Thanks broadside. I appreciate your passion for the subject. After reading your’s and other’s post I am leaning toward blue, as you did. I understand you not sharing your professional techniques. I am curious if you can answer one question for me, and if you can’t, as I said, I understand. It appears in your pictures of your 1/144 scale Wasa that you did not use the kit provided molded deadeyes to attach the shrouds to the chain plate. The molded plastic ones in the kit are so tiny I can’t imagine what size (mm) deadeyes you had to use and the precision needed to rig them and the lanyards.

I have just started my second version of Airfix's VASA. The past few nights I have been researching her "true colors" on the Vasa Museum site. Now, after reading Broadsides comments, I'm really confused! haha The museum's own marine "archaeologists" claim chemical tests done on wooden bits from the transom show she was done in red paint, probably because red was a cheap color to produce, whereas indigo blue was extremely pricey to manufacture, I think the blue looks better, but being a history nut, I would like to do her justice, so I think I'll stick with the red, along with polychromatic-painted figures, as best I can. Any further info from members would be greatly appreciated! Rick1011

I think it's harder to convert a plastic kit to partial wood than building a wooden model from scratch, mostly because the plastic kit scale is so small, 1:144! The running rigging and blocks would have to be so small, with many blocks being 1mm is size, which are not available. Forget about gun tackles.

Back