Professionally I build by way of scratch. But from time to time I obtain a plastic kit and work it as if it were wood -replacing as much of the plastic as possible and reinforcing the remainder using pine, birch and/or bass woods. On occasion, where warranted I will upgrade certain areas with cherry or walnut.

I feature this Airfix product to show that a kit can have the beauty of appearance as it's wood forerunners. In constructing I used the late Bjorn Landstrom book 'The Royal Warship VASA" to assist with much of the detail and colorscheme. The rigging and sails were created with references I obtained during the 1980s and 1990s when global ship modeling was at its zenith. Those references has been priceless for the type work requested.

So now, I present these images of a vintage kit that took seven months to modify. This is also to encourage those with the Airfix models to take a 'second look' at the possibilities of what the kit can become...from plastic to wood.DSCN2745 (2).jpgDSCN2282 (3).jpg2DSCN2784 (2).jpg8DSCN2845 (2).jpgForecastle Deck With Belayed Rigging Lines, VASA -Rex Stewart.jpgDSCN2951 (2).jpgDSCN2948 (2).jpgDSCN2941 (2).jpg

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative

A beautiful example of a bashed plastic kit - very good work
It would be also definitely interesting to see your scratch work (I guess in wood) -> would be highly interesting and I hops to see much more of your work
and btw:
I want to send you a warm welcome here on board of our forum - although already longer time member, but posting the first time

A beautiful example of a bashed plastic kit - very good work
It would be also definitely interesting to see your scratch work (I guess in wood) -> would be highly interesting and I hops to see much more of your work
and btw:
I want to send you a warm welcome here on board of our forum - although already longer time member, but posting the first time
Thanks...And yes, I will occasionally post (as I have time). Scratchbuilding in wood is interesting because detail can be altered without the complication to modify. More liberty and a broader range to be creative as shown in this piece.
S.S. NAUSHON  midship starboard view -Rex Stewart.JPGCapture 22 (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Professionally I build by way of scratch. But from time to time I obtain a plastic kit and work it as if it were wood -replacing as much of the plastic as possible and reinforcing the remainder using pine, birch and/or bass woods. On occasion, where warranted I will upgrade certain areas with cherry or walnut.

I feature this Airfix product to show that a kit can have the beauty of appearance as it's wood forerunners. In constructing I used the late Bjorn Landstrom book 'The Royal Warship VASA" to assist with much of the detail and colorscheme. The rigging and sails were created with references I obtained during the 1980s and 1990s when global ship modeling was at its zenith. Those references has been priceless for the type work requested.

So now, I present these images of a vintage kit that took seven months to modify. This is also to encourage those with the Airfix models to take a 'second look' at the possibilities of what the kit can become...from plastic to wood.View attachment 165010View attachment 165011View attachment 165012View attachment 165013View attachment 165014View attachment 165015View attachment 165016View attachment 165017

I appreciate the likes, gentlemen...Thank you! Hopefully I will be successful with converting another Airfix kit of ROYAL SOVEREIGN into the PRINCE ROYAL c.1610. I raise my glass to you ALL.