New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Yes @Uwek, you are right. This is a captured Temeraire-Class, the Le Tigre. The quality from the plans is abolutly fantastic.
And there is still a possibility, that you will find additional drawings at the NMM of other french ships of the same class
-> Very interesting new project

Yes Uwe. I spend a lot of time to compare all the captured Temeraires and their history in the french shipyards and the Tigre was more and more in the focus. After some mails with Jean-Claude Lemineur and some articles from the Logbuch from Johan Gröbner was clear that the french Tigre Plan was the base for the revision in 1794 for the Redoutable. What a luck that the NMM has such wunderful plans from the Tigre. Including all the deckplans.

Today I picked up my copy of Alert AOTS from the shop my packages come into.

Very good hard cover copy and total was about $160 USD.

Now to add behind my Blandford AOTS for reading.

Also to help this week I got my new spectacles for computer work and reading. They work fine for both tasks, only problems is when I stand up and start to walk down the hall the house is fuzzy!

Today I received a parcel from my friend Didier Berti from ancre with some new publications

IMG-5246.jpg

first of all the new monograph of the

LA VOLAGE – A long bark - 1693 by Jean-Claude LEMINEUR

In moment I received the French copy from which I will make a review during the christmas holidays,
the English copy will be released end of January, and as soon as I receive this one, I will adjust and add this also to the review

and

Fitting and rigging a 74-gun model ship by my friend and SOS member @Francis Jonet

a little bit more than one year ago, I got a copy of the original book, once privately published by Francis directly, from which I made already a book review
I am happy to see now, that there is an long awaited version in English available

In addition I received this:

IMG-5247.jpg

LA MARINE DE LOUIS XVI by Patrick VILLIERS​

I received the book as well as the set with 45 plans

and as usual every year the nice Calendar for 2021

IMG-5248.jpg

List of shown models:
LA VOLAGE - Long boat from Dunkirk - 1693 (12/2020)
LE LEUDO - Barque Latine Ligure - 1913 (2021)
LA FLEUR DE LIS - Galleys of Louis XIV- 1690
LE ROCHEFORT - Harbor Yachts - 1787
LE COMMERCE DE MARSEILLE - 118 cannons - 1788

so stayed tuned during the Christmas holidays - I have a lot to read and soon you will find some reviews here in SOS

Today I received a parcel from my friend Didier Berti from ancre with some new publications

View attachment 200333

first of all the new monograph of the

LA VOLAGE – A long bark - 1693 by Jean-Claude LEMINEUR

In moment I received the French copy from which I will make a review during the christmas holidays,
the English copy will be released end of January, and as soon as I receive this one, I will adjust and add this also to the review

and

Fitting and rigging a 74-gun model ship by my friend and SOS member @Francis Jonet

a little bit more than one year ago, I got a copy of the original book, once privately published by Francis directly, from which I made already a book review
I am happy to see now, that there is an long awaited version in English available

In addition I received this:

View attachment 200334

LA MARINE DE LOUIS XVI by Patrick VILLIERS​

I received the book as well as the set with 45 plans

and as usual every year the nice Calendar for 2021

View attachment 200335

List of shown models:
LA VOLAGE - Long boat from Dunkirk - 1693 (12/2020)
LE LEUDO - Barque Latine Ligure - 1913 (2021)
LA FLEUR DE LIS - Galleys of Louis XIV- 1690
LE ROCHEFORT - Harbor Yachts - 1787
LE COMMERCE DE MARSEILLE - 118 cannons - 1788

so stayed tuned during the Christmas holidays - I have a lot to read and soon you will find some reviews here in SOS
We seem to buy the same books from A.N.C.R.E. I am still waiting for the English version of La Volage sometime in January 2021.
Kent

The Ketch-rigged Sloop Speedwell of 1752 by Greg Herbert and David Antscherl
Three methods of scratch-building a ship model

Volume I, The Hull (see below)
1609557455819.png

Volume II, Hull Details and Rigging

Format: 8.5 x 11, 184 pages.
Hardcover with dust jacket.
Hundreds of drawings and photos
8 pages of color photos
4 Plan Sheets

ISBN: 9781732016255
Publisher
: SeaWatchBooks

600_1481.jpg

Synopsis
This is the second and final volume on building this model. It covers completion of the hull and carved works plus the masts, spars, and rigging of the model. The work is based on original draughts and a rigged contemporary model of SPEEDWELL in the Royal Museums Greenwich collection. The book is 8 1/2” x 11” format with 184 pages, bound in hardcover with a dust jacket. An eight-page color section is included along with 4 sheets of plans.

Sample Pages from the book

600_1482.jpg

600_1484.jpg
600_1485.jpg

600_1486.jpg
600_1487.jpg

600_1488.jpg
600_1490.jpg
600_1491.jpg
600_1493.jpg
600_1494.jpg
600_1495.jpg
600_1496.jpg
600_1497.jpg
600_1498.jpg
600_1499.jpg

Accompanying Volume I
Plan Sheet 1
Board plan, frame, platforms, planking explanation, and sheer plan
Plan Sheet 2 Profile, weatherdeck framing, and bulkhead (POB) model patterns
Plan Sheet 3 Lift model patterns
Plan Sheet 4 Bow and Stern frame patterns, cant frame patterns, and weather deck planking
Plan Sheet 5 Square frame patterns

Accompanying Volume II
Plan Sheet 6
Mast and Spars
Plan Sheet 7 Swivel mounts and Standing rigging
Plan Sheet 8 Running rigging for the square yards
Plan Sheet 9 Running rigging for the fore and aft yards

600_1478.jpg600_1468.jpg

Plan sheet 6
600_1467-ink.jpeg

Plan sheet 7
600_1465-ink.jpeg

Sheet Plan 8
600_1464-ink.jpeg

Sheet Plan 9
600_1466-ink.jpeg

Speedwell was chosen as a subject for several reasons. First, it is an attractive smaller ship not often seen in model form. Secondly, the fully-framed hull is less complex to construct than that of a sixth rate. Each frame has fewer pieces than a larger vessel. A model of this size, even at 1:48 scale, consumes little expensive wood. These features an ideal subject for the model-maker's first effort at 'real' framing.
Alternatively, the model-maker may choose to build a POB or solid lift version of this vessel. Instructions and plans are also provided for both these forms of construction.

600_1500.jpg

Thank you Olga for your video book reviews. The quality and teaching value of these books shows how far the ship-modeling hobby has come since the books by Underhill, Roth, and Longbridge, which are classics, but do not compare to these modern build manuals. It's wonderful to read and learn from so many great references published by Ancre and Seawatch...

Back