NORSKE LOVE - Billing Boats 1:75 scale

Nice save..Over here there's a saying about breasts and model trains; meant for kids but grown-up men are playing with them. Now this extends to Lego as well.
I told my wife yesterday… the difference between a child building a model and a grown man building one, is the level of expertise! ROTF

Last edited:
Looking at my 1/72 scale airplanes got me sidetracked! I am currently in the non ship section building an airplane. ROTF
But the NL will get her turn very soon. ;)
I think you and the NL don't like each other very much; first you let you interrupt yourself by the Sopwith Camel, then came alomg the Lotus '72 and now you're letting yourself distracted again by yet another build.
That Lion is getting a soar throat, screaming for attention.... ROTF

I think you and the NL don't like each other very much; first you let you interrupt yourself by the Sopwith Camel, then came alomg the Lotus '72 and now you're letting yourself distracted again by yet another build.
It is such a big project (several years long), that sometimes I feel like working on one of my other models that can be completed in a short time.
It also keeps me from getting bored.
Currently I am faced with cannon ports, nails, cannons, beakshead rails, etc. and none of those things excite me at the moment! ROTF What did catch my interest was one of my airplane kits. It can be completed in a week or two.
So for now, until I resume tasks on the NL, I will be here:

Last edited:
Thanks. Dean helpful. I wanted to get a similar look to your deck which I really like and a great job.
But I took some advice from a model shop and sealed the main deck. Then sanded 2 grades then matt varnish. ( I had used cotton as caulking not a bad job for my first go around ). But my deck looks more like a new yacht than an old ship. I’m also told by same shop I now cannot now use a water based stain on top (from your advice )I still have the other decks planked and in place but without treatment. Apart from sealing and sanding. Have you any rectification ideas to rescue main deck and what I could do to ther decks. I hope this is not to long

Dean. I understand you being sidetracked and doing some bits at times just don’t do it for you Me neithe. I have worked hard on my model and got it to similar stage as your NL. But not up to your standard but I am happy with it. My hill planking is exactly where you are and I cannot at moment find reference materials to see how to progress lower down the hull and all the difficult bends and now looks like twists. I for one will be pleased when you finish your plane. Ps thanks for sharing your skills. They are magical and you have set a very high bench mark.

Thanks. Dean helpful. I wanted to get a similar look to your deck which I really like and a great job.
But I took some advice from a model shop and sealed the main deck. Then sanded 2 grades then matt varnish. ( I had used cotton as caulking not a bad job for my first go around ). But my deck looks more like a new yacht than an old ship. I’m also told by same shop I now cannot now use a water based stain on top (from your advice )I still have the other decks planked and in place but without treatment. Apart from sealing and sanding. Have you any rectification ideas to rescue main deck and what I could do to ther decks. I hope this is not to long
I am not sure if you have anything on your main deck yet, but if you can sand it, then you can sand off the finish and add any type clear or stain you chose, including water based.
If you cannot sand it down to the wood again, then you may be faced with matching what you did already on the remaining unfinished decks.
Also you can scrape the deck some with a razor prior to sanding. That will save you some work.
Anyway hope that helps you decide what options you will use.

Dean. I understand you being sidetracked and doing some bits at times just don’t do it for you Me neithe. I have worked hard on my model and got it to similar stage as your NL. But not up to your standard but I am happy with it. My hill planking is exactly where you are and I cannot at moment find reference materials to see how to progress lower down the hull and all the difficult bends and now looks like twists. I for one will be pleased when you finish your plane. Ps thanks for sharing your skills. They are magical and you have set a very high bench mark.
Thank you, I appreciate the compliment. I just enjoy model building, and not just on ships or with wood. So a lengthy project means putting other models on hold for years. I am not always willing to do that. In fact, the shortest ship build I have done still lasted 9 months! And in that time I also pursued other hobbies.
So I will always take small breaks during a long project. That is why I choose models I can build in a couple of weeks or a month. That way I can get back to the ship.
In conclusion, I will finish her, just not rushing to the finish line. ;)

He oversees the other projects and seems to be content to be on the ship finally! ;)
IMG_2344.jpeg

Last edited:
Currently I am faced with cannon ports, nails, cannons, beakshead rails, etc. and none of those things excite me at the moment!
I applaud those who undertake the building of a ship with multiple cannons, with all their different parts, the build of which has to be repeated over and over again. And than the masts with their yards, shrouds, ratlines and what not. I'm already fed up by having to do about 180 ratlines, give or take a few and some 90 (?) reef lines.
The funny thing is while I am impressed by ships like the NL, the Wasa or the Batavia, I do not desire to build a model of such a ship and I could not give you any argument as to why not.
Nevertheless I expect to see you sooner than later back in your shipyard; the Lion will not sleep forever, nor is he a lenient ruler...

I applaud those who undertake the building of a ship with multiple cannons, with all their different parts, the build of which has to be repeated over and over again. And than the masts with their yards, shrouds, ratlines and what not. I'm already fed up by having to do about 180 ratlines, give or take a few and some 90 (?) reef lines.
The funny thing is while I am impressed by ships like the NL, the Wasa or the Batavia, I do not desire to build a model of such a ship and I could not give you any argument as to why not.
Nevertheless I expect to see you sooner than later back in your shipyard; the Lion will not sleep forever, nor is he a lenient ruler...
I agree there is a large amount of repetition on big war ships. I have 72 cannon ports and lids, and there will be thousands of rat lines and clove hitches to tie, hundreds of nails, many cannon assemblies and around 25 sails… just to name a few items! ;)
I have always been attracted to the war ships with a lot of cannons and ornamentation. They are beautiful, but obviously a big commitment of time and work.
I am currently inundated with working on tiny WW1 aircraft. But upon completion, I will be back to work on the NL… making cannon ports, etc. ROTF. The boredom of repetitive task’s sometimes makes working on a small project more appealing. In the end, I will finish the NL, but it’s at least a couple of years work ahead of me!

Last edited:
Dear Dean. I have said elsewhere that the NL was one of those builds that I will put aside for close scrutiny. Oh boy - she looks lovely. First off, I love the stern section - it rocks big time! The color combination and "stepped construction" (for want of a better term) in the transom makes for a completely different look compared to the first model. There is much more depth that you have created on #2 - no doubt this will be the superior model of the two.

Secondly the lion. We all know that the lion has been a focal point for some time, but now that the lion has been added to the ship, it just blends in. That to me is the secret of this whole build. Everything is so well integrated - from the color scheme to the wood timbres - everything just gels! Now I will follow with regularity (hopefully).

I get the sidetracked bit of the WWi airplane build, but I do have an important question in that regard. When are you going to start the Nieuport?

Dear Dean. I have said elsewhere that the NL was one of those builds that I will put aside for close scrutiny. Oh boy - she looks lovely. First off, I love the stern section - it rocks big time! The color combination and "stepped construction" (for want of a better term) in the transom makes for a completely different look compared to the first model. There is much more depth that you have created on #2 - no doubt this will be the superior model of the two.

Secondly the lion. We all know that the lion has been a focal point for some time, but now that the lion has been added to the ship, it just blends in. That to me is the secret of this whole build. Everything is so well integrated - from the color scheme to the wood timbres - everything just gels! Now I will follow with regularity (hopefully).

I get the sidetracked bit of the WWi airplane build, but I do have an important question in that regard. When are you going to start the Nieuport?
Thank you very much Heinrich! It was equally important for me to make sure the grating and ladders fit with what I did on the deck. It seems I still have some decisions to make eventually on the design elements. Many deck furnishings, etc. At least I know what the stern galleries are going to look like in my mind! ROTF
I look forward to making more progress on her soon.

As far as the Nieuport goes, that is a challenge time wise. I am trying to finish up my current kit of 3 WW1 German airplanes in 1/72 scale. Working on the second airplane now. Once finished with this kit, I want to resume work on the NL.
I also have the 1/16 scale Albatros to do. I was originally going to start with the Nieuport, but the Camel kit arrived first. And I was itching to build one of those Model Airways kits.
I also have more airplanes and cars to build. It seems something will always take a back seat to the current project.
So to answer your question…finally…I will most likely build the Nieuport the next time I need a break from the ship. ;)

Well my side project was finished and it’s back to the NL.
First my side project…
IMG_2523.jpegIMG_2524.jpeg

Three airplanes in 3 weeks! But glad I built them, was an interesting and fun project.

As for the Norske Love…
IMG_2566.jpeg
There is still so much to do, I often wonder what to work on next. I think I need to finish the cannon ports on this side. Then I will ponder treenails at this scale. At 1/75 scale, I fear I would have to use my smallest bit, which is .013”, and that’s smaller than a pencil tip. I am not even sure they would be visible unless you were less than 1ft from the model. So still undecided on that! ;)

Well my side project was finished and it’s back to the NL.
First my side project…
View attachment 389062View attachment 389063

Three airplanes in 3 weeks! But glad I built them, was an interesting and fun project.

As for the Norske Love…
View attachment 389064
There is still so much to do, I often wonder what to work on next. I think I need to finish the cannon ports on this side. Then I will ponder treenails at this scale. At 1/75 scale, I fear I would have to use my smallest bit, which is .013”, and that’s smaller than a pencil tip. I am not even sure they would be visible unless you were less than 1ft from the model. So still undecided on that! ;)
Good morning Dean. Cool planes. I’m surprised the Fokker triplane is not red for Manfred (“The red Barron”);). Treenails….you are correct you don’t see them at that scale unless you are close (I did 0.4mm at my 1:60) but they do look cool when you check out the ship detail. Are a pretty tedious exercise tho - I’m surprised I even started themROTF. Cheers Grant

Back