Medieval Fortified Village

Merci pour ta réponse précise. Je n ai pas ton talent pour créer des maisons, c’est un travail d architecte presque. Tu as des fournisseurs à me conseiller pour les kits de porte et fenêtres. A moins que tu les fabriques toi même? Comment as tu fait pour les parties en fer des boiseries, ça donne un côté très réaliste. Est ce de la photogravure. Je suis curieux mais j ai envie d avoir le même rendu . J essaie de faire ce kit, mais je ne vais rien transformer mis à part les portes et fenêtres. Si tu des tuyaux pour embellir mes boiseries, je suis preneur. Bonne continuation pour ton village incroyable,,on s ‘y coirait.

Thank you for your precise answer. I don’t have your talent for creating houses, it’s almost an architectural job. You have suppliers to advise me on door and window kits. Unless you make them yourself? How did you do for the iron parts of the woodwork, it gives a very realistic side. Is it photoengraving. I am curious but I want to have the same rendering. I am trying to make this kit, but I will not transform anything except the doors and windows. If you have pipes to embellish my woodwork, I'm interested. Good continuation for your incredible village, it looks like it.

D0C50D4F-FB58-46DB-864E-AC8925A11B8F.png

Merci pour les compliments, je fais au mieux de ce que les matériaux permettent et avec ma propre culture. Je ne suis pas architecte du tout, mais j'aime l'Histoire ! ;)

Pour te répondre concrêtement, on est sur un forum de constructions navales. Donc je connais un peu le bois et la façon de faire une ouverture dans un mur ou une coque.
Faire un encadrement de sabord est identique à celui d'une fenêtre. Je fais tout ça moi même sans modèle particulier. Les fers sur les portes sont des ferrures de sabord de vaisseau. Et en fait, dans l'Histoire, c'était le même métier de ferronnier !

Le kit que tu es en train de faire montre justement les maisons supplémentaires dont j'ai récupéré une base sur internet : je le connais bien ! Je les ai transformées pour qu'elles s'adaptent à ce que je voulais simplement.
Je n'ai pas pour habitude de reproduire des plans que je n'ai pas acheté, mais pour mon village, j'ai acheté des matériaux de chez Aedes Ars en quantité suffisante pour compenser le prix de ce kit !
J'ajoute que j'ai eu une conversation très agréable avec la direction de chez Aedes Ars, et je pense très humblement que je donne une image plutôt positive de leur activité et de leurs kits...

Pour les boiseries, tu peux commencer par les teindre, choisir des épaisseurs de poutres différentes si tu en as, mais surtout regarder précisément comment les maisons du moyen âge étaient faites (on ne manque pas d'exemples en France...) pour essayer de coller au mieux à la réalité.

Bon courage à toi pour cette construction ! :)

Thanks for the compliments, I do the best I can with what the materials allow and with my own culture. I'm not an architect at all, but I love History. :p

To answer you concretely, we are on a shipbuilding forum. So I know a little bit about wood and how to make an opening in a wall or a hull.
Making a porthole frame is the same as making a window. I do all this myself without any particular model. The irons on the doors are ship's port fittings. And in fact, in history, it was the same trade as ironwork!

The kit you're making shows just the extra houses I got a database of on the internet: I know it well! I transformed them to adapt them to what I simply wanted.
I'm not in the habit of reproducing plans that I didn't buy, but for my village, I bought materials from Aedes Ars in sufficient quantity to compensate for the price of this kit!
I would like to add that I had a very pleasant conversation with the management of Aedes Ars, and I humbly think that I give a rather positive image of their activity and their kits...

For the woodwork, you can start by staining them, choose different thicknesses of beams if you have any, but above all look precisely at how the houses of the Middle Ages were made (there's no lack of examples in France...) to try to stick as closely as possible to reality.

Good luck to you for this construction! :cool:

That's coming along real nice - it's going to look great with all the timber etc - out of interest, do you coat the brickwork with anything?

No, I'm just passing water to get rid of the dust.
After the complete assembly, I start the weathering with dirty water (yes yes!) to mark the stones. Then a wash with general dirt, mould and vegetal effects with AK Interactive products.
Later, when all the buildings will be done, and to have consistent effects, I'll do an aging process again and put some vegetation in the cracks, between the stones and at the foot of the buildings. :)

Thank you for your comment, much appreciated!

The construction is as simple and/or complicated as any other type of model.
If you have some notion of architecture and you know how to anticipate what you want as a result, then everything is fine, and you will be able to enrich it according to your creativity, or the degree of realism you want.
A little less sawdust than wood, no sanding line like plastic, but a lot more ceramic dust everywhere !

Personally, this is the first time I've done this. It's very pleasant for me who loves History, especially historical architecture... :cool:

A big update from the watchtower:
The watchturrets are glued down, the roofs are done, the wooden defense gallery is there too! :cool:
In fact, there are still 2 or 3 details for the tower itself... But it has to be attached on both sides to pieces of wall. The whole will make a whole.

And a view of the current state of affairs with the entire village.
There's still a lot to do ! ;)

I have just started (yesterday) one of these kits from Aedes Ars and am only now coming to realise these buildings are not as easy as one might think. I've never done anything quite llike it but I am finding it very satisfying. The bricks are tiny - much smaller than they appear in your pictures, and I am struggling to do certain bits, like around arched door openings etc - the two I have done so far look nothing like yours ha ha - so I am slightly in awe of what you have done Ekis,

Ps - just wanted to add, that watch tower looks amazing - In my opinion possibly the best of all the buildings so far.

Quand ton village sera terminé, sera t il ouvert au public? Magnifique comme toujours, j,en bave d admiration. Je n ose pas publier ma réalisation en cours. Oui je sais le ridicule ne tue pas mais quand même

Thank you all, always appreciated!

Quand ton village sera terminé, sera t il ouvert au public? Magnifique comme toujours, j,en bave d admiration. Je n ose pas publier ma réalisation en cours. Oui je sais le ridicule ne tue pas mais quand même.
When your village is finished, will it be open to the public? As beautiful as ever, I am in awe of it. I dare not publish my work in progress. Yes, I know ridicule doesn't kill you, but still...

Patbel, non, il ne sera pas ouvert au plublic : je n'ai pas très envie de voir des hordes de visiteurs à la maison ! ROTF
Mais il y aura toutes les photos possibles sur le forum... Par contre, il va falloir encore un peu patienter : il reste tellement à faire dessus !

Patbel, no, it won't be open to the public: I don't feel like seeing hordes of visitors at home! :D
But there will be all the possible photos on the forum... On the other hand, you'll have to wait a little longer : there's still so much to do on it !

I have just started (yesterday) one of these kits from Aedes Ars and am only now coming to realise these buildings are not as easy as one might think. I've never done anything quite llike it but I am finding it very satisfying. The bricks are tiny - much smaller than they appear in your pictures, and I am struggling to do certain bits, like around arched door openings etc - the two I have done so far look nothing like yours ha ha - so I am slightly in awe of what you have done Ekis,

Ps - just wanted to add, that watch tower looks amazing - In my opinion possibly the best of all the buildings so far.
Can you show us please your build in a build log?Thanks

Damm Damm Damm Damm Damm. I wish I've never see this!. I'd never heard of it, but now my Credit card has and I expect my ears will to when the Admiral ( now to be also known as town planner) finds out. Country village diorama on its way from Amazon US. Due June sometime. For anyone interested Amazon US sells a number of these kits. I' surprised how cheap they are.
A build log will be done!

Sorry for Hi jacking, but your sensational work and log have garnished a new fan to the Hobby !!. There goes the Victory build for a while longer!

Damm Damm Damm Damm Damm...
ROTF :D

Good luck, Paul, for this future construction!
I would just like to specify that I'm really out of a kit, and almost totally scratchbuilt. I add elements, wooden beams, stone elements. I combine walls, fireplaces, etc. on a cardboard base made by myself, in short, it's creation!
I wouldn't want you to be disappointed with a simple kit...

ps: remember to protect from ceramic dust...

Tks, I appreciate the comments, Watching some you tube vid's I can see the difference the effort and crafting expertise you have and uderstand its never going to be an out of the box perfect build.

I have a lot to learn about landscape diorama's alone. But thats half the fun. Its not an expensive item to try and i may stuff it it completely. For me its the challege of doing something different and the lessons learned. I do it for the pure enjoyment. I'm the nerdy IT kid with the guitar wanting to be Dave Gilmore, not the journeyman crafteer, never going to get there in my lifetime , but having a helluva time on the journey!

Cheers Paul

Back