NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Exquisite. I can't wait to start working on the construction of a new hull - you have really whetted my appetite.

Thanks Paul! No two are exactly alike, but I can live with that! :p
I think I’m more afraid of making rope, than I am carving…lol. But you and Daniel have set the bar! ;) So when the times comes to start rigging, it looks like I am going to learn!
Dean-Im just blown away how you carve these by hand. o_O

Now for a little insight into the process…
View attachment 270280
After drawing it on a piece of wood (actually 3 glued together), I then cut out the border.

View attachment 270281

Now I carve a line around the edge of the shield, that I will cut and file to.

View attachment 270283

Now I start removing material around the shield to lower the floral pieces, crown, etc. And I start to cut around the lettering.

View attachment 270284

Then I use the rotary tool to carve inside the shield and around the letters. Then I come back and clean it up with an xacto knife.

View attachment 270285

Here the material is removed from around the letters and the floral pieces have been filed to lower the outer edges.

View attachment 270286

The rest of the carving and detail has been added at this point. Carving done.

View attachment 270287

Now I stain it.

View attachment 270288

Now I paint the inside of the shield black.

View attachment 270289

Now I lightly scrape and steel wool the highlights.

View attachment 270290

And finally I add a matte clear coat. This darkens the highlights and makes them more subtle and obviously protects the piece.
Ready to be glued on! ;)

I kind of like it with the more pronounced highlights...hmmm...NO! :p
Fantastic! Thanks for the practicum, was wondering how you did that.

Preparing for the crown.
It was time to remove the crown from the top of the Lion. Then blend the hair to replace the carved out area around it.
7A7B1423-CEC7-4C3B-9657-2ED9FE727D02.jpeg

First I filed and sanded the crown down, close to the top of the head. Then I marked the diameter of the new crown ( I have to carve) at the base. Then started carving the extra material off.

E798BAB4-C4B7-4973-A35F-8B3421C435F3.jpegABBF62CE-B385-4F79-BE40-611EF0A75EC7.jpeg

Then I blended the hair into the carved surfaces, to continue up to where the new crown will sit.

D6DD0E1B-3B7D-40F9-8ADB-89DF068F84CB.jpegAA068FE0-E001-43CC-A774-675BE01B98DC.jpeg6C0163A5-4C35-4833-ACF4-5D823B12E3BA.jpeg

Then I painted the changed areas gold.

Last edited:
Preparing for the crown.
It was time to remove the crown from the top of the Lion. Then blend the hair to replace the carved out area around it.
View attachment 270366

First I filed and sanded the crown down, close to the top of the head. Then I marked the diameter of the new crown ( I have to carve) at the base. Then started carving the extra material off.

View attachment 270367View attachment 270368

Then I blended the hair into the carved surfaces, to continue up to where the new crown will sit.

View attachment 270369View attachment 270370View attachment 270371

Then I painted the changed areas gold.
Looks like the Lion took a bit of your finger tip by the red mark. Great work fixing it up to receive new crown and carving.

Anxious how that's going to turn out, sitting on the edge of my chair.
It should be a fun little side project. I plan to turn the profile first, then carve all the details out of it. ;) I will take pics of the process. I’ve already done it in my minds eye…lol. So I already know what steps I’m going to take and in what order.

It should be a fun little side project. I plan to turn the profile first, then carve all the details out of it. ;) I will take pics of the process. I’ve already done it in my minds eye…lol. So I already know what steps I’m going to take and in what order.
Aha, visualizing and planning ahead. Thumbs-Up

Back