La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hi Jan,
First of all, thank you for the nice comment.

For the hooks I made master models from brass and then had them cast by a jewellery foundry using the lost wax process.
I had the brass fittings for the blocks etched from sheet brass according to the patterns I had drawn.
So in this respect I made everything myself.

Hi Jan,
First of all, thank you for the nice comment.

For the hooks I made master models from brass and then had them cast by a jewellery foundry using the lost wax process.
I had the brass fittings for the blocks etched from sheet brass according to the patterns I had drawn.
So in this respect I made everything myself.
Those hooks and fittings really set off your work.

Jan

Fore topmast stay - Étai petit mât de hune
According to my announcement in the last post, I am dealing with the topmast stays. So I prepared the assembly for the fore topmast stay. According to my original assumption that a left-hand rope was used here, this is obviously not the case according to my current research. The stay had a diameter of 41 mm in the original, which corresponds to 0.85 mm in model scale.
The fore topmast stay is attached in the same way as the main stay. This requires an open eye. The two legs are spliced into the stay. Finally, the ends receive spliced-in eyes, which then receive a lashing, as can be seen in the following picture. For comparison, I have laid a rope next to it that corresponds to the mainstay.
DSC08184_wett.jpg

The fore topmast stay was routed on the starboard side of the bowsprit top via stay sheave to the bow for fastening by means of thimble and eyebolt. The area of the stay that was led around the sheave was served.

fockstengestag_Atlas.jpg
Source: Atlas du Génie Maritime

Fockstengestag_LaCreole_PariserModell_Musee_de_la_marine.jpg
Source: Original model in the Musée de la Marine Paris

The flashings for the fore topmast stay have to be applied directly to the model, as it is then no longer possible to pass the rope through the sheave cleat.
DSC08185_wett.jpg

The next picture shows the eyebolt with thimble of the stay attachment on the forecastle.
DSC08186_wett.jpg

Here you can see the guidance of the stage over the side sheaves with the served areas.
DSC08187_wett.jpg

The last picture shows the fore topmast stay on the topmast crosstrees.
DSC08188_wett.jpg

To be continued ...

Last edited:
Hello,
and here it goes on:
Fore topgallant stay - Étai petit mât de perroquet
In preparing to make the fore topgallant stay, the following question needs clarification and I hope for your expert assistance to clarify it:
In the monograph for La Créole, a diameter of 40 mm is given for the fore topgallant stay, not only in the overview with rigging plan but also in the text.
The fore topmast stay has a diameter of 41 mm. In this respect, the fore topgallant stay with a diameter of 40 mm seems to me to be much too thick. In my opinion, the stay should be
be much thinner, perhaps around 19 mm in diameter.
What do you think?
Fockbramstengestag_LaCreole.JPG

Merhaba,
ve işte devam ediyor:
Öne çıkan cesur konaklama - Étai petit mât de perroquet
Önde gelen cesur duruşu yapmaya hazırlanırken, aşağıdaki sorunun açıklığa kavuşturulması gerekiyor ve uzman yardımınızın bunu netleştirmesini umuyorum:
La Créole monografında, sadece arma planına genel bakışta değil, aynı zamanda metinde de, öndeki cesur duruş için 40 mm'lik bir çap verilmiştir.
Ön direği desteği 41 mm'lik bir çapa sahiptir. Bu açıdan, 40 mm çapındaki ön gabari direği bana çok kalın geliyor. Bence kalmak olmalı
çok daha ince, belki de yaklaşık 19 mm çapında olabilir.
Sen ne düşünüyorsun?
View attachment 244820
41/48 = 0,85 mm
40/48 =0,83 mm real dimensions of 1/48 model

Hello,
and here it goes on:
Fore topgallant stay - Étai petit mât de perroquet
In preparing to make the fore topgallant stay, the following question needs clarification and I hope for your expert assistance to clarify it:
In the monograph for La Créole, a diameter of 40 mm is given for the fore topgallant stay, not only in the overview with rigging plan but also in the text.
The fore topmast stay has a diameter of 41 mm. In this respect, the fore topgallant stay with a diameter of 40 mm seems to me to be much too thick. In my opinion, the stay should be
be much thinner, perhaps around 19 mm in diameter.
What do you think?
View attachment 244820
I agree - 40mm is way too thick. Somewhere between 19 and 25? Gorgeous work as always. Many thanks for sharing, Johann.

Hi Johann!

Here are some data (Ø) from the "Ancre"-biography by "Hermione" 1779-1793 after JC Lemineur:

Forestay 99
Forepreventer stay 65
Mainstay 103
Main preventer stay 65
Mizzen stay 54

Fore topmast stay 52
Fore topmast preventer stay 41

Main topmast stay 54
Main topmast preventer stay 41
Mizzen topmast stay 30

Fore topgallant stay 26
Main topgallant stay 26
Mizzen topgallant stay 15

The difference in rope strength between the Fore topmast stay and the Fore topgallant stay is obvious. But this does not automatically mean that the data in the "La Creole"-biography is wrong. At least it needs a more accurate verification!

Best regards
Thomas

Hello,
Thank you all for your important advice and suggestions.
In the meantime, I have come to realise that it is not necessarily wrong that the fore topgallant stay is as thick as stated in the monograph. In this respect, I will check it further and hope that I will come to a result.

burada, ön direk dayanağı =43 mm
ön üst galant = 26 mm
bu yaşlar, gerçek gemi ölçüleri.....
biz modelimize (ben modelim 1/48) 43 mm/ 48=,89 mm ve
26mm / 48=0,54 mm doğru mu

or bu boyutlar 43mm ve 26mm
model boyutunda halatlar

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I have a technical question about the rotation of the ropes, left or right. What is the background that they are rotated one time to the right and the other time to the left? Is there a technical thought for this or is it just an aspect of the perfect / original replica, or depending on which ropemaker it was obtained from? I hope I was able to express myself clearly now.

Herkese merhaba, iplerin sağa veya sola dönmesi ile ilgili teknik bir sorum var. Bir kez sağa ve diğer kez sola döndürüldüklerinin arka planı nedir? Bunun teknik bir düşüncesi var mı yoksa sadece mükemmel/orijinal replikanın bir yönü mü yoksa hangi halatçıdan alındığına bağlı mı? Umarım şimdi kendimi açıkça ifade edebilmişimdir.
bu doğru yön

Attachments

• eee.jpg
    eee.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 17
Main topmast stay - Étai grand mât de hune
The main topmast stay of the La Créole had a diameter of 43 mm, which corresponds to a diameter of 0.89 mm in model scale 1:48. I made the corresponding rope from the finest Japanese silk yarn from Yli; 4 x 3 righthanded, and then these 3 strands were laid to the left to form a cable.
DSC00142.jpg

The next picture shows the main topmast stay with the open stay eye and the eyes spliced into the legs. Next to it is the prepared guide collar with thimble, which is placed around the masthead and then lashed down.
DSC00141.jpg
The main topmast stay is led through the thimble in the guide collar down to the deck and fastened there. I still have to finalise this detail.

To be continued ...

I "love" your work and your model very much - It is already over a long time a big inspiration for me.
Many thanks for sharing with us and explaining to us

@Uwek
Hi Uwe,
thank you for your kind words, and thank you to all the others for your LIKES.

Here is the continuation:
In the meantime, the rope for the mizzen topmast stay was made from fine silk yarn, three strands are laid up right handed to form a hawser laid rope with ø 0.77 mm in model scale, which corresponds to ø 37 mm in the original. A guide collar was also made, as for the main topmast stay, to guide it down along the mast for attachment.
As already mentioned for the main topmast stay, this detail needed further clarification, which has now been done. Behind both the foremast and the mainmast was a set of guide blocks, which were carried on an iron rod. The respective stay was attached in the middle to this iron rod, which was fastened to the deck with three holders.For this purpose, the iron rod was inserted through the thimbles tied into the stays.
Here you can see the binding of a thimble:
DSC00158_wett.jpg

The following three pictures show the mizzen topmast stay from the top to the attachment point:
DSC00149_wett.jpg

DSC00150_wett.jpg

DSC00151_wett.jpg

The following are three pictures of the main topmast stay from the top to the attachment point at the guide blocks:
DSC08193_wett.jpg

DSC08191_wett.jpg

DSC08192_wett.jpg

To be continued ...

Back