Medieval Fortified Village

The construction continues with work on the wall between the left of the watchtower and the future village gate. To fill this space, it was necessary to build the wall itself, stick it solidly to the tower, and provide for the defence facilities...
The hoardings are in progress all along, with a part closed on the outside and open gallery on the inside. The micro carpentry requires time and precision... Knowing that I am in complete creation, therefore without a plan !
I needed an access staircase (not easy to do !) to the ramparts : I chose to do it in stones against the wall. it is also planned buildings under this gallery (barn and/or stable, shelter or workshop...).

Then, I will attack the wall to the right of the tower with a house next to it. :cool:

Thanx Pat :)

Just a precision on what I am trying to show with this village: the constructions of the Middle Ages were not made only of stones, such as we see them today because it is all that is left...
Put down by religious buildings, seigniorial lodgings and heavy fortifications, all the rest was made of wooden and/or mud bricks, bricks according to the region. Eventually, low stone foundations were kept, and the rest was built with lighter and cheaper materials.
Stone cutting was long and expensive, and required nearby quarries. Wood in theory was much more accessible, and above all worked by many more people who used it every day.

This is the reproach that can be made of Aedes Ars and its kits of monuments or houses: all in stone and not respecting the reality of the constructions as they existed at the time of their conception .
So I'm restoring the balance of materials! :p

I went for the front door. The first elements are being put in place, the whole is a personal assembly, nothing more like what the kit had planned.
And to remain consistent with this fortified bastide (and not a castle!), doors will close the enclosure instead of a drawbridge. ;)

The gate of the village has advanced quite a bit: the central stone part is almost done.
The outside with the pointed arch. The interior with the half columns on each upright of the double arch.

There is still a sanding, joints to be made, the top to be filled in.
The towers are still being worked on, but will be glued on each side.

Then will come the wood work, with the doors, the hoardings, etc... And finally the roofs.
2 series of photos of the building site, a few days apart. ;)