Model Shipways Massachusetts Privateer Rattlesnake

This build log is to be blamed for my latest purchase, the Mamoli USS Rattlesnake. I have question about the color of the hull. How sure are we that the sides were painted yellow ochre? The Mamoli kit looks splendid in golden varnish like the cover art. Are there any historical references known which mention the ship's appearance? I'm looking to create the most authentic model based on what little we know. There must be more that is known for USS Rattlesnake than much older vessels such as La Couronne.

Also, what is known about what covered the lower hull? Some models use white stuff but this was far obsolete by 1780. I don't think it was copper sheathed like larger ships, but one source I read says it was. Basically, what color is the lower hull?

Last edited:
This build log is to be blamed for my latest purchase, the Mamoli USS Rattlesnake. I have question about the color of the hull. How sure are we that the sides were painted yellow ochre? The Mamoli kit looks splendid in golden varnish like the cover art. Are there any historical references known which mention the ship's appearance? I'm looking to create the most authentic model based on what little we know. There must be more that is known for USS Rattlesnake than much older vessels such as La Couronne.

Also, what is known about what covered the lower hull? Some models use white stuff but this was far obsolete by 1780. I don't think it was copper sheathed like larger ships, but one source I read says it was. Basically, what color is the lower hull?
I would go with the Golden varnish. I painted the model to the specs in the MS plans. I also purchased the MS Rattlesnake paint kit to use on it. Looking at the Alfred, this pretty much matches its paint scheme except for the inner bulwarks. MS has it gray while the Alfred was red. From what I have been able to find, every Continental Navy ship of the time had the off white hulls. Keep in mind that most of these ships started out as merchant ships.

My end state with this ship was practice for the MS Constitution so I opted to get the experience using paint. That being said, even though the Constitution and the Victory are still around....some historians think the white on the gundeck was actually painted ochre.

As much as I wanted to practice working with copper plating, I opted to build it using the off white, my logic was that it was a privateer, not a funded government construction project, money was to be made in the capture of other ships, not the building of the ship. The war was going to end eventually, build something fast, make money fast and then ditch the ship at war's end because it really wasn't constructed to be a merchant ship. The hull difference between the Alfred ( originally a merchant ship) and the Rattlesnake pretty much show the difference between a ship that were built for commerce and a ship that was built for commerce raiding.

All that being said the varnish Mamoli Rattlesnake really looks much better than the painted MS Rattlesnake. If we really want to get technical, every ship started out vanished and unpainted.....

Something else to keep in mind, each Captain of a ship changed aspects of the ship when he took command. A ship commissioned by a Navy had regulations to adhere to, privateers... not so much.

My first wooden ship was the Enterprise, I built the hull had to deploy, no place to store it so it went in the dumpster. Lessons were learned on how to construct a plank on bulkhead hull.....it served its purpose.

My second ship the Prince de Neu Chatel (sp), I married while working on the hull so when I deployed, I had a place to store it. I finished that one and still have it.

I retired from the Marines, three kids and no time to build these ships. 25 years later the oldest is in the Navy. She ordered the Constitution for father's day 2020.... still hasn't arrived. This gave me an excuse to get the Rattlesnake as practice for when the Lt's model arrives... I needed practice. My daughter is having problems getting the Constitution, I told her to not worry about it..... I need more practice after the Rattlesnake.

Damn the paint, full varnish ahead.

Last edited:
I would go with the Golden varnish. I painted the model to the specs in the MS plans. I also purchased the MS Rattlesnake paint kit to use on it. Looking at the Alfred, this pretty much matches its paint scheme except for the inner bulwarks. MS has it gray while the Alfred was red. From what I have been able to find, every Continental Navy ship of the time had the off white hulls. Keep in mind that most of these ships started out as merchant ships.

My end state with this ship was practice for the MS Constitution so I opted to get the experience using paint. That being said, even though the Constitution and the Victory are still around....some historians think the white on the gundeck was actually painted ochre.

As much as I wanted to practice working with copper plating, I opted to build it using the off white, my logic was that it was a privateer, not a funded government construction project, money was to be made in the capture of other ships, not the building of the ship. The war was going to end eventually, build something fast, make money fast and then ditch the ship at war's end because it really wasn't constructed to be a merchant ship. The hull difference between the Alfred ( originally a merchant ship) and the Rattlesnake pretty much show the difference between a ship that were built for commerce and a ship that was built for commerce raiding.

All that being said the varnish Mamoli Rattlesnake really looks much better than the painted MS Rattlesnake. If we really want to get technical, every ship started out vanished and unpainted.....

Something else to keep in mind, each Captain of a ship changed aspects of the ship when he took command. A ship commissioned by a Navy had regulations to adhere to, privateers... not so much.

My first wooden ship was the Enterprise, I built the hull had to deploy, no place to store it so it went in the dumpster. Lessons were learned on how to construct a plank on bulkhead hull.....it served its purpose.

My second ship the Prince de Neu Chatel (sp), I married while working on the hull so when I deployed, I had a place to store it. I finished that one and still have it.

I retired from the Marines, three kids and no time to build these ships. 25 years later the oldest is in the Navy. She ordered the Constitution for father's day 2020.... still hasn't arrived. This gave me an excuse to get the Rattlesnake as practice for when the Lt's model arrives... I needed practice. My daughter is having problems getting the Constitution, I told her to not worry about it..... I need more practice after the Rattlesnake.

Damn the paint, full varnish ahead.
The varnish does look good. Thanks for the guidance on the color choices. The color of my model will appear like the one on the cover art below, since it was a merchant ship as you said. Sails furled to the yards and stays will be done too because a ship without sails appears naked to me. It will be a good lesson in how to make realistic appearing furled sails since I have never done that before. What color do you think the wood carvings on stern and prow should be? I wonder if they were varnished wood and matched the hull. Perhaps the rails should be black? Painting was and extra expense for merchant vessels and probably was scarce.

s-l1600.jpg

The varnish does look good. Thanks for the guidance on the color choices. The color of my model will appear like the one on the cover art below, since it was a merchant ship as you said. Sails furled to the yards and stays will be done too because a ship without sails appears naked to me. It will be a good lesson in how to make realistic appearing furled sails since I have never done that before.

View attachment 251825
That is a beautiful model and well photographed. Congratulations!!! Rich (PT-2)

That is a beautiful model and well photographed. Congratulations!!! Rich (PT-2)
It better be.. it's Mamoli's cover art! :)
If you haven't noticed from my build logs, photography is not my thing. I need to get a proper camera and lights and take lessons from Olha Batchvarov.
My ship kit is still in the mail...
That being said, this picture is the look that appeals to me. It would be hard to paint over all that hard earned woodwork. :(

Last edited:
The varnish does look good. Thanks for the guidance on the color choices. The color of my model will appear like the one on the cover art below, since it was a merchant ship as you said. Sails furled to the yards and stays will be done too because a ship without sails appears naked to me. It will be a good lesson in how to make realistic appearing furled sails since I have never done that before. What color do you think the wood carvings on stern and prow should be? I wonder if they were varnished wood and matched the hull. Perhaps the rails should be black? Painting was and extra expense for merchant vessels and probably was scarce.

View attachment 251825
The Rattlesnake was built as a privateer, not a merchant ship... if the history on her is correct. This would explain why her hull wasn't as bulky as the Alfred which was originally built as a merchant ship. The Rattlesnake was built for speed, that being said, she probably didn't have much paint on her while she was in the service of the US. The last thing a Privateer would want is to be seen from a distance as a warship....I would think. If she ever had ochre, it probably wasn't until she was in British service. Interesting note, she was the ship that brought back to England of Lord Cornwallis' surrender at Yorktown.alfred.jpg

Number 13.... I think I am there now. I used different color threads which greatly helped the weave. Just need to shorten the weave on both sides of the mouse and it should be good. I'm seriously thinking about not dyeing the tan line. It seems to bring out the detail of the weave.20210821_203735.jpg20210821_203831.jpg20210821_205529.jpg20210821_210340.jpg20210821_212658.jpg20210821_213514.jpg20210821_213846.jpg20210821_214204.jpg20210821_215234.jpg20210821_215817.jpg20210821_222817.jpg20210821_223330.jpg20210821_224541.jpg20210821_235248.jpg20210821_235536.jpg

Number 13.... I think I am there now. I used different color threads which greatly helped the weave. Just need to shorten the weave on both sides of the mouse and it should be good. I'm seriously thinking about not dyeing the tan line. It seems to bring out the detail of the weave.View attachment 251890View attachment 251891View attachment 251892View attachment 251893View attachment 251894View attachment 251895View attachment 251896View attachment 251897View attachment 251898View attachment 251899View attachment 251900View attachment 251901View attachment 251902View attachment 251903View attachment 251904
You definitely have moved up several levels experimenting and applying your patience in weaving the thread to cover the mouse and then being able to serve the line on both ends. It looks great. That is one very impressive serving tool. Much more flexible than my single line Serve-O-Matic. May I ask the source to look into this in more detail ($$$$$$) This log has been an eye opener for me related to this detail in rigging. Well done. Rich (PT-2)

You definitely have moved up several levels experimenting and applying your patience in weaving the thread to cover the mouse and then being able to serve the line on both ends. It looks great. That is one very impressive serving tool. Much more flexible than my single line Serve-O-Matic. May I ask the source to look into this in more detail ($$$$$$) This log has been an eye opener for me related to this detail in rigging. Well done. Rich (PT-2)
Here it is:

The model I have is the SM 4 for $110.

Ordering is a little unusual. You don't realize that you ordered it until Alexy sends you an email about a day after you weren't sure if you ordered it. The initial contact; no payment information is requested. Once you reply to Alexy, about 2 days later you get a request on Pay Pal for authorization. Once you authorize it, the serving machine shows up within 7 days from Poland. Quicker than getting packages from my mother in law in the Czech Republic .

Last edited:
Been extremely busy at work.

Finally resumed work on the ship. Serving the shrouds now.... it's assemble line type work.

I also ordered one of the Amati 1:300 ships in a bottle. I figure that while I am in the assemble mode with everything handy....might as well try one of those while working on the Rattlesnake.

Last edited:
Been extremely busy at work moving simulators to make room for our guests.

Finally resumed work on the ship. Serving the shrouds now.... it's assemble line type work.

I also ordered one of the Amati 1:300 ships in a bottle. I figure that while I am in the assemble mode with everything handy....might as well try one of those while working on the Rattlesnake.
I have to ask what the "simulators" are that had to be moved for the Afgan incoming???? As a Viet Nam veteran I have to keep my present emotions out of our SoS forum as it is a totally open platform to anyone Googling around for threads or topics. Rich (PT-2)

Served 10 shrouds and started rigging the deadeyes....

I'm thinking that I run the shrouds from the mast top and then connect them to the deadeyes.... making sure to keep it even... secure the deadeyes so they don't move or secure the shroud and then adjust the deadeyes???
20210901_213824.jpg20210901_214031.jpg20210901_214041.jpg
Is there a better way?

Back