NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Thanks Grant!

Thank you for your thoughts Johan.
I have given this much thought... and I am of the opinion that if they are too large in order to be seen better, it will look bad, and even if the proper scale my ship may look like it has a case of the measles! ROTF And there is no recovering from that!
I feel like the real focus on the side of the hull is going to be all of the cannon port lids which will be red with gold Lion heads. The treenails will be lost in the background, and could even be a distraction.
It is easy to tell someone to drill 3,000 or more tiny holes in their ship and then fill them, when you aren't the one who has to do the work! ;) I have to weigh the work and risk involved, and then ask myself is it worth it. I like the clean look of the hull currently. So I am trying to envision the ship with the nails, I have added them to the wales, but not so sure about the hull.
In addition, in my opinion I think sometimes people want to add them as a way of showing their build is of a higher caliber. At the risk of offending people, I don't think adding a bunch of holes makes you a better craftsman, it just shows you have a lot of patience and determination. A high caliber build has clean joinery and well finished and painted components, etc. It has nothing to do with how many nails you add, once again that is my opinion. So I won't get caught up in the mentality that if I don't add them, then my ship won't be first rate. ;)
So that's some of the things bouncing around in my head as I contemplate nails!

And a final note to all - I think people sometimes forget opinions can be neither right or wrong! Only facts can be right or wrong!
So if I say 2+2=5, then I am wrong. If I say ships look better painted red and gold, I am neither right or wrong, I am merely giving my opinion. ;)
Good morning Dean. True story. Cheers Grant

Good morning Dean. Just loved the treenail thread. My opinion ROTF. There is no rule just do what you want to do. In my case I just had to try these and I really enjoy them on my ship- as inaccurate and out of scale as they may be. The stern…always the difficult part of the ship. I see so many guys struggle here so good luck and enjoy….although with your skill set I see a masterful set of cabins, windows etc….no pressureROTF. Cheers Grant

I tread carefully on this decision because once begun, there is no turning back. And I don’t want to spend countless hours adding something that actually detracts from the ship. So my plan is to test on a piece of wood and hold it up to the ship to make my final decision. ;)
This is exactly the reason why I forewent treenails on both hull and deck. Although, this discussion opened up (again, I might add) an internal discussion on treenails on the unpainted side of the hull. Still the risk of ruining a beautiful planking job is high; high likelihood with major consequences, definitely high up in the red arc.

Good morning Dean. Just loved the treenail thread. My opinion ROTF. There is no rule just do what you want to do. In my case I just had to try these and I really enjoy them on my ship- as inaccurate and out of scale as they may be. The stern…always the difficult part of the ship. I see so many guys struggle here so good luck and enjoy….although with your skill set I see a masterful set of cabins, windows etc….no pressureROTF. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant, I have confidence that I will do the galleries justice. But I am sure there will be challenges and frustration involved. Perhaps even a few redos… ;)

I think that window frame looks perfect! Often, on some of the more prominent POF builds that are currently doing the rounds, I feel that the model is let down by crooked and out of kilter window frames that do not fit properly in the window openings. Yours looks perfect!

I think that window frame looks perfect! Often, on some of the more prominent POF builds that are currently doing the rounds, I feel that the model is let down by crooked and out of kilter window frames that do not fit properly in the window openings. Yours looks perfect!
Thank you Heinrich.
This first one looks promising. Now maintain consistency...
Thank you Johan. One at a time… ;)

Good afternoon Dean. Nice. I see plenty of cons trying them with individual pieces and a big pro if you can pull it off….Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant… I agree with you that the cons outweighs the pros of making them with individual pieces!
There would be 15 pieces per window on the normal sized windows with 12 panes.
If I cut out of one piece, then there is 12 cut outs to make the 12 pane window. It’s stronger as one piece, and won’t have any glue joints (26 needed for individual piece window!)
So I think I am going to make it work! ;)

Second window looks promising, so I am going to make all windows out of one piece. ;)
IMG_2608.jpeg

A quick coat of paint to see the difference…
IMG_2609.jpeg
Certainly not perfect, but at this scale (1/75) I feel like these will look good. And believe it or not, easier to fabricate than cutting and gluing tiny pieces at angles. ;)

Second window looks promising, so I am going to make all windows out of one piece. ;)
View attachment 390009

A quick coat of paint to see the difference…
View attachment 390010
Certainly not perfect, but at this scale (1/75) I feel like these will look good. And believe it or not, easier to fabricate than cutting and gluing tiny pieces at angles. ;)
From what I see now and with your explanation of the why, I am sure that your plan will succeed, Dean. By looking at your drawings you made some steps ahead. You visualize the wanted 3D outcome and I think that your profession helps you a lot with that.
So, fore sure no dustbin of fire …….
Regards, Peter

From what I see now and with your explanation of the why, I am sure that your plan will succeed, Dean. By looking at your drawings you made some steps ahead. You visualize the wanted 3D outcome and I think that your profession helps you a lot with that.
So, fore sure no dustbin of fire …….
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. The tricky part is making all the pieces go together without mismatches and gaps and offsets. They give a bunch of flat parts and do not make any provisions for the curved surfaces or angles of attachment. I studied it for a while and formed a plan of attack! ;)
I will elaborate more soon as it starts to go together. But unfortunately the first step is to make all the windows. Then it will be time to make it all fit together properly with soaked and bent pieces. ;)

Today’s side project…I had ordered more paints and needed to add another shelf to my stand I made…
IMG_2620.jpeg
Nothing fancy, just construction board with wood supports underneath.

IMG_2622.jpeg
But it does the job. ;) I still need more …sigh! I might rebuild it in the future and make one longer and add a section for my dry brushing paints. Will make it out of wood.

But for now, I have windows to make…;)
IMG_2623.jpeg

The current challenge is keeping the openings for the window panes sharp and precise, this thin plywood wants to chip easy and then I have to try to fill it in. They are not as sharp and clean as I would like due to repairs.
If I keep having problems, I may have to resort to plan B. I don’t have any wood thin enough and large enough to make from something else. And the idea was to use the cut outs. I sure hope I don’t have to redo all of these…will see.
I do have blocks of boxwood I bought for all the carvings and I will have to rip some of those into thinner pieces. So I see getting the table saw out in my near future. Probably what I should have made the window frames out of. But I was trying to use the cutouts…sigh!

Last edited:
An interesting discussion over the last few posts about treenails. I thought long and hard about their aesthetic value at a model scale of 1:64 and decided against them, generally. However, I know there are some places where treenails also serve the purpose of providing better securing arrangements i.e. bonding to previously painted or treated surfaces. Selective treenailing I guess.

An interesting discussion over the last few posts about treenails. I thought long and hard about their aesthetic value at a model scale of 1:64 and decided against them, generally. However, I know there are some places where treenails also serve the purpose of providing better securing arrangements i.e. bonding to previously painted or treated surfaces. Selective treenailing I guess.
I agree, there are times you need to nail pieces for strength. Especially if the piece is bent and glue alone won’t hold. ;)
I put nails on my catheads to secure them better and sunk the nail head and added wood putty because it was being painted.

I think the windows look very good Dean. I know that you are not satisfied with anything less than perfection, but I wouldn't change the construction method just yet. Because there are relatively few window frames at the moment, everything is highlighted. When viewed against the backdrop of a fully completed stern with all ornamentation, it will be a different story.

I think the windows look very good Dean. I know that you are not satisfied with anything less than perfection, but I wouldn't change the construction method just yet. Because there are relatively few window frames at the moment, everything is highlighted. When viewed against the backdrop of a fully completed stern with all ornamentation, it will be a different story.
Thank you Heinrich, I appreciate the insight. You are correct…forest from the trees scenario!
With a dark background and the gold trim and carvings, the windows will not be the focal point. However they still need to be nice. ;)

So far…
IMG_2626.jpeg

The current challenge is keeping the openings for the window panes sharp and precise, this thin plywood wants to chip easy and then I have to try to fill it in. They are not as sharp and clean as I would like due to repairs.
If I keep having problems, I may have to resort to plan B. I don’t have any wood thin enough and large enough to make from something else. And the idea was to use the cut outs. I sure hope I don’t have to redo all of these…will see.
I do have blocks of boxwood I bought for all the carvings and I will have to rip some of those into thinner pieces. So I see getting the table saw out in my near future. Probably what I should have made the window frames out of. But I was trying to use the cutouts…sigh!
Paper an alternative, or evergreen plastic sheets?

Back