Le Rochefort

Interesting. I bought a book that outlines the process. I would be interested. But we have to have a minimum number of truly active people. I think it’s a minimum of 5 to 8. I have to ask Zoltan.

I would be interested in joining in with a build. In addition to the monograph I too also have the build book, but have not made any type of start because I was struggling to get the plans copied to make a building frame / board.

For everybody who do not know the ship and the planset by Gerard Delacroix please take a look here:

LE ROCHEFORT - 1787
Harbour Supply Vessel / Yacht
- 1:36

by Gerard Delacroix

IMG_13012.jpg elev_voile.jpg

Here the mentioned book

An introduction to MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”
(often also "AN INTRODUCTION TO PLANKED ON FRAME SCALE MODEL SHIP BUILDING “DOCKYARD STYLE”")
by Adrian SOROLLA translation by GILLES KORENT (our member @Gilles Korent f.e leading the ShipsofScale group build of the Canoe)

title11.jpg IMG-424611.jpg

Also we have some started building logs of the Le Rochefort

by @Resman

by @donfarr

by @Jempi

I think it’s just about the best ship one could pick as a first full ship scratch build. The only concern I have is since the book was translated we might lose some in translation. Not a deal breaker though. I’ll be ordering my wood asap. Won’t start for a few months yet.

I think it’s just about the best ship one could pick as a first full ship scratch build. The only concern I have is since the book was translated we might lose some in translation. Not a deal breaker though. I’ll be ordering my wood asap. Won’t start for a few months yet.
All the monographs published by ancre are usually french written. This english translation is done by our member @Gilles Korent who is by himself an extreme good modeler, so very well translated and nothing lost in translation.

There are a lot of arguments for making the Le Rochefort as a first scratch build
1) The original ship has relatively easier construction and is not too big (also in 1:24) - so not a 5 years project
2) It is only a one masted vessel, so relatively easy masting and rigging
3) Gérard Delacroix is in my opinion one of the best designer
4) The monograph is very detailed made - so drawings and also the booklet are not missing anything
5) in addition we have the book by Sorolla with a step by step "building log" (but not 100% necessary to build the model, it is an additional help)
6) the translation of the Sorolla book was done by Gilles, so he knows also the model and plans in detail
7) very reasonable price for the planset with booklet (72 Euro) and also for the Sorolla book (46 Euro)

IMG_12701.JPG

Model-size in 1:24 and 1:36
Screenshot 2022-07-25 103805.png

I would be interested in joining in with a build. In addition to the monograph I too also have the build book, but have not made any type of start because I was struggling to get the plans copied to make a building frame / board.
It'll be a couple months or more before I make a start. I have to order the lumber still. The build board etc wont be even thought of till I start from zero.

Ill be ordering what lumber I don't have here very soon. Winter is here so its time to start, Can we get a group build together ??
This will only be my second plank on frame build the other being the Blandford section. The Le Rochefort is going to be a very extensive project no doubt for us neophytes.
It would be great to be able to share our common problems, issues and fixes. thanks Tony

I wish that I could join in, but I have my hands full now. I do have that book as well. It seems to be a good guide. I will follow this for sure.

I wish that I could join in, but I have my hands full now. I do have that book as well. It seems to be a good guide. I will follow this for sure.
Yes it would be great. Even a few people to start others can join in as it goes along.

Hi Toni ,unfortunately there are not enough interest and participation,we require 8-10 actine builder for a group build

Yes it would be great. Even a few people to start others can join in as it goes along.
Based on our experience that is not how plays out,usually if there is enough interest at the beginning slowly they stop posting or stop the build ,not sure the numbers going t’doen not up

I am not against it but I do not see the interest,you can start your build and if picks up and others joins we can do group build

Back