My little Victory

Hi Guys,

At this stage in the build the instruction booklet jumps about all over the ship from place to place and only calls the bits and pieces or parts by number, and as I do not know what the fittings are called I will just show some of these in photos as I go or when the parts are finished and fitted.

To get some of the thickness required to make the parts I have to glue layers of wood or plastic together.

As you can see in the photos the white plastic used to make this part on the bow is made from two layers of Ice Cream tub plastic and some fuse wire.

20221119_130354.jpg20221119_130401.jpg

This part has been painted yellow and the fuse wire will be painted gold at a later date.

20221119_133334.jpg20221119_133340.jpg

Making parts for this 1:200 scale ship is quiet fiddly and the carpet monster eats quite a lot of these parts.
So I end up making them again, sometimes two or three times.
Most annoying, but as one member has mentioned on another thread It fills the swear jar in my case bucket.ROTF

I like your little Victory. Very imppresive work at that scale. My suggestions -if you can fix it:
1.Cathead holes can be done with 0,5/0,4mm drills so you can make at least 4
2.Deadeyes. They look too big. From what I can see they're 3mm. If you could change them to 2mm I would look much better. Smaller backstay dead eyes could be done from copper tube/pipe

Both deadeyes and pipes are from amati

Hi WojtasS.
Thank you for your comments and recommendations.
Due to my financial situation which I might add is getting worse, and my love of building boats/ships this project has only been made possible thank's to one of our good members.
Our member Rsj was kind enough to send me some drawings and instructions for the 1:200 scale HMS Victory that he had built.
So I decided that I would attempt to make this ship with what ever I could find lying around the house as I do not have any money to spend on this hobby.
I knew I had some spare bits and pieces for this type of ship and I was hoping that I had enough to complete it.
What I did not have I would have to try and make from some thing.

The reason I call it a representative model is because of the lack of equipment to be able to make the parts properly.

Re: the deadeyes.
These were from my spares box and were the closest that I have, my plan was that as the real ships deadeye's are black In colour I thought I would paint these black and that way they would blend in better and hopefully would look ok.

Re:the Catheads.
On the parts drawings it only shows two holes in each.
So if I can try and fill the two holes I then might be able to change it and drill four holes in them.

Re: the back stay deadeyes.

Again these are from my spares box. I have to use them now as they are super glued in but hopefully when they are painted black they should blend in better.

I have found some smaller deadeyes but only enough to do the ones on the mast platforms. (sorry I don't know the proper names for these)

One day if I can afford to do the Lottery I might be lucky enough to win enough to purchase a nice big kit like you guys have ROTF.

Hi Guys,

I managed to make these things (I don’t know what they are called).
It was a bit of a struggle due to the size.
I had to combine wood and Ice-cream tub plastic because the wood kept snapping when I was trying to drill and file the square holes for the posts.
I also made the belaying pin racks.

20221122_112017.jpg20221122_114235.jpg20221122_115900.jpg20221123_131711.jpg20221123_131721.jpg20221123_153608.jpg20221123_153602.jpg20221123_155310.jpg20221123_155324.jpg20221123_155341.jpg20221123_155335.jpg

Hi Guys,
I have not been able to do much this week on my little Victory, however the only things I managed to get done was the transom lights.
I used a bit of a wooden knitting needle that I filed to shape with a very small piece of cocktail stick glued to the tops then painted and fitted.

20221129_112529.jpg20221129_112539.jpg20221130_101444.jpg20221130_101503.jpg

Made the platform and ladders from the poop deck to the main weather deck.
The ladders were made from some spare deck grating wood.

20221130_142146.jpg

Man, with a room full of wood and tools and machinery I couldn't build anything any where near as good as this guy builds with just stuff laying around the house. This is brilliant. When this model is finished it would be welcome in any museum. This is a most impressive model build. Pete
Hi Norgale,

Thank you for the fantastic comment.
Due to my financial situation it makes me feel a little down having to scratch around to find stuff to make my models instead of having these great kits that you other guys have.
But that comment has given me the boost that I really needed thank you.

Hello Martin,
I can understand your situation, we had already talked about it. However, I must honestly say that you are doing an excellent job with what you have available and that one or two others can take a leaf out of your book and I am not excluding myself. I wouldn't have had the courage to do it, so I respect you because I think that's what makes a true master builder.

Hi Norgale,

Thank you for the fantastic comment.
Due to my financial situation it makes me feel a little down having to scratch around to find stuff to make my models instead of having these great kits that you other guys have.
But that comment has given me the boost that I really needed thank you.
Considering you developed the entire model's shape on your own, it looks very good. Because your model is small in scale it's much more difficult to make the details look sharp. My first model was 1:100 scale, and the greatest challenge was painting small things with straight lines and square angles. Painted items begin to appear blobby and in consistent when painted by hand on a small scale, at least with my hands. If you want to see incredibly precise hand painting on a micro scale, look at @dockattner's Wasa. It's so tempting to try to pack all the details from a 1:48 scale model into a 1:100 scale one, but it's incredibly difficult.

Hello Martin,
I can understand your situation, we had already talked about it. However, I must honestly say that you are doing an excellent job with what you have available and that one or two others can take a leaf out of your book and I am not excluding myself. I wouldn't have had the courage to do it, so I respect you because I think that's what makes a true master builder.
Hi Tobias,
Thank you for your really nice comment, It dose make me feel as though I am doing the right thing instead of giving up my model making.

Back