Le Soleil Royal ZHL Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Now I’ve cut off the top of the bell and removed the clapper. Put in pulleys into theBig posts and brushed with polyurethane. View attachment 298674
A beauty it's becoming that's for sure.
I hope you don't mind and hopefully my eyes deceive me, but to me it looks like the rail immediately aft of the forward mast is off-center, with the same for the post aft of that rail.

I hope you don't mind and hopefully my eyes deceive me, but to me it looks like the rail immediately aft of the forward mast is off-center, with the same for the post aft of that rail.
I think you’re right! It’s funny how something will look fine to the naked eye, but pictures bring flaws out and even exaggerate them. I’ll check it out to see if I can fix it.

Last edited:
I double checked. I thought the picture showed the rail forward of the mast was at an angle. Optical illusion. But the railing aft is about three mm to the port side. But when I measured from the sides, they were right on within one mm. Looks like the hole isn’t perfectly centered. I’m not redrilling the hole. One of the side posts was off , and it did contribute to the optical illusion, so I moved it.

I think you’re right! It’s funny how something will look fine to the naked eye, but pictures bring flaws out and even exaggerate them. I’ll check it out to see if I can fix it.
Good morning Vic. This is a true story. So many times I take a photo and post and then I see that Oh Boy, not again feeling Sick. Optical illusion sometimes saves my bacon tho. Cheers Grant

I double checked. I thought the picture showed the rail forward of the mast was at an angle. Optical illusion. But the railing aft is about three mm to the port side. But when I measured from the sides, they were right on within one mm. Looks like the hole isn’t perfectly centered. I’m not redrilling the hole. One of the side posts was off , and it did contribute to the optical illusion, so I moved it.
Pictures are always tricky; helpful, yes, deceiving, oh definitely. Once everything is in place and rigged it will be pretty hard to notice. You'll probably be the only one to notice (and the ones who followed you on SOS of course). ;)

Indeed! Of course it's such a narrow margin between brave and dead...
Or in this case ripping apart the main deck or putting a 13 mm scupper in the bottom of the ship...
True storyROTF, however I have a feeling Vic has been there done that enough times in life that a little power drill to to his ship is a walk in the park;)

Reminds me of the time my cousin Bubba was fishing in a rowboat on a river in East Texas. He reached for a tree branch to pull the boat to the bank of the river and a poisonous cotton mouth water moccasin snake fell into the boat. Well, Bub always had a shotgun with him to take care of any such emergencies and, you guessed it… Missed the snake, but not the boat.

Back