Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

I’ve built my first gun carriage for the upper guns with long tails. View attachment 250974
I think the gun may be too heavy. View attachment 250975
But maybe they want to kill some whales!

Anyone know what these guns/carriages are called and how they are rigged?
Looks nice indeed
One option you may want to consider is bending the rear part of the gun (see log from Bigmike). I have not done that but considering to make this change.
I have used small brass strips to hold the guns on the carriage and have glued the carriage on the deck.

Looks nice indeed
One option you may want to consider is bending the rear part of the gun (see log from Bigmike). I have not done that but considering to make this change.
I have used small brass strips to hold the guns on the carriage and have glued the carriage on the deck.
I haven’t looked at Big Mike’s log. I have poured over yours, paulb’s, and Mr.Deep’s and discovered a wealth of information. Thanks for keeping in touch. I appreciate it.

New toys! I have vices…I mean vises.
Hey, Vic. I think I need to get this breadboard. I think it is magical...you asking for daily bread and get the vises! Wow! Is it daily delivered? What other tools did it offer? May I ask for a metal lathe? I mean I already have vises, don't need them anymore. ;)

I agree. No type of construction can ever be sturdy enough. Beautiful tools Vic! That Proxxon number is to die for!

Some of the gun support boxes didn’t feel that solidly placed. I reinforced them by gluing steel wire into them through the plywood gun port strips. Then I cut the wires off flush. I don’t want the boxes to fall off after I seal off the hull with planks. View attachment 251658
Hi Vic
It definitely can't hurt
Though I did not experience anything bad with the boxes being glued with a strong wood glue

In the instructions on my page 16 - the second picture from the top it calls out P1 to be used. In looking on the parts list - P1 is called out as 2mm x 6mm x 500mm (140 pieces) and it called Paulownia, Aulownia and noted as Hull Inside. Maybe you can see it better from this picture:IMG_0867.jpg

Okay. I see it. It seems weird to cut all the supports off. Do you overlay the inside with second planking as well?
I did plank the upper part of the inside hull using P1 (same as the rest of the hull); I then using planed the upper part of the inside using P3.
It makes the inside much nicer.
Of course I only planked above the decks
Makes sense?
See below

20201227_154606.jpg

I did plank the upper part of the inside hull using P1 (same as the rest of the hull); I then using planed the upper part of the inside using P3.
Makes sense?
See below

View attachment 252292
Yes. That’s what I was thinking of doing. Did you glue the hull planks to the supports before cutting the bulkhead supports off? How did that go?

Makes sense?
See below

View attachment 252292
When you did the upper inside with P1, didn't that increase the thickness too much? I'm almost to that point.

Yes. That’s what I was thinking of doing. Did you glue the hull planks to the supports before cutting the bulkhead supports off? How did that go?
Vic
I adjusted the planks and glued them together. I did not glue them on the upper part of the bulkhead since it had to be cut off

Back