NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

I’ve spent the last couple of days fairing the hull. I’m not even done with one side of the ship! I added some filler wood at the bow. I’ve been carving, filing, sanding, filing, and sanding!!! You get the idea! Still not done with the filler material on the bow. I’m starting to think the provided frame is too short…would not surprise me! If so, I have to add some wood to it. I will know once I sand enough to get the final shape.
Pic…
View attachment 271142
We all know: invest now in time and later you will see the result!
If BB has that as a business philosophy, it would have saved you a lot of work.
But I know: you are going to fix this very nice!
Regards, Peter

I’ve spent the last couple of days fairing the hull. I’m not even done with one side of the ship! I added some filler wood at the bow. I’ve been carving, filing, sanding, filing, and sanding!!! You get the idea! Still not done with the filler material on the bow. I’m starting to think the provided frame is too short…would not surprise me! If so, I have to add some wood to it. I will know once I sand enough to get the final shape.
Pic…
View attachment 271142
Fairing the hull, one of my least favorite things to do. That looks like a tough bow bend but the obechee is a great wood for that.

Nerve wrecking job. This is where the difference is made between failure and succes.
Good luck Dean! Thumbs-Up

PS No doubt in my mind whatsoever that this will turn out to be more than successful ...
Thanks Johan, I move slow on this part and keep checking with a board, looking for low or high spots.

We all know: invest now in time and later you will see the result!
If BB has that as a business philosophy, it would have saved you a lot of work.
But I know: you are going to fix this very nice!
Regards, Peter
Thanks Peter. This part really slows me down, so I’m thinking a week minimum getting this done. Maybe longer…sigh!

Truth be known, even though I am on vacation this week, I am getting less done on the ship than when I work…lol. I have a list of things to get done around the house, helping babysit my granddaughter, and then of course Thanksgiving day there will be no work. So I am moving slow this week.
However my granddaughter wanted to glue on some boards. Not on the ship I said!…but I showed her how to put glue on the planks with a toothpick and place them on a scrap piece of wood. She will be planking soon… ;)

Last edited:
Truth be known, even though I am on vacation this week, I am getting less done on the ship than when I work…lol. I have a list of things to get done around the house, helping babysit my granddaughter, and then of course Thanksgiving day there will be no work. So I am moving slow this week.
However my granddaughter wanted to glue on some boards. Not on the ship I said!…but I showed her how to put glue on the planks with a toothpick and place them on a scrap piece of wood. She will be planking soon… ;)
View attachment 271321
I know these are memories she will keep for life.

View attachment 271321
Hmm, friendly takeover... ;)

I removed the material for the slot…a lot to remove. For now I will stop, as the final adjustments for depth and width will come after the bowsprit is in place and the crown is on the Lion.
Plus there are additional pieces that go on each side of the keel, prior to planking. They are used in place of a rabbet, to terminate the hull planks.
What I have for now…
View attachment 270568View attachment 270569View attachment 270570View attachment 270571
A lion with attitude. It looks majestic!

View attachment 271321
Kill two birds with one stone, Dean, teach her how to fair the hull ;)

View attachment 271321
Dean you can tell us....she made those carvings ...ROTFROTFROTFROTF. Seriously tho, you must enjoy her company in your shipyard.

I am happy to once more your grandchild helping you - you are a lucky guy my friend - Enjoy the time as much as possible, because they are growing so fast
Thank you Uwek! She is 4 now, and I hate for her to grow up and start school. She’s already such a big part of our lives, being here during the day while her mother is at work. So I try to spend as much time with her as I can. ;)

Shhhh…don’t tell anyone! :p
She my angel, and my shadow. She follows me everywhere and always wants to help. I always miss her when she goes home! :(

Shhhh…don’t tell anyone! :p
She my angel, and my shadow. She follows me everywhere and always wants to help. I always miss her when she goes home! :(
That's what granddaughters are supposed to be: guardian angels for their besotted and sometimes rather clueless and stupid granddads. (Says one granddad to the other.) :)

Well I got tired of sanding and filing the frames! So hull fairing is on hold while I make a crown for the Lion.
He was complaining he is a king, and therefore needs a crown. So I must comply! :p
It’s hard to see the detail right now, but it’s starting to take shape. I’m hopeful it’s going to turn out nice.
E16CD30B-BB21-43E4-8A81-0C6C1258D65F.jpegD0CD94CF-A7CA-4310-A6E2-C4089AF8F01E.jpeg9AC725DE-D459-4F9F-B53B-56EFFB70EE9C.jpeg

Back