Montanes 1:70 by OcCre

So I figure it's time for another update. Nothing too exciting as planking continues. 2/3 of her done but this will be where I stop for a little as I work on refining and drilling gunports and making sure my cannons fit and don't fall. I feel keeping the bottom of the hull open for this process might help me with possibilities of losing my pieces high if I finish the planking first lol. 20220808_132425.jpg20220808_132253.jpg20220808_132232.jpg20220808_132220.jpg20220808_132212.jpg
Also new phone so nicer pictures. Yay!! Also you don't really just how heavy this ship is till the planking starts getting almost complete o_O she is a hefty girl but I'm enjoying it none the less.

I have a power sander on order and will be this weekend so I can start sanding and getting my sawdust for my very needed patches that will need help. This wood did not make this planking easy I tell you what. It just would not bend even with heat and soaking or the planking hand tool or anything. It just kept snapping even with gentleness and re soaking the planks and all so I think it was just the wood and not my skill maybe.....

So I figure it's time for another update. Nothing too exciting as planking continues. 2/3 of her done but this will be where I stop for a little as I work on refining and drilling gunports and making sure my cannons fit and don't fall. I feel keeping the bottom of the hull open for this process might help me with possibilities of losing my pieces high if I finish the planking first lol. View attachment 322501View attachment 322502View attachment 322503View attachment 322504View attachment 322505
Also new phone so nicer pictures. Yay!! Also you don't really just how heavy this ship is till the planking starts getting almost complete o_O she is a hefty girl but I'm enjoying it none the less.

I have a power sander on order and will be this weekend so I can start sanding and getting my sawdust for my very needed patches that will need help. This wood did not make this planking easy I tell you what. It just would not bend even with heat and soaking or the planking hand tool or anything. It just kept snapping even with gentleness and re soaking the planks and all so I think it was just the wood and not my skill maybe.....
Hi, you appear to be well advanced so my suggestion will probably not be necessary, but for that type of wood, walnut is it, you probably need a couple of hours of soaking. That's what I did. It's painfully slow, but if you do a bunch at the same time you can have them ready for use.

Go slow with the power sander Rob...
Slow and steady I know it's very easy to make a big mistake and it's for the initial shape not the finer details. So there will be a lot of hand sanding to get the exact shape I want but the starting shaping and getting everything level will be the sander.
Hi, you appear to be well advanced so my suggestion will probably not be necessary, but for that type of wood, walnut is it, you probably need a couple of hours of soaking. That's what I did. It's painfully slow, but if you do a bunch at the same time you can have them ready for use.
I appreciate the idea because it's quite annoying to dry and deal with... also I'm humbled by your assumption but this is only my second ship, so I am still learning for sure but again thank you!

Last edited:
You will have issue with those broken planks. To get the planks level you might sand right through the bends. Remember to get a smooth shape you have to remove material down to the lowest point so if you have several planks that are much lower than others that’s the level you need to get to but without sanding right through the higher ones. Not an easy task. It’s like cutting wood, “you can always cut another piece off but you can’t cut a piece on.”

You will have issue with those broken planks. To get the planks level you might sand right through the bends. Remember to get a smooth shape you have to remove material down to the lowest point so if you have several planks that are much lower than others that’s the level you need to get to but without sanding right through the higher ones. Not an easy task. It’s like cutting wood, “you can always cut another piece off but you can’t cut a piece on.”
If I can make a guess your talking about the front side of the ship. Those are actually extra pieces on top of the planking to so I can make the curve. Because of the planks not twisting with the bends without breaking this is my solution to make sure there is enough material. Not the prettiest now but I wanted to make sure I didn't have to add once I was sanding.

No I mean the stern but now I see it the bow too.
Each plank one by one needs to be shaped and spiled and yes it takes forever maybe 2 planks per day but then you won’t be trying to bend them into shapes they will not bend to. They’ll only bend to a point and just as critical they should be tapered to fit their space sometimes in different directions. No planks are ever really equal in width or shape.

So I figure it's time for another update. Nothing too exciting as planking continues. 2/3 of her done but this will be where I stop for a little as I work on refining and drilling gunports and making sure my cannons fit and don't fall. I feel keeping the bottom of the hull open for this process might help me with possibilities of losing my pieces high if I finish the planking first lol. View attachment 322501View attachment 322502View attachment 322503View attachment 322504View attachment 322505

Good morning Rob. Well done. I know you have heard it 100 times but take your time sanding. It is a make or break aspect of your hull. - especially those fixes on your bow. Going to be fun tho. Cheers Grant

No I mean the stern but now I see it the bow too.
Each plank one by one needs to be shaped and spiled and yes it takes forever maybe 2 planks per day but then you won’t be trying to bend them into shapes they will not bend to. They’ll only bend to a point and just as critical they should be tapered to fit their space sometimes in different directions. No planks are ever really equal in width or shape.
This is so true! Excellent advice.

So after some time of slow progress I feel that I can share where I am currently. Seeing as I am working out of order of the suggested process of the instruction I'm flying by the seat of my pants.

So the lower gunports are under the lower deck so once I close off the planking I will have access behind the ports if anything happens when setting the false cannons. Think of this I have paused on planking to do some work on these ports to allow me to progress on the planking. So I have done the starboard lower gunport frames and have drilled the holes for the cannons to be mounted. I left a small amount of wiggles room to line them up fully once I do the final mounting. 20220827_104911.jpg20220827_104922.jpg20220827_104932.jpg20220827_104941.jpg
The frames I am going to clean up and sand down them to be flush with the planking. I am probably just going to do all the gun port frames to get them done before I finish planking but I'm also anxious to close up the hull so I can work on the sanding of the hull fully.

PS: I test the power sander and I have good control of it and have the planks secure enough that they are not breaking. Also not going less then 120-160 grit paper to make sure I don't over sand.

Hello Rob,
I would be dry fitting the stem and keel to ensure a snug fit with the planks. Great progress. :)
Hey Bryan and thx for coming to check out my build. I have not completed the planking yet and have the bottom. 3rd completely open still, but those are next on my list after completing the port side cannons. I wanted access to the back of the false cannons incase I have an accident.

Back