Lauck Street Shipyard AVS 1:32 Plank On Frame

Thanks Dave!!

CONTINUING FROM 2015

When gluing complex assemblies I like to create jigs out of a variety of machine squares as is the case here with the wing transom and transom supports. Don't ask me how I came up with this... I just sorta start squaring things up. Note that the center two support frames are about 1/32" higher than the outer ones. That's due to the very slight curve I sanded into the top of the wing transom per the practicum.

transom frame jig.JPG

In addition to using machine squares to jig up my gluing, I traced the profile of the transom, frames, and wing transom from the plans. I then used the drawing to ensure I got the angle correct prior to gluing the assembly together. Hopefully this will give me a very square build at the aft end of the ship.

Transom Angle.jpg

BUILD LOG FROM 2015

Making great progress with no issues. I've completed the partial hull planking as called for in the practicum and am currently working on shaping the transom and planking the counter. Here are some photos with a few comments along the way:

Total build time so far: 164 hours

Transom is glued up to the stern. You will notice a very small piece of wood I had to add to extend the upper portion of the last frame on the left side. This was needed to ensure the transom was level. I do not believe this was a CAD or design error. More likely a very small builder's error that added up from bow to stern as I framed the ship. Wood variations, sanding variations, who knows... it is what wood modeling is all about. Not like a plastic kit.

Stern1.jpg

Careful test fitting of the first hull plank in the stern area to ensure all the important relationships are checked out prior to gluing

Stern5.jpg

A nice fit

Stern4.jpg

Lots of clamps

Hull Plank 1.jpg

Soaking in water was key to getting smooth bends out of the cherry planks

Hull Plank 2.jpg

This is all of the outer hull planking. The other side only gets a few ribbands.

Hull Plank 3.jpg

I ended up doing the top plank twice at the bow as I cut too much taper into it. It came out better the second time as seen here

Hull Plank 4.jpg

Some more pics here as I worked on the stern area. PLEASE NOTE: This is where I made my first mistake in that I cut the lower transom timbers too short. I ended up making new ones and fixing this a bit later in the build.

Transom 1.jpg

Gluing in the stern transom pieces that then have to be sanded into shape.

Transom 2.jpg

Using a plastic zip tie to test the lie of the ribband plank as I shape the transom. I also have the first counter plank glued and clamped.

Transom 3.jpg

BUILD LOG CONTINUES FROM 2015

I got the counter planked, gun ports framed and opened, oar sweeps and scuppers opened. My oar sweeps did not come out perfect but they look good enough for me. Followed the practicum to the letter except that I used a 90 degree Dremel attachment to help drill out the gun ports, sweeps and scuppers from the inside. I also corrected the lower transom timbers by making new ones. Just a few more details to go and I'll be ready for 3 coats of poly and the end of Chapter 5.

Total build duration so far: 173 hours

Notice I still have the lower transom timbers too short in this picture.

Counter.jpg

Here you can see where I have the properly shaped transom timbers on the right as compared to the ones that are too short on the left.

Corrected Transom.jpg

My least favorite of all Dremel accessories, but it got the job done

Gun Port 2.jpg

Gun ports and oar sweeps look pretty good. Notice the scuppers just above the ebony wale.

Gun Ports.jpg

Is anyone interested in knowing how I was able to remove and replace the lower transom timbers shown in Post #45 without damaging the rest of the model?
Would anyone like to take a guess how it was done? ;)

With the transom repaired and 2 coats of poly applied Chapter 5 is now complete. I've cleaned off the benches and am now ready to begin construction of the interior decks. As she sits right now, this is an amazing model. It will only get better from here....

Total build duration so far: 180.5 hours

Chapter 5 Complete.jpg

Chapter 6 of this practicum deals with the planking of the lower deck. Here are some pictures with captions for your viewing pleasure.

Total Build Duration so far: 190.5 hours

Zip ties were used to hold down the keelson cap

File Jun 08, 10 13 51 AM.jpeg

Take care when fitting the lower deck beams as they all need to be level so that the planking will lie flush. Minor variations may require sanding and/or shimming

File Jun 08, 5 11 18 PM.jpeg

Mark the first plank that fits against the side of the keel. Make sure you push the plank tight down against the frames

File Jun 09, 5 45 45 PM.jpeg

Cut the plank using my trusty mini-scroll saw

File Jun 09, 5 45 28 PM.jpeg

I love clamps!!!

File Jun 09, 5 45 12 PM.jpeg

Sand the edge of the plank down flush with the keel. Protect the finished frames with some masking tape

File Jun 09, 7 04 01 PM.jpeg

Very nice contrast in color against the hardwood frames

File Jun 12, 10 29 14 AM.jpeg

File Jun 14, 2 19 41 PM.jpeg

Back