Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

I do not want holes that is for sure and I did see it but have not dissected it like I have the build on modelshipworld by Garward

So we made some progress and man is this wood different then the wood I got with my beagle..... It's gonna be a beautiful ship but wow oh wow is it some hard wood. Holds in place real nice and I can do some nice tight work with it but it takes some getting use to. View attachment 313527View attachment 313528
That frame is a mock one that I am using for general shape, but I am feeling good about the progress I am making. I need to find a nice back drop to take pictures in front of like everyone else does ROTFROTF
Yes, I know your problem with the hardwood. I simple discharged all planks and bought new ones from my local dealer. A recommendation: Add fillers for the not filled gab between the bulkheads, as you have done with the first 4 or 5. it gives much smoother planking later. mine was built in the 1980th -one of the first on the market.

Yes, I know your problem with the hardwood. I simple discharged all planks and bought new ones from my local dealer. A recommendation: Add fillers for the not filled gab between the bulkheads, as you have done with the first 4 or 5. it gives much smoother planking later. mine was built in the 1980th -one of the first on the market.
I find it actually not too hard to work with as long as I make sure it's bent and organized first so I'll be sticking with this wood. If I find that the mid section of the ships planks are not sitting right I'll try to add the balsa in again but I found it more of a hassle to shape then a help. Once I get an electric sander maybe my mind will change but as for now I'll just do bow and start fillers.

Hi Rob, that's some nice clean hull planking you are doing. Keep it up! The hard part is coming...
I'm a math guy so figuring out widths and shaping planks the right way is fun. Also with the harder wood it almost feels like it holds it's bent shape easier and smaller adjustments are easier as well??? I think that is why most prefer harder words so we will see how everything goes in the next couple weeks. All I know is I am not in any rush even if I only get 2 planks on on each side only that is fine by me.

I find it actually not too hard to work with as long as I make sure it's bent and organized first so I'll be sticking with this wood. If I find that the mid section of the ships planks are not sitting right I'll try to add the balsa in again but I found it more of a hassle to shape then a help. Once I get an electric sander maybe my mind will change but as for now I'll just do bow and start fillers.
By the way, have you seen the build from the polish guy -Wirek - you should have a look at his build - I have been helping him a lot from the start.
why are you fighting with baLSA BLOK? AS A MATH GUY it should bot be difficult to have a square of wood, inserted between the two bulkheads and the draw the body line
I used a type of swamp, that I got from a flower shop- making flower decorations - the swamp has to perfect point to suck up a lot of water, which I used. i made a blend - a few trials first -of water mixed with white carpenrter glue, let it such a few hours - the mix must be to viscose or not to water like - after then - and better if the wife is not at home, into the baking oven with about 90º C untill dry. it is now hard as a stone. will add a few drawing- bad made -

175--440-TOOL GADGET 004 (1).jpg

178-casco relleno con una sponja.jpg

179- sponja cortado-hull.jpg

177 -TOOL GADGET 004 (3) - copia.jpg

By the way, have you seen the build from the polish guy -Wirek - you should have a look at his build - I have been helping him a lot from the start.
why are you fighting with baLSA BLOK? AS A MATH GUY it should bot be difficult to have a square of wood, inserted between the two bulkheads and the draw the body line
I used a type of swamp, that I got from a flower shop- making flower decorations - the swamp has to perfect point to suck up a lot of water, which I used. i made a blend - a few trials first -of water mixed with white carpenrter glue, let it such a few hours - the mix must be to viscose or not to water like - after then - and better if the wife is not at home, into the baking oven with about 90º C untill dry. it is now hard as a stone. will add a few drawing- bad made -

View attachment 313580

View attachment 313581

View attachment 313582

View attachment 313583
Floral foam might actually be a good way to go and it's cheaper which is nice too. Thanks for the tips on this!!

View attachment 313580

View attachment 313581

View attachment 313582

View attachment 313583
Btw do you have a link to his build log because I can't find it on the forums

Here you go Rob:

PAR
Found the build before and Doc also linked it so we are good. Thank you for the suggestion to check his build out because it is a beautiful build
PARTLY WITH MY HELP. OBSERVE LATER ON, THAT HE HAS CHANGED THE BRITISH RIGGEN OF THE LOWER MASTS- MY WORK- TO THE CORRECT ORIENTAL RIGGEN. AS WELL THE GUNS RIGGED WERE ALL THE BRITISH ONES TOO.

Maybe a wise thing to do before you go any further is to fill every frame void with balsa. What will happen is the one where you don't have it filled will be where you'll have a planking issue. Fill it completely then fair the entire hull so you have a perfectly smooth and fair surface to plank on.

Just for those who are wondering I am still working on planking but things were very slow for a while. The top most planking is almost finished and then I will be working on the lower 3/4ths. I am taking my time to make sure each Gunport is done to the correct size which is the longest part of all of this. Other than that I'll have an update when I finish the top planking.

Back