NORWAY`S HMS BLANDFORD CROSS SECTION BUILD 1-32

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

You are on a very good way - the elements are looking very good
BTW: belayed All the Best to your Birthday ......

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

Looks great. Cut off the tips of the toothpicks then put them in dye for a couple days it’ll penetrate. Did you use “caulking” between the deck planks ? Lower and main ?

Last edited:

Kurt Konrath

Kurt Konrath

@ tonphil1960, toothpicks were immersed in black stain for two days, early in the project this worked very well, and black paper was used in between planks.
Otherwise, thank you for your interest and likes. regards-

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

@ tonphil1960, toothpicks were immersed in black stain for two days, early in the project this worked very well, and black paper was used in between planks.

Yes point is the wood of the toothpick will take the stain better if its cut off. Then the stain can penetrate from the larger round end. I'm using paper too for caulking. Did you dye paper or buy black paper. What thickness ? I dyed some stiff card stock index card thickness I think it'll work ok.

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Yes point is the wood of the toothpick will take the stain better if its cut off. Then the stain can penetrate from the larger round end. I'm using paper too for caulking. Did you dye paper or buy black paper. What thickness ? I dyed some stiff card stock index card thickness I think it'll work ok.
If you want to imitate just caulking for treenails plugs or treenails top, it is desirable the black stain\ink doesn't penetrate all the way. We need just a small black ring around the treenail to imitate caulking.

If you want to imitate bolts, the stain or ink should penetrate the material all the way.

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

If you want to imitate just caulking for treenails plugs or treenails top, it is desirable the black stain\ink doesn't penetrate all the way. We need just a small black ring around the treenail to imitate caulking.

If you want to imitate bolts, the stain or ink should penetrate the material all the way.
Agree 100% mine stayed slightly lighter in the center and that’s the way they should look. Not stark white but just lighter than the outside.

@ tonphil1960, the paper I have made of paper towels, garage type, colored with black stain, thanks for the tip about toothpicks, I will try, greetings-