Le Coureur a 1:48 model from CAF by JEEP

Good to see your progress - in short time you will be able to install the frames on top of the keel - Your Coureur is growing and will get a hull :cool:

Wire wheel... great idea! Why didn't I think of that.
This is the advantage of a forum like us and especially a group build - to share the experiences with this and that..... we should try to learn every single day something new :cool: for this we have to share and show

Yes, thank you, plugging along. Right now all I see around is a bunch of sticks that are supposed to one day look like a ship. I must admit I make at least one small,(or large) error a day,, and that's following the Beta builders logs.

Finally.... after much gnashing of teeth and pulling of hair I have the stern section in place. Not easy, not perfect but done. Now on to the knife work and filing of those ribs. I foresee a death by a thousand cuts. and have requested a pack of band -aids be put on our shopping list ...True. I am sure others had blood stained timbers as well. But it is nice to see things slowly developing.

IMG_0396.jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even with such high quality kits now available, I think modern ship modelers are having harder work then they did in the 15-18th century building ships by hand.

Then they had a whole team of skilled craftsman and many young strong apprentices to do the heavy labor.

We have our internet and just our own skills to be shipwright, rigging master, metal smith, sail maker and the list goes on!

But for most of us on the forum we don't have folks lives depending on quality of our skills.

You are on a good way on you have prepared already 2/3 of them -> step by step you will reach the home stretch .......
Go! jeep Go!

I know very well how you feel, but once it will have an end and different fun will start

When you finally install the frames on the keel, please keep an eye on the height of frames sitting on these vertical stiffeners A2, A3 (see red arrows) and so on
unnamed (1).jpg
It seems, that due to the fact, that the teeth of frames (handmade) are not fitting exactly on the counter-teeth of these "A"s (laser cut) - the frames are too high.
I removed partly the teeth on the "A"-stiffeners to get the frames down to the correct height and sitting correct on the keel.

That's exactly what I ran into yesterday when starting to dry fit the ribs. I scratched my head for some time , wondering why these were not seating in a proper way. Ribs 9, 14, 19, 26, 32 extended too high to fit in jig. Re-checked with plans hmmmm I must have screwed up somewhere, then checked logs. Hurray! Misery loves company so now will get to work on the "A's" to adjust. Thanks Uwe.

Keelson in, finally, and now working on dry fitting and shaping of clamps. Puzzled on installation of frames #2 & #3, how do you determine the correct height This seems important as to the shape and flow of planking .

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG-0403.JPG

IMG-0406.JPG

IMG-0409.JPG

What I did was to line up the tops and try to align the steps along the sides. Also, take a close look at the plans and you'll see that one of the frames isn't quite parallel to the others.

thanks, I think I will lift the jig from its base to check the step alignment just to be sure. I assume frame # 1 can be installed later, after clamping.

Very good progress
The height of the frames is shown in this drawing
IMG-4947.jpg

Jeep, you might be running into the same problem I had. Looks like frame 35 is out of alignment (too wide) with the others (or possibly, frame 34 is too narrow).

View attachment 202959
I think you have only to remove them from the keel and install the frames slightly with another angle
See my arrows
1609565215549.png

I am pretty sure, that no new frames are necessary - some small errors will be possible to adjust during the planking works

Moving right along............. I just wanted to explain my method of installing these boards. I do them one at a time, first I dampen the board using my finger then with the iron I put a preliminary curve to the wood, just sort of eyeball the correct amount. Then CA to the ends, wood glue in the mid and "viola" in she go's . You will notice I have clipped the tops from the jig for ease of access.

IMG-0421.JPG

IMG-0422.JPG

IMG-0424.JPG

Back