NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Dean. Hi. When will you be continuing the Norske love past post 106. I’m in need of seeing your progress photos. Thanks Ron

Hello all,
I have been very busy since coming back from a short Disney vacation. Sometimes work and life get in the way of model ship building! ROTF

I have been very busy at work (50 plus hours a week) and projects around the home. In addition, I am trying to finish a few projects that were in limbo.
One is a portrait of my granddaughter…
IMG_2968.jpeg
It is almost finished, a few minor adjustments here and there to be done.
And I promised the wife I would finish the grandfather clock I am building and get it out of the garage and in the house.
But I am doing fine.
Thanks for checking in on me and rest assured I will be back in due time. I apologize for not following any logs lately, but I have been too busy to even get online and keep up. I am certain I am missing out on some good work and progress by all. I hope to catch up soon.
Take care,
Dean

Last edited:
Welcome aboard everyone, thanks for your support.
I should mention for those who don't know, I started building the Norske Love many years ago, as my first ship build. Unfortunately it didn't survive one of my moves, and was destroyed in the back of a moving truck...sigh! I almost gave up on building ships after that.
But then I found SOS, my enthusiasm was renewed and I built the Cazador and the Bluenose. I am very fond of this ship, and really excited to be building it again with more experience. I have many plans for embellishments, starting with the Lion figurehead.
Here is a pic of my demised first ship...
View attachment 258973
Hi Dean. I have a little bit the same experiance as you. Started many years ago with Cutty Sark and finished it. At that time we had a cat and she demolished the rig totally two times and after that I was tired of rebuilding it so I through it away. Later on, would say late 80's or early 90's I started with the Norwegian Lion; managed to finsish the hull with planking and started with some details and then it stopped for different reasons, job, kids, etc and now it's more or less destroid after being moved around a number of times. Anyhow I just orderded a new kit from Billing Boats and I'm gonna give it a new chance. I have browsed through this thread and I love the way you have built the ship, you have done a tremendous job and it looks just beautiful.

// Krister

Hi Dean. I have a little bit the same experiance as you. Started many years ago with Cutty Sark and finished it. At that time we had a cat and she demolished the rig totally two times and after that I was tired of rebuilding it so I through it away. Later on, would say late 80's or early 90's I started with the Norwegian Lion; managed to finsish the hull with planking and started with some details and then it stopped for different reasons, job, kids, etc and now it's more or less destroid after being moved around a number of times. Anyhow I just orderded a new kit from Billing Boats and I'm gonna give it a new chance. I have browsed through this thread and I love the way you have built the ship, you have done a tremendous job and it looks just beautiful.

// Krister
GOD TAG fra Spanien, men Dansk født. I have been building kits from its star. in beginning the fishing bout
from Denmak. my first big build was in fact Norske LØVE-1970 about. At that time it was not Laser-Cut. Although there were many mistakes- lack of info. I loved this Model -the only one. It went with me from Copenhagen until Madrid Spain. Later - in 1985 about I got the Laser_cut. IT LASTED UNTIL LAST YEAR, WHEN THE WOOD COULD COULD NOT TAKE THE DIFFERENT WEATHER CONDITIONS. anymore
It is a fantastic model, although the wooden part are not that good.
I have a lot of information about how to build it and the Riggen
1975 1985 2022

01_ NORSKE LOVE 1.jpg

03_NORSKE LOVE.jpg

02 Norske love 2.jpg

// Krister
Thank you. Best of luck on your second build. Mine has stalled a few times, but I hope to get back to it soon. ;)

// Krister
HI CRISTER, I apart from NORSKE lOWE, There were two more ships -built by Mr. KRABBE-all alike, except for the decoration. One was Prinz FEDERICH -BUILD HERE ON sos BY Kaliboot or Karl Marce and the 3rd one was Oresund, but known too as Dronning CAROLINE MATHILDE. the last one there is little information. all build nearly at the same time span

HI CRISTER, I apart from NORSKE lOWE, There were two more ships -built by Mr. KRABBE-all alike, except for the decoration. One was Prinz FEDERICH -BUILD HERE ON sos BY Kaliboot or Karl Marce and the 3rd one was Oresund, but known too as Dronning CAROLINE MATHILDE. the last one there is little information. all build nearly at the same time span
Hi El Capi

Yes, I've read about the other two as well, and I'm also gonna check up on Kaliboot's build log to see if I can get some valuable hints about how to build a good model.

// Krister

Thank you. Best of luck on your second build. Mine has stalled a few times, but I hope to get back to it soon. ;)
Thank's Dean. Picked up the new kit today from the post office and big surprise. Today all fittings seem to be included. I have the old fittings kit saved (untouched) and I thought it would be a good idea to use it for the new ship. Back in those days when I bought the first kit you had to buy the fittings separately.

Thank's Dean. Picked up the new kit today from the post office and big surprise. Today all fittings seem to be included. I have the old fittings kit saved (untouched) and I thought it would be a good idea to use it for the new ship. Back in those days when I bought the first kit you had to buy the fittings separately.
Well my first kit (2002) had all hardware included; wooden deadeyes, blocks, etc. And now the new kit has plastic. So I am going to upgrade the blocks and deadeyes with wooden ones.
The kit seems to keep changing. Old kit had the sail patterns printing on cloth. New one just has cloth and patterns printed on paper. Old kit had lines on deck sheets for boards, new one has blank deck sheet. I planked the decks, but the lines would have helped locate the walls. So I just used the full scale plans. However note the cannon ports are not to scale, as they don’t match the plans in size. So you really have to look ahead and make provisions on how you are going to proceed. ;)
In addition, if you read my log, I had an issue with the bulkhead notches being too wide for the thickness of the plywood keel ends. It’s like they got cheap and used thinner plywood and had the old thickness notches. So I had to shim the notches a little bit to center the bulkheads on the ends. Little things that are the result of changes in materials that are not updated on patterns or plans.

Last edited:
Well my first kit (2002) had all hardware included; wooden deadeyes, blocks, etc. And now the new kit has plastic. So I am going to upgrade the blocks and deadeyes with wooden ones.
The kit seems to keep changing. Old kit had the sail patterns printing on cloth. New one just has cloth and patterns printed on paper. Old kit had lines on deck sheets for boards, new one has blank deck sheet. I planked the decks, but the lines would have helped locate the walls. So I just used the full scale plans. However note the cannon ports are not to scale, as they don’t match the plans in size. So you really have to look ahead and make provisions on how you are going to proceed. ;)
In addition, if you read my log, I had an issue with the bulkhead notches being too wide for the thickness of the plywood keel ends. It’s like they got cheap and used thinner plywood and had the old thickness notches. So I had to shim the notches a little bit to center the bulkheads on the ends. Little things that are the result of changes in materials that are not updated on patterns or plans.
Sounds like a typical kit to me. Whatever kit you buy, you have to pay attention to every little detail and go through the build steps in your head and even then surprises may await you.

Sounds like a typical kit to me. Whatever kit you buy, you have to pay attention to every little detail and go through the build steps in your head and even then surprises may await you.
Unfortunately this is true! To blindly trust a wooden ship model kit is a mistake, unlike a plastic model with step by step instructions and illustrations with paint guides. ;)

Hi El Capi

Yes, I've read about the other two as well, and I'm also gonna check up on Kaliboot's build log to see if I can get some valuable hints about how to build a good model.

// Krister
you surely will .I have anyway all his images, so if you cannot finh him or someove missing, Im have them.
For your info. it took 7 Years of study the originaldrawings from mr Krabbe. then about as far Iremember 2o years of buidt. the ship is today in a museum in Denmark on the island of Læsø

you surely will .I have anyway all his images, so if you cannot finh him or someove missing, Im have them.
For your info. it took 7 Years of study the originaldrawings from mr Krabbe. then about as far Iremember 2o years of buidt. the ship is today in a museum in Denmark on the island of Læsø
I am now a few months to reach 80 years old, but I would like to build it again. My two ones were built 1970th and the 2nd in 1980th. a lot has changed since then.

I am now a few months to reach 80 years old, but I would like to build it again. My two ones were built 1970th and the 2nd in 1980th. a lot has changed since then.
I've just passed 71 so I still have a few years to go. Still working full time though, and most of the time down in Poland, so it might take some time to finish this ship, but I'm optimistic, and hopefully I can bring some of the smaller detailes with me to finish on a trip.

Last edited:
I don't know the reason for using different material, but I seem to be in an opposit situation, the keel ends are thicker than the bulkhead notches. I have jus made some quick measuring, but there seems to be a difference of 0,1-0,2mm. I put the whole wooden kit in my heating room, to see if it changes after a couple of days.

Back