NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Finally! All the deck boards for this level are on!
I put the walls in place to see the overall look.
Won’t glue the walls down until I do nails and stain or clear coat. The deck has a camber to it, so the walls will be glued down on the outside edges. It’s just sitting flat right now.
Then I have two more walls to build before I can put on the next level decks. Of course I have to add all the deck beams. But they will get in the way of nailing right now. ;)
472D4FAA-95FD-4F09-A53A-B16E5D24284E.jpeg

Last edited:
She is looking very good Dean. The deck is a picture to behold. So ... her comes the messenger again with his message of "don't shoot me". I know that everybody has commented on your walls and how much they like it. I like them a lot too, but I do not like the "veneer-like" covering of those walls. To me that just begs for a much more detailed finish. How about ...

JPG_1525_6283_bewerkt-1.jpg

this?

She is looking very good Dean. The deck is a picture to behold. So ... her comes the messenger again with his message of "don't shoot me". I know that everybody has commented on your walls and how much they like it. I like them a lot too, but I do not like the "veneer-like" covering of those walls. To me that just begs for a much more detailed finish. How about ...

View attachment 263994

this?
The walls are block panels, but I added columns so they didn’t look so plain. I’m still debating adding a few gold accents. Maybe the inside edges of the frames. Would be some tedious work! ;)

That is my point. On Dutch-designed ships the walls had a "schotelende" effect where overlaying planks were used to make up the walls.

You are doing a grand job on this and I will continue to watch for inspiration. I have a Norske Love kit I bought 25 years ago at an auction but have put off building it partly because some parts are missing (like the decks) and partly because much of it is not laser cut, just marked in outline on the wood and so has to be cut by hand. A lot of work! I assume you kit is more recent?

Put some clear on the deck. I’m not sure what to think yet. I may have to add some brown stain?
View attachment 264018
Hey Dean,
Yeah, slightly darker or keep it as it is. Depends on what you want to present; a more weather-worn look, or a more pristine presentation.
From the Modelbrouwers.nl webpage I copied two pictures of one of the decks of the Batavia, slightly wet ánd about 25 years old:D1CEB448-B6A9-42D2-AEB1-F8137207A50E.jpeg3717DF1F-0B37-4060-ACCC-24C69F4232F9.jpeg

What's also shown are two ways the panels were build, one panel with butt joints (first picture) and one with overlapping joints (second picture). How the walls were build on the NL, I wouldn't know, but may be there are some resources around giving an incling on what the Norwegians did...

Back