La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello,

up to now I have also been represented in other forums. Due to the fact that many excellent model builders also present their building reports here, I have decided to show my building report on the model of the La Créole here in the future.
At the end of this thread I will show you a series of pictures from the beginning to the present state of construction.

At the moment I am still working on the standing rigging, especially the backstays.
DSC08221.jpgDSC08199.jpgDSC08202.jpg

Here are a few brief facts about the ship for those who don't know her yet:

The La Créole was a 24-gun corvette of the French Navy. The corvette carried 4 x 18 pdr guns and 20 x 30 pdr carronades.
Her plans were drawn by P. M. Leroux in 1827. The launching took place in Cherbourg in May 1829.

The ship took part in the French invasion of Mexico in 1838, notably the bombardment of San Juan de Ulloa before the French troops took the city of Veracruz.

There is a beautiful model of the shipyard on display at the Musée national de la Marine in Paris, with many photos in Jean Boudriot's book (in French).
For the construction of my model of the corvette I mainly use the following sources:
Jean Boudriot - Historique de la corvette 1650-1850: La Créole, 1827
In this forum there is a planset review: LINK.

Finally, a few pictures from the beginning to the present state of construction:

IMG_0001.jpg IMG_0003.jpg DSC00258.jpgDSC00919.jpgDSC01098.jpgDSC01299.jpgDSC00561.jpgIMG_1983.jpgIMG_1270.jpgIMG_0710.jpgIMG_0451.jpg20190330_173121.jpgDSC02331.jpgDSC02500.jpgIMG_1349.jpgDSC07751.jpgDSC08064.jpgDSC08315.jpg DSC07602.jpg

To be continued ...

Last edited:
Hallo Johann,

many many thanks for starting the building log.

As I know your detailed log from a german forum - it is one of the best build model I have every seen.
Like @Gennaro mentioned it already - especially your metal works are amazing - so much to learn.

Great to have you "on board" - and I hope to see on regular basis your progress

Hello,
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

But let's continue here.
I was able to finish the double blocks for the breast backstays in the meantime.

DSC00012.jpg

DSC00020.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

And here is an overview of the back stays of the La Créole:
Backstays_LaCreole.jpg

The Shifting Backstays are already in preparation.
More about that soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Johann,

It is every time "eine Augenweide" to see your metal works - sorry to use this german term, which I can not translate, means somehow "extremly good"

The form of the hooks is very realsitic, and I recognized, that they are brass cast - did you made them by yourself?

Hi Johann, I've been following your magnificent build in 'another place' since you started.
It's been a long but delightful road.
Now you have joined this forum as well, I'm sure the other members would like to see a lot more of the earlier stages and development.
Always keen to see your updates....keep 'em coming :cool:

Hi,
thanks again to all for the friendly welcome to the forum and for the interest in my model project.
At the moment I have very little time for model building. But from the end of July I will start my early retirement, then I will be more active in model building again.

Here is the continuation of my report:
I imitated the leather lining of the caps accordingly.I use real leather with a thickness of approximately 0.25 mm. I split the thinnest leather I could buy with my own device.
It goes on a bit here:

DSC00013.jpg

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00046.jpg

DSC00013.jpgDSC00039.jpgDSC00046.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo Johann,
beautiful work - all your details !!!
Short comment: We have no limitation in the uploading size s of photos, so you can show them directly in full size (no thumbnail necessary)
Short question:
Are you prepare your brass parts before the blackening, means with Aceton or something else? How is your sequence / working steps of the blackening
Which blackening fluids / which brands are you using?

Back