MY BLUENOSE- YUANQING SCALE 1:72 SCALE [COMPLETED BUILD]

it's great to see you and the little ones back at Bluenose again, my friend! The masts and accompanying hoops indeed look great!
Hello Heinrich My Friend, I thank you very much for your visit to my YQ-Bluenose build log. Also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes it is nice to be back working a bit in my Old Ship Yard, I got to keep pushing the little fellows but they are slowly coming coming around after there long vacation. We have been working on the lower fore mast and it is almost complete, onward and up ward.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I got a bit of a surprise when we went looking for the lower mast hoops, thought we had them but they were no where to be found . So we got out a piece of 2mm pear wood along with our tiny plane and made a bunch of shavings. We then got out a 25/64, 10mm drill bit and then wound these shavings around the drill bit an glued them up.
Sanded the ends and applied a little Tung Oil.
We also completed the fore mast along with all of it's fittings, there are quite a few of them.
Regards Lawrence

DSCN0048 - Copy.JPG

DSCN0049.JPG

DSCN0051 - Copy.JPG

DSCN0053.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I got a bit of a surprise when we went looking for the lower mast hoops, thought we had them but they were no where to be found . So we got out a piece of 2mm pear wood along with our tiny plane and made a bunch of shavings. We then got out a 25/64, 10mm drill bit and then wound these shavings around the drill bit an glued them up.
We also completed the fore mast along with all of it's fittings, there are quite a few of them.
Regards Lawrence

View attachment 394753

View attachment 394754

View attachment 394755

View attachment 394756
Your real wooden mast hoops from these shavings looks great, Lawrence. Very inventive.
Also for you a PS, as a wrote by Daniel: Don’t forget the 2 small rods at the back side ends of the small spreader bar, going in a curve to halfway the front spreader bar. The prevent running lines or pieces of sail to become tangled between those spreader bars.
IMG_3846.jpeg
It’s all about the details ……… ;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
When I was adding my post a few minutes ago, I got a bit confused: am I adding it to the correct build-log?
I saw a picture of two masts with the YQ-drawings on the background. But a big aha ........ both almost at the same level/height:
1694847996778.png
Or have I got them mixed up...;)
PS for the admin's: It looks like a double-post, but it isn't ........ ROTF
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
Your real wooden mast hoops from these shavings looks great, Lawrence. Very inventive.
Also for you a PS, as a wrote by Daniel: Don’t forget the 2 small rods at the back side ends of the small spreader bar, going in a curve to halfway the front spreader bar. The prevent running lines or pieces of sail to become tangled between those spreader bars.
View attachment 394781
It’s all about the details ……… ;)
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, I thank you for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes I was aware of of these Crosstrees end Braces or Struts and was thinking of adding them to my YQ-Bluenose. Looking in my The American Fishing Schooner book there are a number of ways this can be added depending on the year the schooner was built. I do like the ones in your picture though.
Regards Lawrence

When I was adding my post a few minutes ago, I got a bit confused: am I adding it to the correct build-log?
I saw a picture of two masts with the YQ-drawings on the background. But a big aha ........ both almost at the same level/height:
View attachment 394783
Or have I got them mixed up...;)
PS for the admin's: It looks like a double-post, but it isn't ........ ROTF
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, Funny you should notice Daniel's and my picture being so close, I will have to have a look at Daniels's build log, from his picture it looks like we have a lot in common, Thanks.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Lawrence, I was just perusing your very fine build log as a result of our friend Peter @Peter Voogt and his comparison pictures of our builds. I must say I am truly impressed with your approach and skills on this vessel. I really love your mast hoops and the inventive way you produced them. I would be honored to follow you on through to completion on your build.
Daniel

Hello Lawrence, I was just perusing your very fine build log as a result of our friend Peter @Peter Voogt and his comparison pictures of our builds. I must say I am truly impressed with your approach and skills on this vessel. I really love your mast hoops and the inventive way you produced them. I would be honored to follow you on through to completion on your build.
Daniel
Hello Daniel, Welcome aboard, we are always pleased to have a new crew member on board. Yes Peter has produced some very fine work on his YQ-Bluenose. His skills are beyond me and my humble skills but then again I do try. Bluenose is very special to me as my Great Grand Father was a skipper on one of these fishing schooners in the early 1900ths. I will surely check in on your YQ-Bluenose, as pointed out by Peter our pictures are very much the same be chance, as I have not seen you picture before Peter pointed it out.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Daniel, Welcome aboard, we are always pleased to have a new crew member on board. Yes Peter has produced some very fine work on his YQ-Bluenose. His skills are beyond me and my humble skills but then again I do try. Bluenose is very special to me as my Great Grand Father was a skipper on one of these fishing schooners in the early 1900ths. I will surely check in on your YQ-Bluenose, as pointed out by Peter our pictures are very much the same be chance, as I have not seen you picture before Peter pointed it out.
Regards Lawrence
Thats great family history. My grandfather and grandmother went fishing in Canada every year on Perrault Lake out of Gold Arrow camp in Ontario.

Regards Lawrence

View attachment 394753

View attachment 394754

View attachment 394755

View attachment 394756
Hello Lawrence,
When looking at your picture of blocks on the foremast, I noted that you installed four single blocks on the fore mast, above the tresseltree. Both YQ's- as MS' drawings indicate three blocks. Did you use information from another set of drawings, showing four blocks?

Left your configuration, right MS configuration.
IMG_0050.jpegIMG_0051.jpeg

Detail from MS' drawing, showing the lanyard installation of the fore gaff.
IMG_0052.png

Hello Lawrence,
When looking at your picture of blocks on the foremast, I noted that you installed four single blocks on the fore mast, above the tresseltree. Both YQ's- as MS' drawings indicate three blocks. Did you use information from another set of drawings, showing four blocks?

Left your configuration, right MS configuration.
View attachment 394876View attachment 394877

Detail from MS' drawing, showing the lanyard installation of the fore gaff.
View attachment 394880
Hello Johan, I thought I seen this some where, but for now I fail to find it, just maybe I made a Boo-Boo. It so I will live with it.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, Thanks to Peter for the thumps up on the Crosstree , End Brace or Strut the little fellows and I have installed these on our YQ-Bluenose. Both on the fore and mane mast.

Regards Lawrence

PS The splashed paint has since been removed!

View attachment 394885
I am glad it’s not a re-do but a quick ad-on. :) Well done, Lawrence.
Regards, Peter

Back