Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

It is a very interesting approach and introduces a certain 'look' to your build. The only thing I would point out is that when you start down this path you need to be consistent. Be certain to keep applying this same 'used' appearance to future aspects of your ship.
I agree 100% weather there equals weather everywhere equals yet more work to be done. Consistency

So I have been waiting for a couple months to be able to get this ship and finally got the chance to get her. She is quite a large kit and a well invited challenge and next step in my path to developing as a model ship builder. View attachment 303692
This one is as big as my back seat which is crazy. I have been looking at logs and diagrams for weeks and once I got the ship home i did the normal check over the whole kit and found that unlike most of models where it's a set of plywood for the skeleton this kit comes with particle board. It's lighter but it doesn't feel as strong which leads me to believe that is why most modelers use balsa blocks in the slots in-between the bulk heads. View attachment 303693View attachment 303694View attachment 303695
Nice aligned and doing an overnight dry so I can start in morning on the deck. And start getting some next steps done.
Maybe the kit makers are being hit by a shortage of appropriate plywood, hence the use of particle - would that be faced MDF?

Maybe the kit makers are being hit by a shortage of appropriate plywood, hence the use of particle - would that be faced MDF?
Yea it's faced mdf but this kit was bought from another on this site so it was probably when they started switching to the one piece Bulkhead. It's not the worst but it's much worse regarding strength.

I agree 100% weather there equals weather everywhere equals yet more work to be done. Consistency
I am fine with the work and I want to learn about weathering and all because I like the look of a used and sailed ship much more then the crisp and clean.

Welp here goes my first conflict that if I was no careful I was gonna screw up. The directions say cut this 16 mm from the edge of the top deck. (@tonphil1960 no the top deck is not glued and will not be glued for quite some time because I want to get the 8 cannons under the top deck installed and grating and all done before I put a lid this.) The blueprint shows it's 21mm in width. IMG_20220501_165529302_HDR.jpg
Now I can see if the 4x4 was Infront of the 16mm cut but a 5mm difference causes concerns for me.

I need to do some more measurements to see the dimensions here and see if everything is lining up or if my blue prints are off and too enlarged from production. If the 1x1 plans are correct then I'll need to be VERY careful going forward but I'm glad I'm going slow else this could be an issue going forward.

PS. Like I figured the plans are fine so it's the instructions that are the issue. So will be measuring everything three times instead of two times

Last edited:
Alright so I guess I should explain why your getting sooooo many updates lol. I am pretty much immobile. I have both of my knees sprained from a bad Friday and then making it worse on Saturday AM. So sorry for all of this but it helps me forget the really bad shooting pain I'm dealing with.

Anyways here is the last update for today. I made the canopy's to the plans specifications and I think it turned out pretty good. But again another flaw in the instructions was found. The picture on the instructions looked like all of this was one size pieces. Low and behold I found out that one part was 4x4 and one was 5x5 and then the posts were actually 3 mm dowels ....
16514581068384026246693307871814.jpg

So again for anyone using this as a learning tool please please please please make sure you look over the numbers on the parts list to make sure you are using the right pieces.

Anyways here is some pictures of my results. And no nothing is glued and yes I did not paint or stain at all because I'm choosing the weathering style I am going to use.
IMG_20220501_201433589.jpgIMG_20220501_215919333.jpgIMG_20220501_220417330.jpgIMG_20220501_220422861.jpg

Thanks for checking in and let me know what you guys think!!

Thats a big and ambitious model Rob. You are progressing nicely with it. :)
Thank you kindly my friend I'm trying to make this build a good learning tool for someone who wants to try to tackle it. Also I like everyone I have talked to on here and I want my own space only person I haven't seen here lately is @Heinrich

Thank you kindly my friend I'm trying to make this build a good learning tool for someone who wants to try to tackle it. Also I like everyone I have talked to on here and I want my own space only person I haven't seen here lately is @Heinrich
My apologies Rob - I have just been very busy with many different things lately - classes, preparation, research and, today, cleaning house! ROTF

My apologies Rob - I have just been very busy with many different things lately - classes, preparation, research and, today, cleaning house! ROTF
It is quite alright we all have lives and we are all quite busy so it's perfectly fine

Sorry to read about the injury but glad you have a ship to work on as a diversion. I think you provide some care for your wife - that must be complicated when you are hurting yourself...

Sorry to read about the injury but glad you have a ship to work on as a diversion. I think you provide some care for your wife - that must be complicated when you are hurting yourself...
It is because she is disabled herself. God has been kind in that, while I am not too mobile, I can still do some things and my church and friends are willing to help as well. It just sucks because my second job which is Door Dash I can't do so we need to just move around bills and all to try and make this all work but I am fine with all that needs to happen. God is in control of my life and will use this as a growing opportunity for us as a couple in humility and meekness.

Well atleast you aren't bored which is a plus!! But we couldn't be board with our hobby cause there is so much left to do always

Make sure the plans are to scale and go by them. The instructions in these kits are poor at best, especially regarding order of build.

Make sure the plans are to scale and go by them. The instructions in these kits are poor at best, especially regarding order of build.
I have seen so few build logs or logs that stop just after where I am because they realize how much still needs to be done on the bottom deck and with the top deck glued and the poop deck it's near impossible to get in there.

Plan is that I am ditching there build progression and following my own from studying plans and then in this log I want it as a learning experience to help others through this kit. It's a beast but can be done well if some thought and research is put into it.

What I do need is some good hard copy books on modelling so I need to start compiling a list I want and then checking them off my list little by little to help me with rigging and proper techniques

Back