Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

The start of a new adventure.

View attachment 336076

The envisioned outcome of the kit.

View attachment 336078

The kit components that arrived beautifully packed from the Ukraine. (Thank you Pavel and company)

View attachment 336081

The start of the slipway jig.

View attachment 336082

One piece done, lots more to go. The parts need a wee bit of sanding, shaping and several trial fits before final ”permanent” glue fix.

For those not familiar with this kit

View attachment 336087

The slipway that is under construction.

I will post as I complete various stages of the build but it will be here and there since I have three other builds in progress.

I started this log hoping that others who have or will have received their kits will also start build logs. Maybe the “Admins” will consider sponsoring a GROUP BUILD.

Enjoy

Jan
Good morning Jan. No way! Another model. I will certainly pull up a chair here, although I am running out of chairs with you.ROTF. I look forward to your build. Cheers Grant

OK, By now everyone must be wondering how big the slipway is. The top and bottom pieces glued together and ready to be assembled.

67A60397-3828-4170-A1E0-74614513D2EB.jpeg

Thirty four inches long and about eleven inches wide. I’ve started placing the ”ribs” on the bottom section.
A NOTE—— look at the instructions carefully. The ribs have to placed in the BOTTOM of the slipway (pieces #18,#19 and #20). Pieces #15, #16 and#17 are the top. Easy to go wrong here.

The top and bottom are three pieces each that dovetail together. I was puzzled for a bit on how to weigh them down while the glue set. Didn’t have any barbells or large anvil or any other monster weight. Then there was the “Eureka” moment. Box #1 and Box #2 of the kit. Both are heavy enough to make guy bowlegged when picked up. PROBLEM SOLVED!

But now we have minor problem, I quote the Admiral, “ How big is that THING”. Please note the reference to “THING” not “model or ship or “. :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: My tongue in cheek answer, “ Just a little bigger than the Chaperon sternwheeler on the office bookshelf .”:cool:

EDIT: Meant to post this picture also. My improvised weights.

FDF21119-7DF9-4FB1-A081-A3AFBBBEE3BE_1_201_a.jpeg

Jan

Last edited:
Good morning Jan. No way! Another model. I will certainly pull up a chair here, although I am running out of chairs with you.ROTF. I look forward to your build. Cheers Grant
Diversity or mania or ——. Maybe it was the last Covid Booster, Flu shot or a bad cup of Duncan’s best blend. I’d like to blame Pavel and his post on SOS of the availability of San Bartolome kit. Geez what can I say. I’ve got a bad case of shipbuilding and there is no cure.

Plenty of room in the Den for more chairs.

Last edited:
Jan,
Seems to me I recently read your post saying something like “just a few pieces put together” :)
Looks as though you convinced the Admiral to allow you to continue with another build.
We all know when we acquire new wood we can’t resist.
Looks like an interesting build, I’ll certainly pull up a chair.
Great to have you following along.

But now we have minor problem, I quote the Admiral, “ How big is that THING”. Please note the reference to “THING” not “model or ship or “. :rolleyes::oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: My tongue in cheek answer, “ Just a little bigger than the Chaperon sternwheeler on the office bookshelf .
You made your own bed, my friend ...don't come looking for sympathy now! ROTF

Interesting construction technique. With all those pieces you should be kept busy over the upcoming winter. May not have time for your snow machines.
Ugh, snow is a four letter word for us Floridians. Enjoy the build as we are enjoying watching it.

Interesting construction technique. With all those pieces you should be kept busy over the upcoming winter. May not have time for your snow machines.
Ugh, snow is a four letter word for us Floridians. Enjoy the build as we are enjoying watching it.
Indeed, the construction is unique. All the pieces fit as shown in the instructions. No whacking, hammering or other type of force required. Just little bit of sanding on top of the “rib tabs” which will help to align the “rib tab slots” of the top section. Gluing that in place is tomorrow’s session.

Your right SNOW, you either love it or hate it. For me it’s another way to play outside. I learned to ski at a very early age (3 or 4) and had to give that up due “age” at 75. So the snow machine became the snow fun. The neighborhood has access to miles of groomed snowmobile trails and there are several snowmobile clubs close by. :D Love the stuff .:D

Indeed, the construction is unique. All the pieces fit as shown in the instructions. No whacking, hammering or other type of force required. Just little bit of sanding on top of the “rib tabs” which will help to align the “rib tab slots” of the top section. Gluing that in place is tomorrow’s session.

Your right SNOW, you either love it or hate it. For me it’s another way to play outside. I learned to ski at a very early age (3 or 4) and had to give that up due “age” at 75. So the snow machine became the snow fun. The neighborhood has access to miles of groomed snowmobile trails and there are several snowmobile clubs close by. :D Love the stuff .:D
Yup, we lived in NH for eleven years and I had enough snow. Enjoy!

KNOW THE FEELING ON MANY COUNTS JAN,, I TOO HAVE MANY UNFINISHED SAND STARTING TO MANY NEW ONES WILL BE FINSHED A COUPLE SOON, READY TO START ANOTHER ONE. SNOW AFTER OVER 50 YEARS IN SOUTH FLORIDA I LOVE IT AS LONG AS I LOOK AT IT ONLY. THE ONE WHO LOVES IT IS MY GRANDSONS DOG A AKC BREED OF A SHEEP DOG AND A STANDARD POODEL, HE GOES NUTS IN THE SNOW JUMPS AND ROLLS IN IT HOPE TO GET PICTURES OF MILO/SNOW. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON

KNOW THE FEELING ON MANY COUNTS JAN,, I TOO HAVE MANY UNFINISHED SAND STARTING TO MANY NEW ONES WILL BE FINSHED A COUPLE SOON, READY TO START ANOTHER ONE. SNOW AFTER OVER 50 YEARS IN SOUTH FLORIDA I LOVE IT AS LONG AS I LOOK AT IT ONLY. THE ONE WHO LOVES IT IS MY GRANDSONS DOG A AKC BREED OF A SHEEP DOG AND A STANDARD POODEL, HE GOES NUTS IN THE SNOW JUMPS AND ROLLS IN IT HOPE TO GET PICTURES OF MILO/SNOW. GOD BLESS ALL STAY SAFE DON
Yup, I like to stay busy, keep the mind nimble, hands busy doing “something”. I enjoy our Maine seasons, Winter, Spring, Mud season, Summer and Fall. All of them have something to offer. I’ve found that ship building has challenged me to try things I would never have done. Funny that voyage started with a Birthday present four years ago and I’ve completed four builds since then. Each more complicated than the last and I’m still learning as I go.

Our Labrador was great lover of snow, I think he thought he was a Husky. He was always ready rush out and play in the latest snowfall.

D43772EF-E93F-4B29-82D0-8F4F476BC1DD.jpeg

Looking at the first snowfall a couple of winter ago.

Last edited:

Good morning Jan. No snow down here- although Snow Play with snow boards and snowmobiles looks like a blast. The only time I did snowboarding (down in NewZealand at treble cone by Lake Wanaka.) I broke my coxis…fun times.

Your kit looks awesome.

Cheers Grant

Good morning Jan. No snow down here- although Snow Play with snow boards and snowmobiles looks like a blast. The only time I did snowboarding (down in NewZealand at treble cone by Lake Wanaka.) I broke my coxis…fun times.

Your kit looks awesome.

Cheers Grant
I‘m liking this kit. Don’t need bifocals, a magnifier headband, etc., to aid in the construction.

Ah, your snowboarding experience sounds like a big “OUCH”. I was the ” Old Timer/ Old F**t” skier. I rode on 190 to 220cm skis. Never tried the smaller version skis, never tried moguls or any other daring do skiing. Nope just rode the lift to the top of the mountain and enjoyed a great ride down.

Love the fixtures. Be interested to hear how functional they are.
This of course is coming from a fixture guy (me) who sometimes spends way too much time making fixtures and jigs to help in my builds. :)
His fixtures for his Shallop are first rate.

Back