Nikitin San Bartolome 1584 A.D. (Kit #35)

So Jan…..how are your WB and Chaperon going… ROTF ….. just asking ;).
Cheers Grant
Hmm, last I checked they were collection sawdust from this build.ROTF

Oh, cruel grant just cruel. I love it ;)

Yah, yah. It’s OK. I can handle it. :D:D:D. Grant has me looking up Wikipedia items for all the fancy what-ja-ma-call-it-dinga-ma-giny stuff he’s hanging on his sailboat.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.Don’t have a:eek: about horses, cats, mice or any other animal that hangs in the upper reaches of Grant’s Victory.

Next step in the Galleons build.

Watch Pavels‘s YouTube video #4. Look at the build instructions, find the parts and glue them up.

DD753661-EAD4-47C5-AA6C-AECD5809205D.jpeg

Seven pieces laminated to form the false keel.

Not shown in the video but shown in the construction plans — place the glued parts between two boards and add weight.

416B63C8-604E-46B1-89F1-0D3BDEA1FA1E.jpeg

Good old heavy kit boxes come in handy one more time.

This is pretty cool that you can follow the build on You Tube, Jan. I, however, would be disqualified at that point straight off the bat! ROTF

This is pretty cool that you can follow the build on You Tube, Jan. I, however, would be disqualified at that point straight off the bat! ROTF
Yup Pavel has thirty plus videos so far. They are good to watch before starting a particular piece of the build. The build instructions are also excellent.

I’ll be working on the keel today. Many, many pieces to laminate together. Once I’m done with that it’s back to working on the WB. I’ll putz with Galleons frames (23 of them) when I’m stumped, frustrated and looking for a regeneration break:D

Last edited:
Start of the assembly/build process. I’ve completed the keel. Many pieces laminated together and left overnight in my improvised clamping “jig”.

9A0F83E1-4F5F-4F2D-BF88-E0A270915FEC.jpeg

All the bits and pieces glued and ready be weighed down overnight. Pavel‘s video had a good hint about
tightly holding the pieces in shape while the glue set. He suggests binding them together with tape. I happened to have 2 1/2 inch wide painters edging tape that would do the job.

C5245156-C066-4381-9563-90EA12BAA655.jpegThis mornings test of the slipway with the keel locked in. It looks odd but I think I might have the bow support on the wrong end since the keel support looks off.

:D To be continued.

That keel assembly looks lovely, Jan - really nice! What do you mean by the bow support on the wrong end?

That keel assembly looks lovely, Jan - really nice! What do you mean by the bow support on the wrong end?
5B5C9997-A042-4060-A4B3-B9BD32FA0432.jpeg
The circled clamp should probably more attached to the keel. So I’m thinking the bow holder and keel need to be rotated 180 for a better fit in the keel clamps. I’ll have to piddle with the bitts to get the best fit.

View attachment 337121
The circled clamp should probably more attached to the keel. So I’m thinking the bow holder and keel need to be rotated 180 for a better fit in the keel clamps. I’ll have to piddle with the bitts to get the best fit.
Doesn't the whole thing (ship) just slide forward (?) or is the thumbscrew on the stem (the front end) in the way?

Doesn't the whole thing (ship) just slide forward (?) or is the thumbscrew on the stem (the front end) in the way?
Yes and No. I definitely had the jig turned wrong.
IMG_3583.jpeg

BFORE!

IMG_3584.jpeg

AFTER!

Not much wiggle room. For those following and building the slipway. The bow support fits on piece #15, I had it at the opposite end on piece #17 on my first attempt.

Oh, by the way, your wife called and wanted me to remind you that there are a room full of unfinished kits she'd like you to work on...
ROTF I thank you for taking the initiative and calling her. I think she's meeting with an Architect next week. I overheard her chatting about an outbuilding at the end of the property. Something suited to being used as hobby/workshop with a central vacuum cleaner system. Quite the chat about SANDING DUST, SANDING DUST, DUST and more DUST. I have no idea what the PROBLEM is.ROTF

Last edited:
The slipway is done, the false keel and keel are glued together and mounted in the slipway. the next step was to check the fit of the frames.

366D4A0E-2B5F-4D0E-AE8A-F78EE8141008.jpeg

I was pleasantly surprised to note that all the frames except #23 slid easily into their respective slots. Frame #23 needs a little bit adjustment work before it can be placed at the stern.

There is quite a bit of fairing required for the first three or four frames as well as the last four. I’ll try to get to that as I have down periods from my other builds. (Note to Heinrich, Paul and Grant — Chaperon, Duyfken and WB have been vacuumed, dusted and are on the agenda starting tomorrow).

The slipway is done, the false keel and keel are glued together and mounted in the slipway. the next step was to check the fit of the frames.

View attachment 337192

I was pleasantly surprised to note that all the frames except #23 slid easily into their respective slots. Frame #23 needs a little bit adjustment work before it can be placed at the stern.

There is quite a bit of fairing required for the first three or four frames as well as the last four. I’ll try to get to that as I have down periods from my other builds. (Note to Heinrich, Paul and Grant — Chaperon, Duyfken and WB have been vacuumed, dusted and are on the agenda starting tomorrow).
Wow! I love that number of frames! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup That will create a very accurate hull - it looks great Jan!

(Note to Heinrich, Paul and Grant — Chaperon, Duyfken and WB have been vacuumed, dusted and are on the agenda starting tomorrow).

Just with regards to your quote above: My friend, you know my sentiments. Time is a rare and valuable commodity. You need it to spend it on what gives you the greatest enjoyment. If you finish this ship first, so what? Or, if you derive greater enjoyment from this build than from the others ... so what as well! ROTF Build what you love ... love what you build.

Yesterday, for the first time, I took out a racing, single seater surfski. For 50 minutes, I was hanging on for dear life just trying to balance and not tip over. This morning my stomach and upper leg muscles feel like they don't belong to me, and I can hardly walk, but boy oh boy ... did I enjoy it. My point is, we are old enough to throw some "rules" away. Don't let your shipbuilding become a responsibility or a "have-to-do."

Excellent advice Heinrich. I just putz along.There is no hurry or schedule just putzing on one thing or another.

The Jetski/Surfski sounds like a lot of fun. I'm glad you enjoyed that experience sore muscles and all :D.

I have a WB problem I'll post tomorrow. I was surprised I had noticed it before.

I like to thank all of you that have been following my log. It's great to be able to share what I've done. Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment or just taking the time and reading my posts.

Jan

View attachment 337192

Good morning Jan. Worth repeating- this kit looks so cool! I excited for you Jan.
Just with regards to your quote above: My friend, you know my sentiments. Time is a rare and valuable commodity. You need it to spend it on what gives you the greatest enjoyment. If you finish this ship first, so what? Or, if you derive greater enjoyment from this build than from the others ... so what as well! ROTF Build what you love ... love what you build.
True story.
Cheers Grant

Hej, jeg købte San Bartolome #13 men jeg mangler nogle tegninger, jeg modtog kun 1 sæt der viser monteringen af skroget, ingen tegninger af planke og rigning, hvad med dig der købte dette sæt, fik du alle tegningerne

Back