eyes, then surely you can demonstrate how it should look correct. However, it is necessary to pay close attention to the correct chronological classification, because there are different ways of fastening the dead-eyes depending on the era. I have collected and reviewed a lot of material and relevant literature on this.
But simply to raise doubts without providing evidence is not in order and unfair.

@Uwek
Hello Uwe,
thanks for your support.

@Frank48
My nickname is "archjofo" not "arcinfo" !

If you are already expressing such pennedrant doubts regarding the serving of the shroud around the dead-eyes, then surely you can demonstrate how it should look correct. However, it is necessary to pay close attention to the correct chronological classification, because there are different ways of fastening the dead-eyes depending on the era. I have collected and reviewed a lot of material and relevant literature on this.
But simply to raise doubts without providing evidence is not in order and unfair.
Hello, I'm sorry for having your nickname wrong, I have nothing against you, I just try to transfer news with respect and education, in the future I will avoid visiting your construction site, but, my news is documented, I would advise you to do a good research, it all ends here, Have a nice day Good morning, as I apologized for having mistaken the nickname, you cannot tell me that I am incorrect because I have doubts, I have a lot to learn but I am quite documented so I am not available with you for any documents, have excellent manual skills is a gift, the refinement is a whole other thing good life

Last edited:
@Tobias
Hi,
thank you for your kind response.
Also thank you to all the others for your interest.

Hello,
today I present you another video LINK to the construction of my French corvette, which shows the production of the anchors.
I would be happy if you like it.

Last edited:
Back