New kit New Vasa kit from Artesania Latina

I am about to choose the next "project" and as a Swede, Vasa is high on my list. This kit looks very nice to me, but as mentioned above, the price is on the high side. Compared to e.g. Billing Boats kit it is about twice the price. Has anyone looked closer to this kit and do you think it is worth its price?

I am not a fan of Artasenia. They used to produce medium-quality kits before they moved to China. The strategy of the company became something like 'now we are going to make real money' so I don't think they would've moved towards higher quality.
János

I am not a fan of Artasenia. They used to produce medium-quality kits before they moved to China. The strategy of the company became something like 'now we are going to make real money' so I don't think they would've moved towards higher quality.
János
FULLY AGREE. I AM LIVING IN SPAIN and here thy are out. they have given out the products to a whole seller, so their web page is empty. I do not fully agree with your word MEDIUM QUALITY without mention there -at that time - a lower price. I have made a very nice build with San Juan NepusanoI have build KITs for over 50 Years and has always bought "MEDIUM RANGE KITS- (about 359 to 450 € ) and then scratch builds the parts you do not like as the metal parts etc. frankly speaking the last 20 years I mainly only used the laser cut parts, as I am an OLD Facion guy without any expensive tools. the maximum I has -now retired was a DREMEl -3 one fix with cable and 2 battery driven ones.NO ADMIRALTY MODEL KITS and now the new expensive range from AMATI -KITS UP TO MORE THAN 1000 €. I preferred the OCCRE MODELS like el Montanes, Nta. Sra. Pilar, Mercedes etc. All in medium price range and some may say medium quality, but here on "Ship of scale, "right now there are 3 builders building Montanez -following partly my help.
A GOOD COOK can mage a wonderful meal out of medium raw material, whereas a BAD COOK can destroy even the best piece of meat
I have seen here, how one has made a very bad hull of a Model of more than 1000€
left my modified side gallery and right the one from the kit

MONTAÑES-XXX (19).jpg

351--SIDE GALERY.jpg

MONTAÑES-BUILD FROM A TURK (12)1111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
FULLY AGREE. I AM LIVING IN SPAIN and here thy are out. they have given out the products to a whole seller, so their web page is empty. I do not fully agree with your word MEDIUM QUALITY without mention there -at that time - a lower price. I have made a very nice build with San Juan NepusanoI have build KITs for over 50 Years and has always bought "MEDIUM RANGE KITS- (about 359 to 450 € ) and then scratch builds the parts you do not like as the metal parts etc. frankly speaking the last 20 years I mainly only used the laser cut parts, as I am an OLD Facion guy without any expensive tools. the maximum I has -now retired was a DREMEl -3 one fix with cable and 2 battery driven ones.NO ADMIRALTY MODEL KITS and now the new expensive range from AMATI -KITS UP TO MORE THAN 1000 €. I preferred the OCCRE MODELS like el Montanes, Nta. Sra. Pilar, Mercedes etc. All in medium price range and some may say medium quality, but here on "Ship of scale, "right now there are 3 builders building Montanez -following partly my help.
A GOOD COOK can mage a wonderful meal out of medium raw material, whereas a BAD COOK can destroy even the best piece of meat
I have seen here, how one has made a very bad hull of a Model of more than 1000€
left my modified side gallery and right the one from the kit
Your Montanes is beautiful. You are a good cook!
János

And this is called premium class?
Artesania has a cheap fake that does not qualify for the premium title
sorry for the late response.
For a Artesania kit this is
a premium class ship. The most models from Artesania are not from this quality and not historical correct at all.
I got a kit from Corel and Artesania and there is a big difference between this 2 kits.

A view points are..
The wood from Corel is much better the ornaments en statures from Corel are from bronze and much more detailed than the white iron from Artesania.

So yes.. Artesania did a great job with this ship .
And no.... it's still not a real premium quality.

@Mr.Deep Did you made the ornaments yourself???

At the beginning of the topic there is a link to this decor.
$469 is alot of money. But it's also a beautiful piece of artwork

Last week I ordered this little machine 20.000 to 35.000 RPM and almost noiseless. Made for nail polishing but also great for woodcarving.
Screenshot_20210617-215719_AliExpress.jpg
And 2 boxes of tugson milling cutters. So I can make some ornaments myself.
Screenshot_20210617-215816_AliExpress.jpg

Last week I ordered this little machine 20.000 to 35.000 RPM and almost noiseless. Made for nail polishing but also great for woodcarving.
View attachment 239448
View attachment 239450
What did you pay for that.. and where? Please. I used to work in a dental lab and had dental style hand pieces I worked with....You have to keep it clean of dust and debris.

@inge
Just on AliExpress.
This one is made for nailpolishing so it can handle dust fine.
There is a footpaddle for on/of for safety ..
and the hand piece can be bought seperate for $10

Last edited:

View attachment 239448
View attachment 239450

I buy my Micromotors from eBay, for about the third of this price. They work from 0 to 35000 rpm. I use the same 3/32" (2.35mm) shaft burrs. I buy the burrs from an English company and they are not that cheap. What are the prices at Alibaba?
János

Hey, Janos. Being you an expert in carving, (yes, we know and saw this), what kind of Micromotors do you use? Is this a brand name? Burs on Aliexpress is still cheaper. As with everything, you have better quality and so so, but they still cheaper.

HI Jim,
Thanks!
The micromotor is the type, not the manufacturer. The name I am usually after is Marathon. I am a bit confused with this now because Chinese manufacturers shamelessly copy others' equipment so it is difficult to find out which is the real McCoy. I think Marathon is originally South Korean. As I bought the first ones on eBay some 10 years ago they came with a reliable speed control foot pedal, which worked fine. Now the latest micromotors can also be bought with a speed control foot pedal but they turned out to be a lemon. After a few days they go haywire, the speed changes by itself up and down, unreliable, unuseable. Then I found the fine script in the description that the speed control has to be turned down to zero each time before the power supply is turned off. This is crazy. So I ended up with an on-off foot pedal only so the speed has to be adjusted with the know on the power supply. I am pretty sure that I bought the useless Chinese copy - so be cautious!
Confused, are you? So am I!
János

Last edited:
I will probably get executed for saying this:

Producing any kind of kit is a long process and gets much longer and drawn out the larger it is. I could not imagine what all it takes to design and manufacture a kit that even most of the parts fit like they are supposed to.

So, I watched the video and my humble opinion is that I can see where this kit would "fit" in the range of someone that has been starting out to venture into something more vivid (if you will). It is for some and may not be for everyone - the model fits where it needs to fit and it will wind up in the hands of someone and it might be someone here !!!

Sure, it is not an admiralty style or a scratch-built style with elaborate carvings, but still, I can see where this model would be suitable for someone wanting to try.
Not everyone has the endurance and patience to hurry to see the final product of another type of project that could linger on for 4 to 5 years.
When I was starting out, I viewed these model kits with a WOW factor, but now that I have learned a little bit about kits, I can see some flaws - now maybe the WOW factor has diminished a lot and I look at kits a little differently.
The ultimate goal for some that have some kits under their belt is to purchase a monograph and some billet wood and go from there. I have not attained that level and probably never will. If I do, I will have to start with something very basic such as the Le Rochefort by ANCRE or something similar. Or even less than the Le Rocherfort ! :)

As far as the labeling goes - well, unfortunately, it's called marketing.

Last edited:
I buy my Micromotors from eBay, for about the third of this price. They work from 0 to 35000 rpm. I use the same 3/32" (2.35mm) shaft burrs. I buy the burrs from an English company and they are not that cheap. What are the prices at Alibaba?
János
The mills cost abouth $1,10 per piece and they are from good quality for the hobby..

I have not attained that level and probably never will
There was a time in the past ROTF I had calculated in % how much people can build from scratch.
And in another forum I sed this before.

80% of the modelers build kits from the drawings placed by the manufacturer(and that's how the most of us has started the hobby).

15% has the ability to change the kit (like reading books and do some research) and make it historical correct.

5% of the builders has the ability to build from scratch. (That's 0.0015% of all the people in the world ROTFROTFo_O)

I placed myself in the 2nd category.
I buy a kit, do some research and make a unike model with a little help from the manufacturer.

The mills cost abouth $1,10 per piece and they are from good quality for the hobby..

There was a time in the past ROTF I had calculated in % how much people can build from scratch.
And in another forum I sed this before.

80% of the modelers build kits from the drawings placed by the manufacturer(and that's how the most of us has started the hobby).

15% has the ability to change the kit (like reading books and do some research) and make it historical correct.

5% of the builders has the ability to build from scratch. (That's 0.0015% of all the people in the world ROTFROTFo_O)

I placed myself in the 2nd category.
I buy a kit, do some research and make a unike model with a little help from the manufacturer.
In my case, I build in the beginning to build, as I DO NOT HAVE ant LASER CUT to other expensive tools- drawing programs, electric running saw. The most expensive Tools I have ever had is a Dremel and a Proxcn, Most of the rest were scatch build- a good supplier of Wooden parts. I do this, as all KITS has wrong Instruction Manual and starts the build LOG wrong, apart from other mistakes, so in my build- not building any more -mear 80- is about 20 % KITS the rest scratch build. I have - been building for more than 50 Years, but gave up 5 years ago. now using my time to HELP OTHERS,l and as a 100% AMATEUR, total free of charge-Books, Pendrives with Images. only the cost and shipping can be charged as my pension is rather eight money wise WStill have my OLD SAW from the time before Laser Cut came onto the market.

View attachment 239448
View attachment 239450
very good set. Wit the new Dremels There parts like this included in the upper quality

Wit the new Dremels There parts like this included in the upper quality
I've got a dremel but it's to big for my hands for small work. And with the flexible tool is much to noisy. But Dremel is a good tool. My Dremel is 6 years old and I never had any problems with it.

In my case, I build in the beginning to build, as I DO NOT HAVE ant LASER CUT to other expensive tools- drawing programs, electric running saw. The most expensive Tools I have ever had is a Dremel and a Proxcn, Most of the rest were scatch build- a good supplier of Wooden parts. I do this, as all KITS has wrong Instruction Manual and starts the build LOG wrong, apart from other mistakes, so in my build- not building any more -mear 80- is about 20 % KITS the rest scratch build. I have - been building for more than 50 Years, but gave up 5 years ago. now using my time to HELP OTHERS,l and as a 100% AMATEUR, total free of charge-Books, Pendrives with Images. only the cost and shipping can be charged as my pension is rather eight money wise WStill have my OLD SAW from the time before Laser Cut came onto the market.

Thanks, JDS, then the prices are pretty much in line with those from England (HS Walsh)
János

Back