Lauck Street Shipyard AVS 1:32 Plank On Frame

THIS IS NOT FROM TODAY. IT IS FROM 2015

I've always found the Nibbing Strake to be challenging to make. But for this kit, it was very easy thanks to the printed templates provided. I just rubber cemented the templates to the provided strip wood and cut them out on my mini scroll saw. Over the years I have become very proficient with this particular tool and am able to use it with a lot of precision. The parts fit right in-place with very little adjustment needed.

I've been using this same saw since the early '90's. The templates make this task quick and easy.
Nibbing Strake 1.jpg

The upper part is supposed to be one piece. Not sure why I made it two. LOL
Nibbing Strake 2.jpg

I soaked the second piece from the left in water for a few minutes then glued it in place. This allowed for a very precise fitment through the curve of the hull.
Nibbing Strake 3.jpg

IT WAS THE YEAR 2015 AND....

I've got the deck planking well underway. At this point I need to install the hatches so that I can work the planks around them. I broke off one of the main bitts while sanding the planking. No biggie - easy fix that I'll take care of later.

Total build duration so far: 283.5 hours

The main deck planking will only go to the center line so that the below deck details can be more easily viewed. I dampened the planking with water for the photo.
Deck Planking 1.jpg

The quarter deck only gets 3 planks down the middle
Quarter Deck Planking.jpg

Have glued on the 5 hatches, the ship's ladder and completed the partial deck planking. Next I'll finish up the inner bulwark planking and then fabricate the bitts and pumps. Smooth sailing ....

Planking3.jpg

Planking2.jpg

Planking1.jpg

I can probably do something similar from scratch. Not with the nice hull shape. Something to think about.
Hello Daniel, This is exactly what I would suggest. It can be made from the foam stack, yes it might not be an accurately cut, but hey...this isn't something like machinist square where precision is a must. On another hand, foams have different grades\softnessess. For our purpose, it must be stiff and at the same time cushion. Here is one I made from my son's headphones packaging (I got his veto on this) LOL

IMG_1512.jpeg

Hello Daniel, This is exactly what I would suggest. It can be made from the foam stack, yes it might not be an accurately cut, but hey...this isn't something like machinist square where precision is a must. On another hand, foams have different grades\softnessess. For our purpose, it must be stiff and at the same time cushion. Here is one I made from my son's headphones packaging (I got his veto on this) LOL

View attachment 169878

Ok... I went to JOANN Fabrics and Crafts and I got a piece of foam (5" x whatever size you want). I came home with a square cut piece and did the below. From the internal piece I took, I did 3 more small ones. Not a piece of art :) but I think they will work for different size projects. I hope it is OK for you I posted these 3 pictures here.

20200802_163024.jpg20200802_162504.jpg20200802_162815.jpg

Thank you for the idea.
Daniel

GUESS WHAT WAS HAPPENING IN 2015?

Spent some time fabricating the Elm Tree Pumps... from scratch... per the practicum. I am now able to carve an 8-sided tube.

The practicum shows how to fabricate an 8-sided tube. Each of the 8 flutes is only 3/32" wide.
8-sided tube.jpg

Even though the handle is only 1" long, the pump actually operates. I glued it in-place to resist the temptation!
Elm Tree Pump.jpg

Here are both pumps with the spouts. I need to very slightly thin out the handle of the one on the left so they match.
Elm Tree Pump 2.jpg

Truly a beautiful model. The first of Bob's that I was able to buy on Ebay I contacted Bob to see if he knew of anyone that might have the remainder of his kits to buy. He told me to watch Ebay. I did for 6 months and 6 weeks ago, I was able to buy the HMY Fubbs. The seller asked if I was Interested in the Fair American and the Kingfisher. No brainer. Then they put up the Halifax which I won. Then they asked if I wanted another Halifax. Another no brainer. Nothing finer than Bob's kits.

Back