My little Victory

Considering you developed the entire model's shape on your own, it looks very good. Because your model is small in scale it's much more difficult to make the details look sharp. My first model was 1:100 scale, and the greatest challenge was painting small things with straight lines and square angles. Painted items begin to appear blobby and in consistent when painted by hand on a small scale, at least with my hands. If you want to see incredibly precise hand painting on a micro scale, look at @dockattner's Wasa. It's so tempting to try to pack all the details from a 1:48 scale model into a 1:100 scale one, but it's incredibly difficult.
Thank you, It is a bit of a battle but I am slowly getting there.
I know this little Victory is not perfect in the slightest, but I am finding it challenging and fun and above all I just want to see if I could make something that look reasonable.

Hi Guys.
Thank you guys for the nice comments and all the Likes, I really do appreciate it.

With the added boost that you guys have given me I managed to do something that is not on the plans/drawings or instructions that I am using for guidance.
And that is the ship's helm and compass cabinet.
Yes you guest it "made from electrical wire and a small piece of cocktail stick and a piece of deck strip wood.
The compass's and cabinet chimney is cocktail stick.
The helm is electrical wire.

20221203_102237.jpg20221203_105656.jpg20221203_110336.jpg20221203_114811.jpg20221203_133228.jpg

The whole thing is that ship models have been around for hundreds of years. Some were made by sailors with whatever they could find around a ship they were sailing on. I've seen pictures of ships built out of fish bones with nothing but ordinary tools that you would find on a ship, mostly carved with a small knife. What you are doing here is exactly what those old sailors would do and you are carrying on with an old technique that 99% of modelers would not even try anymore. It's a lost art that I thought i would never see. You just show what can be done when you really put your mind to it. The main thing is to keep at it. The more you build the better you become. Your model is outstanding.

The whole thing is that ship models have been around for hundreds of years. Some were made by sailors with whatever they could find around a ship they were sailing on. I've seen pictures of ships built out of fish bones with nothing but ordinary tools that you would find on a ship, mostly carved with a small knife. What you are doing here is exactly what those old sailors would do and you are carrying on with an old technique that 99% of modelers would not even try anymore. It's a lost art that I thought i would never see. You just show what can be done when you really put your mind to it. The main thing is to keep at it. The more you build the better you become. Your model is outstanding.
Hi Norgale.
Thank you for your nice comment.
Reading your words about the old sailers and how they used to make their model boats, and the way I make mine. well I never thought of it like that I suppose I am a modern version..

Several years ago I built a model from scratch of a sailing yacht that I saw on line named the "Athena". (video on YouTube now of the ship) There was a good, straight on side view picture of it that I copied and used to scale the model. I was also lucky enough to find the deck layouts for her so that gave me enough to do the model. When I was almost done with the hull and the superstructure a friend saw it and recognized the yacht right away. I knew then I had done a decent job making the model from the picture. My point is that if others who are familiar with the ship and recognize your model then you have done a good job. I don't think anyone who is familiar with the Victory could miss recognizing your model.
One other thing is that according to the records of the British Navy, which I have somewhere, my Grandfather served as a signalman on the Victory during the latter half of the 1800's. If I can find those copies I'll post them. Kind of interesting at least for me. I think he would have liked your model very much. As far as I know he lived in Leeds and then in Dymchurch before he came to America. He was originally from Scotland.

Hi Guys,

I thought I would try an experiment today and see if I could make the netting that goes around the outer edge on Victory.

I started by cutting some lengths of electrical wire and bending them in a ‘U’ shape.
IMG_3095.JPGIMG_3094.JPG

Then placed them on a piece of wood and cut them all to the same length.
IMG_3096.JPG

I then made a small jig to hold the ‘U’ shaped wires at the correct spacing.
IMG_3097.JPG

Next was the fun bit and that was to solder two lengths of wire to the ‘U’ shapes.
IMG_3098.JPGIMG_3099.JPG
I made a bit of a pigs ear of the soldering on this one but after cleaning up the joints it did not look two bad.

Glued on some off cuts of net curtain to this assembly and then painted it black.
IMG_3101.JPGIMG_3102.JPGIMG_3103.JPGIMG_3104.JPGIMG_3111.JPGIMG_3108.JPG

This photo shows it placed on the ship just to see how it looks.
IMG_3109.JPG

Now that I have proved to myself that I could do it I now have to make them for the ship.
Hopefully better than this one LOL!!!

Whilst I was playing with this wire I made the belaying pins from it.
I then fitted and painted them.
IMG_3105.JPGIMG_3106.JPGIMG_3107.JPG

Hi Guys,

Still working on the hull, due to the lack of the correct materials I had to glue some strips of wood together to make some thin sheets,
this I had done slightly in advanced whilst waiting for some of the planking to adhere to the frames.View attachment 335862View attachment 335863View attachment 335864
As I do not have a Lathe or a drill I will not be making 102 cannons so I will be closing up most of the gunport's.

(My excuse is that I think she would only show her cannons when in battle)

A few more strips added.
View attachment 335865View attachment 335866View attachment 335867
A little filling and sanding and it is starting to look like a ship.
I am sure there were more than just cannons hanging out those gunports when the ship was at sea! Good progress on this ship. cannot wait to see more.

Hi Guys,
I have now finished the decks and fittings.
Also the hammock netting all around the ship.

IMG_3115.JPGIMG_3116.JPGIMG_3117.JPG
Next step will be making the Bowsprit and finishing the bow of the ship.

Due to the size of some of the bits and pieces I found when holding and filing them I filed through my finger nails, so I had to modify a cloths peg to hold the small pieces, added some thin rubber to the tips to help with grip, I could always add a bit more pressure if needed.

IMG_3088.JPGIMG_3089.JPG

I also knocked up a couple of rotating grips that is used for holding yards and masts or anything for painting or working on.
They can be used horizontally or vertically, and for any lengths.
Made from 2 x large bottle tops, 6 x Allen bolts, and a few blocks of wood.
I gave then a quick coat of paint to make them look a little better.IMG_3121.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3118.JPGIMG_3120.JPG

Hi Guys,
I have now finished the decks and fittings.
Also the hammock netting all around the ship.

View attachment 346077View attachment 346078View attachment 346079
Next step will be making the Bowsprit and finishing the bow of the ship.

Due to the size of some of the bits and pieces I found when holding and filing them I filed through my finger nails, so I had to modify a cloths peg to hold the small pieces, added some thin rubber to the tips to help with grip, I could always add a bit more pressure if needed.

View attachment 346075View attachment 346076

I also knocked up a couple of rotating grips that is used for holding yards and masts or anything for painting or working on.
They can be used horizontally or vertically, and for any lengths.
Made from 2 x large bottle tops, 6 x Allen bolts, and a few blocks of wood.
I gave then a quick coat of paint to make them look a little better.View attachment 346083View attachment 346081View attachment 346080View attachment 346082
Good morning Martin. WOW. Like other scratch builds I have missed out on this log so far. My loss. To build this ship at such a small scale is ridiculously impressive- respect!! I am in awe of the level of detail you are including. Cheers Grant

Hi Guys,

It was at this stage I thought I had better make a stand for the boat.
I did not want to make anything that be over the top as I thought minimum is the way to go.

After looking at the stand that I had made I thought it looks a bit bland.
‘It needed something’.

View attachment 336716View attachment 336717

looking around for simple ideas I then thought a Dolphin will do the trick.
I drew around the shape of the stand then using my computer screen trick Found a Dolphin to copy, placed paper with the shape of the stand onto the screen and enlarged the Dolphin to fit.
Drew the Dolphin shape onto the paper, cut it out transferred it to the wood.
Cut it out with a fret saw and shaped it and glued it to the stand.
View attachment 336718View attachment 336719

A quick coat of Varnish and thought to myself ‘that will do’.

View attachment 336720View attachment 336721
Simply love the Dolphin and how you did it.

Good morning Martin. WOW. Like other scratch builds I have missed out on this log so far. My loss. To build this ship at such a small scale is ridiculously impressive- respect!! I am in awe of the level of detail you are including. Cheers Grant
Thank you Grant,
To receive a great comment form a true master is indeed a complement.
I am nowhere near your skill level or the skill level of the other members here, But I am trying.
My wife says I am very trying! :confused:ROTF

Hi guys,

Finally started the Bow and Bowsprit.

The Bowsprit is made from a lengths of BBQ stick and the yards from cocktail sticks, all hand sanded to shape.

I must say that I am only going to rig this ship as the pictures in the instruction booklet and plans that our member Rsj kindly gifted me, so you know that the rigging will not be correct but should look reasonable.
I am also trying to Finnish the hull’s bow using some thin strips of Ice Cream tub plastic.

As you guys know it is at this stage of the build when it slows right down.

The rigging is always something that makes a ship look impressive to other people that do not make model ships, and is also the part that is more time consuming.
In my case it is made a little more difficult as I have to make the rigging block.
The blocks are made from sanded down cocktail sticks.
I think they look a little oversized but then again is makes a talking point.

As you can see in the photos I still have more rigging to do on this Bowsprit.

In this photo you can see the Bowsprit in my working jig.
IMG_3122.JPG

Bowsprit (work in progress).
IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3130.JPG
IMG_3131.JPG

A few photos with a rule so that you get an idea of scale.

IMG_3134.JPGIMG_3135.JPGIMG_3133.JPG

This will be the last update before Christmas so I would like to wish all members a very merry Christmas.
And god willing I will see you all in the new year.

IMG_3123.JPG

Hi guys,

The Bowsprit is made from a lengths of BBQ stick and the yards from cocktail sticks, all hand sanded to shape.

I must say that I am only going to rig this ship as the pictures in the instruction booklet and plans that our member Rsj kindly gifted me, so you know that the rigging will not be correct but should look reasonable.
I am also trying to Finnish the hull’s bow using some thin strips of Ice Cream tub plastic.

The rigging is always something that makes a ship look impressive to other people that do not make model ships, and is also the part that is more time consuming.
In my case it is made a little more difficult as I have to make the rigging block.

View attachment 347012

View attachment 347014

View attachment 347015
View attachment 347016

View attachment 347018View attachment 347019View attachment 347017

This will be the last update before Christmas so I would like to wish all members a very merry Christmas.

View attachment 347013
Merry Christmas to you and yours too! Stay safe and stay warm! Nice progress too!

Hi guys,

View attachment 347012

View attachment 347014

View attachment 347015
View attachment 347016

View attachment 347018View attachment 347019View attachment 347017

View attachment 347013
Seasons Blessings, good health and merriment to you, family and your loved ones. Merry Christmas, see you in the New Year.

Back