Le Coureur 1776, model 1:48 by Adi

Many thanks for likes and comments. And again a week is over. After the hole for the stiffboom is drilled, the horizontal board for stiffboom attachment and the mast foot for the mizzen mast can be set. When fixing the horizontal board I followed Uwe's important hint because of the recess.
The I set the sheeves blocks and the cleats. Except for 4 cleats on the stern (Dry Dock Model), all others are original CAF. Finally, I started installing the eye bolts. I following a combination of Boudriot's and CAF's plan for both.

Coureur_20220407_1.jpg

Coureur_20220407_2.jpg

Coureur_20220407_3.jpg

Coureur_20220407_4.jpg

Coureur_20220407_5.jpg

Coureur_20220407_6.jpg

Coureur_20220408_1.jpg

Coureur_20220408_2.jpg

Well...those little critters :p (ringbolts\cleats), add so much detail and bring the model to life, they make the deck 'busy'. Who can object to this?? Anyone? Great job, Adi!!!
I think (ringbolts\cleats), mostly underestimated details, and oftentimes omitted or presented on the wrong scale.

When looking at your latest pictures of this beautiful build, I noticed the tapering of the deck planks. @Peter Voogt is in the process of tapering and curving his aft deck planks of his Bluenose model, which to me is a proces only suited for the well-experienced builder.
I tried to find how you manufactured your deckplanks, but I probably overlooked it. So were the deck planks delivered with the right taper and curvature and if not, what process did you use?

PS Currently I'm inclined to go for straight planking of the decks, but I'm curious to which techniques are available for tapering and curving of deck planks, especially since the technique used for hull planking doesn't seem to apply.

When looking at your latest pictures of this beautiful build, I noticed the tapering of the deck planks. @Peter Voogt is in the process of tapering and curving his aft deck planks of his Bluenose model, which to me is a proces only suited for the well-experienced builder.
I tried to find how you manufactured your deckplanks, but I probably overlooked it. So were the deck planks delivered with the right taper and curvature and if not, what process did you use?

PS Currently I'm inclined to go for straight planking of the decks, but I'm curious to which techniques are available for tapering and curving of deck planks, especially since the technique used for hull planking doesn't seem to apply.
Dear RDN1954, the shape of the deck planks is already lasered in the CAF model. Shown in my blog #232. Only the waterway's I made myself #237, so the outermost planks had to be adapted.

Last edited:
Thank you gentlemen for likes and comments. This episode is about the windlass stopper and and his tiny hinges. Here, too, the preparation of the hinges was quite tricky. For fastening I use Scale Hardware rivets with 0,8 mm head diameter.

Coureur_20220411_1.jpg

Coureur_20220412_1.jpg

Coureur_20220412_2.jpg

Coureur_20220412_3.jpg

The rudder will be next. After gluing the 3 individual parts, the surface had to be sanded from both sides, since the rudder thickness tapers from top to bottom from 5 to 4 mm. Then I made incisions for the hinges, fitted the same, drilled them and finally added the previously mentioned rivets.

Coureur_20220413_1.jpg

Coureur_20220414_1.jpg

Coureur_20220414_2.jpg

Coureur_20220414_3.jpg

Thank you all for likes and comment. The completition and installation of the rudder was today's task. The precise fitting of the hinges was a real challenge. Filing the rudder tiller required a lot of dexterity due to the fineness of the component.
Afterwards I set the small stairs to the aft deck.

Coureur_20220420_1.jpg

Coureur_20220421_1.jpg

Coureur_20220421_2.jpg

Coureur_20220421_3.jpg

Coureur_20220421_4.jpg

Coureur_20220421_5.jpg

Coureur_20220421_6.jpg

Coureur_20220422_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all for likes and comment. The completition and installation of the rudder was today's task. The precise fitting of the hinges was a real challenge. Filing the rudder tiller required a lot of dexterity due to the fineness of the component.
Afterwards I set the small stairs to the aft deck.

View attachment 304551

View attachment 304552

View attachment 304553

View attachment 304554

View attachment 304555

View attachment 304556

View attachment 304557

View attachment 304558
Beautiful work as I nowadays experience as nothing out of the ordinary...

One question though, I noted that, instead of a smooth upward tapering of the rudder towards the pintle, a "jagged" upper rudder edge shows. Is that per the original and, if so, why would it be shaped like that?

4F337EF6-392B-4BFA-97DB-318A1BFE80A6.jpeg

Beautiful work as I nowadays experience as nothing out of the ordinary...

One question though, I noted that, instead of a smooth upward tapering of the rudder towards the pintle, a "jagged" upper rudder edge shows. Is that per the original and, if so, why would it be shaped like that?

View attachment 304572
Because I have the contemporary drawing by hand I start witzh the explanation

Yes - it is shown at the contemporary drawing and also at Boudriots drawings

j0873.jpg Unbenannt.JPG

Why? - we have to think about it ......

A very happy birthday Adi! May the year ahead be one full of health for you and your family and plenty of time to spend on your favorite past-time.

By the way - looking at your rudder - I do not see any soldering, nor do you mention it. Was the fitment accomplished without soldering?

Back