NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

I think you are doing an admirable job and once all the frames are completed, you can always make individual adjustments when needed. I understand your POA perfectly, seeing that the whole assembly still has to be given a curvature. Doing that with individually assembled pieces and only glue to hold them, will be well-nigh impossible, especially if you need moisture to facilitate the bends. I think you are on a winning ticket here. Just do as you have been doing!
You got some good points here, Heinrich. Building up those frames from bonded individual bits and pieces and than trying to bend the transom piece wíll result in disaster; peel stresses on an adhesive joint, however thin the parts are, never a good idea.

I like the way you have approached the window construction Dean. It’s a real pleasure to follow your build and learn from you.
Thank you Roger. I am always analytical in my approach. So I look at what I am trying to achieve and come up with a plan that has the highest rate of success. ;)
The next steps will show that as well, because that wall has to be accurately located and bent and set at angle between the lower and upper pieces. The lower piece is already bent in an earlier step. The upper will have to be bent as well. Then I will need to soak and bend boards to locate the wall equidistant along the curved edge of the upper and lower pieces. I will explain further when I get there.
Unfortunately I have seen builds of this ship where people took the easy way out and kept all pieces flat. The end result is not flattering. This is a very elegant gallerie with columns and carved railings and a lot of carvings to go on it. Should be fun and challenging, but labor intensive! ;)

You got some good points here, Heinrich. Building up those frames from bonded individual bits and pieces and than trying to bend the transom piece wíll result in disaster; peel stresses on an adhesive joint, however thin the parts are, never a good idea.
In addition, the stresses would be on glue joints with very little bond area! Another recipe for disaster! ;)

Last edited:
On a side note, I am always doing small projects on the side. A result of too many hobbies and interests! ROTF
I sometimes make custom wood parts for my guitars to replace plastic parts. We know wood has better tonal properties than plastic. ;)
IMG_2651.jpeg
So I replaced the black plastic pickup rings and selector switch knob with maple pieces I made and stained and clear coated. The guitar has a spalted maple top, which is very interesting.
IMG_2648.jpeg
On this guitar I replaced the same plastic parts with flamed maple wood. The wood grain is not very dominant due to the size and tone. But I thought it was a nice match for the quilted maple top.

IMG_2652.jpeg

Last edited:
Just checking in to say that I won't have much progress to show in the up coming week and won't be online, as I am taking my granddaughter to Disney for her 6th Birthday! She started 1st grade this month, growing up so fast!
I am still making window frames...I have completed 7 out of 11, so 4 more to go. See you next weekend sometime. Until then, happy modeling. :)

Current progress…
IMG_2654.jpeg

Last edited:
I am taking my granddaughter to Disney for her 6th Birthday!
You are taking her? Isn't that the other way around?
Nevertheless make brilliant memories and spoil her rotten, her parents will deal with the latter...

Those window frames look great, I’m impressed Dean.
Enjoy your time at Disney with your granddaughter, making memories gives a lifetime of joy.
Thank you Roger! I am not completely happy with them, as I feel the inner supports should be thinner. But making the change will be time consuming and comes with risks. ;) So I will decide once I finish all of them, if I want to go back and make them thinner.
Have a great trip Dean! She will remember Disney forever. Take lots of pictures!
Thanks Paul…will do!
You are taking her? Isn't that the other way around?
Nevertheless make brilliant memories and spoil her rotten, her parents will deal with the latter...
No … she isn’t taking me. She can’t drive and she has no money. ROTF
I volunteered to chaperone and go with her parents on the trip… and of course I am paying for her airfare and Disney tickets, etc. That is her present this year, along with money to buy whatever she wants. Family members are giving her money for her birthday to spend there.
This will be her first time to fly in an airplane. Hopefully she enjoys it and doesn’t get scared!

Last edited:
I volunteered to chaperone and go with her parents on the trip… and of course I am paying for her airfare and Disney tickets, etc. That is her present this year, along with money to buy whatever she wants. Family members are giving her money for her birthday to spend there.
This will be her first time to fly in an airplane. Hopefully she enjoys it and doesn’t get scared!
I'm quite sure she'll have a blast, with granddad taking care of her!

This was her first day of public school. She started 1st grade this year. My wife home schooled her last year for kindergarten.
View attachment 390668
The time is running - now she is already in school
Wasn´t it yesterday, that you showed us her first time as a very small child with 2 or 3 years old - WOE
Congratulations!

Enjoy the trip Dean and cherish every moment. And I have to agree with the "spoil her rotten" part. Opportunities like these become increasingly fewer as they grow older.

Great picture Dean. Soon she will be trading those bows/ribbons for Mickey Mouse ears. Enjoy the trip.

Back