LE ROCHEFORT - Harbour yacht from 1787 1:36 by Tobias (Monograph by ANCRE)

Perhaps some of you can still remember the Haus am Baum project, now it's done. Staircase railing and slide attached-> Done

C513E3A4-9A28-42C1-A7C4-D94BBE503CEC.jpeg

E060C663-F61D-4981-9180-66D22B3B7606.jpeg

F0F3D525-4D26-422F-B30E-475BF3075670.jpeg

I cannot say at the moment whether Le Rochefort will continue or whether I will return to La Palme, there is a lot to do in the garden at the moment, the admiral has expressed the wish that we MUST create a perennial / cottage garden with the bed edging I already started.

FFF63558-A2CB-44F3-B2FF-491C5D4D27AA.jpeg

Dad still MUST

3AA92953-83CD-49BE-98EE-ABE81010EE61.jpeg

BB4583B8-3A36-40F7-8C9F-95251EF6BE29.jpeg

Perhaps some of you can still remember the Haus am Baum project, now it's done. Staircase railing and slide attached-> Done

View attachment 375511

View attachment 375512

View attachment 375513

I cannot say at the moment whether Le Rochefort will continue or whether I will return to La Palme, there is a lot to do in the garden at the moment, the admiral has expressed the wish that we MUST create a perennial / cottage garden with the bed edging I already started.

View attachment 375514

Dad still MUST

View attachment 375515

View attachment 375516

View attachment 375512

View attachment 375513

View attachment 375514

Dad still MUST

View attachment 375515

View attachment 375516

Ballast for your Le Rochefort...?

Hello everyone.
First of all thanks to all the comments and likes, much appreciated.

Well I have decided to stay at Le Rochefort until I get my wood delivery from Tallinn (Estonia) from Vahur. Next on the agenda is the interior planking. In the monograph it is described that the floorboards are caulked to keep the storage room absolutely dry. Dieter (@Nersch ) and I are both in the French forum and Dieter had asked GD about the type and color of the caulking. And Dieter please correct me if I'm not repeating it correctly. The color is a reddish brown as it is made from hemp and pine resin. Paul @dockattner experimented with tissue paper in his log and got great results with it. I picked this up at the time and ordered black paper and tried it with Castello and I was pleasantly surprised at the result. Dieter also showed this again in his log and this time I ordered two shades of brown and here is the result.

eZy Watermark_25-05-2023_08-12-06-7820PM.jpeg

The left with the darker brown and the right with the red-brown, both woods treated on one side and natural on the other side to see the later effect.

eZy Watermark_25-05-2023_08-13-49-6330PM.jpeg

eZy Watermark_25-05-2023_08-14-34-4650PM.jpeg

My favorite is the red-brown variant because it doesn't look too intrusive. What do you think about that?

Hello everyone.
First of all thanks to all the comments and likes, much appreciated.

Well I have decided to stay at Le Rochefort until I get my wood delivery from Tallinn (Estonia) from Vahur. Next on the agenda is the interior planking. In the monograph it is described that the floorboards are caulked to keep the storage room absolutely dry. Dieter (@Nersch ) and I are both in the French forum and Dieter had asked GD about the type and color of the caulking. And Dieter please correct me if I'm not repeating it correctly. The color is a reddish brown as it is made from hemp and pine resin. Paul @dockattner experimented with tissue paper in his log and got great results with it. I picked this up at the time and ordered black paper and tried it with Castello and I was pleasantly surprised at the result. Dieter also showed this again in his log and this time I ordered two shades of brown and here is the result.

View attachment 376221

The left with the darker brown and the right with the red-brown, both woods treated on one side and natural on the other side to see the later effect.

View attachment 376222

View attachment 376223

My favorite is the red-brown variant because it doesn't look too intrusive. What do you think about that?
I like the reddish brown variant (artistically speaking). That would certainly be appropriate for an older ship (pine pitch rather than tar-based). I guess the question is: is 1787 older or newer?

I would also use the reddish brown tissue paper. It looks very harmonic in combination with the wood.
And yes, GD described it as reddish brown, so this should also be the correct color.

What do you use as surface treatment for the wood? Is it tung oil?

Personally, I like the darker brown. However, based on GD’s expertise I think the red-brown may be more appropriate...
To further complicate (cuz I like to play devil’s advocate ) things, pine resin is almost clear when fresh and more yellow brown when older. (Think Amber). Hemp is also more yellow-brown so should the tissue paper be a more subtle orange leaning toward yellow?
Here’s a photo of fresh pine resin on our deck that will invariably end up on the bottom of a shoe and tracked into the house… ‍♂️image.jpg

Back