NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Hi Dean. Nice to see the steps how you made the coat of arms. With the constant quality!
And now realizing the new crown on the Lion. The example looks challenging. I wonder what creation you show us.
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. I’m looking forward to the crown, and the hatchet, I have to add to the Lion. A nice diversion from fairing the hull and planking! ;)

I removed the material for the slot…a lot to remove. For now I will stop, as the final adjustments for depth and width will come after the bowsprit is in place and the crown is on the Lion.
Plus there are additional pieces that go on each side of the keel, prior to planking. They are used in place of a rabbet, to terminate the hull planks.
What I have for now…
56B1DDA8-4E49-4809-93D0-0DEFE39229EB.jpeg6C7EA325-BC08-47ED-8D80-71B5696B62DA.jpegC416BE71-B699-40BD-AD62-D89D71B1ABBE.jpegE5BE3969-46F4-4140-8422-B5D0721ECA47.jpeg

I removed the material for the slot…a lot to remove. For now I will stop, as the final adjustments for depth and width will come after the bowsprit is in place and the crown is on the Lion.
Plus there are additional pieces that go on each side of the keel, prior to planking. They are used in place of a rabbet, to terminate the hull planks.
What I have for now…
View attachment 270568View attachment 270569View attachment 270570View attachment 270571
That's a Lion on a King's Throne. That will become a eyecatcher on your NL!

That's a Lion on a King's Throne. That will become a eyecatcher on your NL!
Thank you Peter!
In my opinion, the figurehead is one of the most important pieces on a ship. Which why I am putting so much effort into it! That and the rails that go behind it.
After that, the galley can make or break a ship! I have a lot of embellishments in mind for the stern as well! ;)
So many little things add up to make the big picture…

What I have for now…
View attachment 270568View attachment 270569View attachment 270570View attachment 270571
Well that’s what I call craftsmanship , a masterpiece coming along, my compliments Dean !

Preparing for the crown.
It was time to remove the crown from the top of the Lion. Then blend the hair to replace the carved out area around it.
View attachment 270366

First I filed and sanded the crown down, close to the top of the head. Then I marked the diameter of the new crown ( I have to carve) at the base. Then started carving the extra material off.

View attachment 270367View attachment 270368

Then I blended the hair into the carved surfaces, to continue up to where the new crown will sit.

View attachment 270369View attachment 270370View attachment 270371

Then I painted the changed areas gold.
Excellent!

I’ve spent the last couple of days fairing the hull. I’m not even done with one side of the ship! I added some filler wood at the bow. I’ve been carving, filing, sanding, filing, and sanding!!! You get the idea! Still not done with the filler material on the bow. I’m starting to think the provided frame is too short…would not surprise me! If so, I have to add some wood to it. I will know once I sand enough to get the final shape.
Pic…
62FFB27F-5015-422A-9F28-C86FA5278C71.jpeg

I’ve spent the last couple of days fairing the hull. I’m not even done with one side of the ship! I added some filler wood at the bow. I’ve been carving, filing, sanding, filing, and sanding!!! You get the idea! Still not done with the filler material on the bow. I’m starting to think the provided frame is too short…would not surprise me! If so, I have to add some wood to it. I will know once I sand enough to get the final shape.
Pic…
View attachment 271142
Now, that is a fair amount of work to create sawdust by hand, steady and true. Rich

Greetings from Brooklyn, Mia Amigo.
If I may, one of my recommendations while fairing the hull, is to use a long sanding block. Depending on the given bulkhead layout, it should cover at least 3 neighboring bulkheads. This will ensure an even fairing and avoid gaps. Also, use flat\even wooden block (1 ~ 1.5 inches wide) made out of plywood for example. Move this block only in one direction (not back & forth). Do NOT use any soft sanding blocks.

Pic…
View attachment 271142
Ahh and I thought your shipyard was idle. That is a cool workstation for your tools Dean. Did you make it?

Greetings from Brooklyn, Mia Amigo.
If I may, one of my recommendations while fairing the hull, is to use a long sanding block. Depending on the given bulkhead layout, it should cover at least 3 neighboring bulkheads. This will ensure an even fairing and avoid gaps. Also, use flat\even wooden block (1 ~ 1.5 inches wide) made out of plywood for example. Move this block only in one direction (not back & forth). Do NOT use any soft sanding blocks.
Thanks Jimsky. Those are good tips!
I mainly use my long metal file, seen on the upper left. And my large sanding block, on the upper right. For the bottom of the frames and at the upper frames where there are smaller inside curves, I use a large wooden dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it, seen on the right. I never use soft sanding blocks except maybe on the bow filler, and only to do final sanding, since it’s a spherical or domed surface. But even that is very limited. ;) I also used a smaller wooden block for the bow filler area because it’s so small. Once I get the filler down to the frames, then I will average with the large file and sanding block. I also use a metal ruler to check my frames.

Last edited:
Pic…
View attachment 271142
Nerve wrecking job. This is where the difference is made between failure and succes.
Good luck Dean! Thumbs-Up

PS No doubt in my mind whatsoever that this will turn out to be more than successful ...

Back