MY BLUENOSE- YUANQING SCALE 1:72 SCALE [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello Ship Mates, After many re-builds the little fellows and I have completed building and installing the 8 bunks in the Port side of the Fore castle, this should have been a very easy build for us but that was not to be.
Regards LawrenceView attachment 304356
Hello Ship Mates, Today the little fellows and I cleaned up the bunks, built a Mess table out of Boxwood and trimmed the rail with thin cherry strips. We also gave this new table and the bunk area a coat of Tung Oil, as it soon will not be accessible. Now we will look at the Galley Bulkhead and have another look at the Galley stove as it seams just a little small.
Regards LawrenceView attachment 304498View attachment 304499
That’s nice fiddling on the square inches. With a very nice result, Lawrence.
I am curious where the supports for the bowsprit and windlass find their rest. Or do you place them just through the deck?
Regards, Peter

That’s nice fiddling on the square inches. With a very nice result, Lawrence.
I am curious where the supports for the bowsprit and windlass find their rest. Or do you place them just through the deck?
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, Thanks for your kind words and support. The Bow Sprint will rest or attach to the Sampson post that will sit on the ships keel about 1/2 way up on the forward bunks, making them just a bit cozier to say the least. The windless will be supported from below the deck very much like the original ship was. That mid deck build in the bow was a very easy way for YQ-Bluenose to reinforce all of these items, making the Bluenose much easier to build. But in all of my searching I have never found this mid deck platform, just maybe I have misted some thing.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Peter, Thanks for your kind words and support. The Bow Sprint will rest or attach to the Sampson post that will sit on the ships keel about 1/2 way up on the forward bunks, making them just a bit cozier to say the least. The windless will be supported from below the deck very much like the original ship was. That mid deck build in the bow was a very easy way for YQ-Bluenose to reinforce all of these items, making the Bluenose much easier to build. But in all of my searching I have never found this mid deck platform, just maybe I have misted some thing.
Regards Lawrence
You are correct about the front mid deck.
I should have taken it out too.
But now we do get different, unique BN's :)
I like your approach and looking forward to your next post.
Regards, Peter

Oh boy, this makes me reconsider the mid deck as well. Thanks, my dear friends!
ROTF
Hello Johan, Yes this idea of mine created a few head aches, but I believe it was all worth while.
I came across this article on the fishing Schooner LA Dunton and a 93 year old dory man who sailed on her. This shows the focal very nicely and just how crowded the bow area of these fishing schooners were.
Regards Lawrence

One of the last great Gloucester schooners: The L.A ...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/cana...e only doryman still alive who fished on it …

Last edited:
But I still have the following question; how are you going to structurally attach all equipment that was to be attached to the fwd mid deck?

Last edited:
But I still have the following question; how are you going to structurally attach all equipment that was to be attached to the fwd mid deck?
Hello Johan, Here is that picture that I was trying to send earlier showing the bow section of a fishing schooner and how very cramped it was. In the back ground you can see the Sampson Post or the Pawl Post, no center deck. I have also added two PDF,s of the schooners windless, how it was fastened to the reinforced deck beams, there is no mid deck here. The other PDF shows the Sampson Pole or Pawl Post going to the ships keel to support the Bow Sprite, this is how I will build my YQ-Bluenose.
Regards Lawrence
maurice-kearley (1 )new.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220423_0001.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220423_0002.pdf
    947.4 KB · Views: 16
Thank you so much, Lawrence for your clarification. The attached pdf's make a lot of sense; attachment through the lateral deck beams and the additional longitudinal beams or sills, a pretty robust solution.
I have some homework to do. Do I tear out the two fwd clamps? Contemplation time while making the aft cabin floorbeams...
I also read the article you referred to, although the link wasn't working for me, it was just a single search and voilá.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/grand-bank-schooner-centenary-1.6024055

Hello Johan, Here is that picture that I was trying to send earlier showing the bow section of a fishing schooner and how very cramped it was. In the back ground you can see the Sampson Post or the Pawl Post, no center deck. I have also added two PDF,s of the schooners windless, how it was fastened to the reinforced deck beams, there is no mid deck here. The other PDF shows the Sampson Pole or Pawl Post going to the ships keel to support the Bow Sprite, this is how I will build my YQ-Bluenose.
Regards Lawrence
View attachment 304735
Thanks for sharing this info!
Regards, Peter

What a great picture Lawrence. She sure was cramped.
Hello Heinrich, Yes that is for sure, These fishing schooners were not meant for comfort, just the bare necessity, a place to eat and sleep. Most of the day would be spent fishing and preparing the salted fish. This schooner was not the Bluenose as she had a little more head room but all that much.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, Between my house hold chores and care giving the little fellows and I have built the bulkhead between the ships Galley and the salt room. We also built a working counter with a sink and counter top hand water pump. The pump is a bit out of scale but this is the best that I could come up with at this scale. We dry fitted our earlier Galley cook stove just to see how it would fit in, we are not all that pleased with the cook stove and are considering a rebuild, just maybe.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_6161.JPGIMG_6162.JPGIMG_6163.JPG

You can rebuild the stove if you really think it is necessary Lawrence - but just do not lose my coffee-pot! :)
Hello Heinrich, Yes the over size coffee pot is a must on a fishing schooner and it will stay. However I feel that I must refine that stove just a little bit, but not a lot.
Regards Lawrence

We dry fitted our earlier Galley cook stove just to see how it would fit in, we are not all that pleased with the cook stove and are considering a rebuild, just maybe.
Hi Lawrence. About the quote: when you are at that stage ……….. I see a new stove coming soon. :)
And for the rest: it’s a pleasure to see the focsle growing with all the attributes.
Regards, Peter

Hi Lawrence. About the quote: when you are at that stage ……….. I see a new stove coming soon. :)
And for the rest: it’s a pleasure to see the focsle growing with all the attributes.
Regards, Peter
Hello Peter, I do thank you very much four your understanding. Yes a new stove is in the making and now I have it all cut out and starting to glue it up. I do hope that I can do it justice.
regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, The little fellows and I could not stand that first stove any longer and went to work building an new up-dated model. We kept the old original coffee pot but enhanced it just a bit, we think that this is much more fitting for our YQ-Bluenose. We also but a huge pot of stew on the new stove. The stove and the sink counter are just dry fitted and do still need to be some what adjusted.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_6164.JPGIMG_6165.JPGIMG_6166.JPG

Back