Lauck Street Shipyard AVS 1:32 Plank On Frame

WAY BACK IN 2015

With Bulkhead 4 stained and installed I gave the entire main deck a thorough sanding. Remember that the Lodging Knees reverse direction after the amidship hatch. Minor adjustments to the knees and notches for the ledges will be required. This is the way the kit is designed. I know this is said often but its very important to pay attention to the relationships between the parts. If you go by measurements or the plan drawings you will likely not end up with the best result. I really enjoyed this portion of the build. With each beam I tried to get the most refined fit I could. By the time I got into a groove - the main deck was completed!! Next up will be the Quarter Deck framing.

Total build duration so far: 264.25 hours

I really like the contrast of the mahogany stain against the hardwoods. It will look even better once the deck is poly coated
Bulk4-2.jpg

I probably spent over an hour sanding out the main deck with various grits of paper. Finished off with steel wool then a wipe down with alcohol.
Main deck complete.jpg

A LONG, LONG TIME AGO... I CAN STILL REMEMBER HOW THAT MUSIC USED TO MAKE ME SMILE....

A couple of notes regarding Quarter Deck Beam 1 ...

Notice how the top edge of Bulkhead 4 is not hardwood. Fit Quarter Deck Beam 1 so that it sits on top of the edge of the bulkhead.
Quarter Deck Beam 1-1.jpg

Install the first beam so that it just overlaps the edge of Bulkhead 4
Quarter Deck Beam 1-2.jpg

And, regarding Quarter Deck Beam 6 - I finalized the fit of both Beam 1 and 6 prior to actually installing the Quarter Deck Clamps.

Notice how beam 6 is straight but the edge of the transom is curved?
Quarter Deck Beam 6-1.jpg

Slowly sand/shape beam 6 so that it fits the curvature of the transom
Quarter Deck Beam 6-2.jpg

BACK IN 2015

Ahoy! Ship Modeling Friends.. With the quarter deck framing complete, Chapter 7 has come to a close. Next up will be the partial deck and bulwark planking plus deck furniture and other details. According to the practicum, I am now "much closer" to completing my model. :rolleyes::D

Total build duration so far: 271.5 hours

Quarter Deck Framing.jpg

Chapter 7 Complete.jpg

How do you like the Keel Klamper?
I have one of those and love it!
Ahhhhh, you need to beware of the keel clamper!!! While it is ok for generally holding the model for display photos and what not, I would NOT recommend it for actually working on the model. Particularly models that have built up keels. If you were to knock the model hard you could actually break off the bottom of the keel by accident. It is better to build the model in one of those u-shaped dense foam holders. So, it depends on the type of model you are using it with...... so beware..

Ahhhhh, you need to beware of the keel clamper!!! While it is ok for generally holding the model for display photos and what not, I would NOT recommend it for actually working on the model. Particularly models that have built up keels. If you were to knock the model hard you could actually break off the bottom of the keel by accident. It is better to build the model in one of those u-shaped dense foam holders. So, it depends on the type of model you are using it with...... so beware...
I would add my few kopeiks (Russain for cents). It is mostly useful to build structural parts e.g. bulkheads framing and while planking. it does have a ball joint to maneuver in different positions.

guess I’ll keep looking.

This is really a MUCH better product for holding your model while working on it. You can even set the model in your lap.....

Back